Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Norman Finkelstein on Al Jazeera

I think he's someone who has his problems eg. underplaying anti-semitism. But he's still good on this.

Subhuman?
It was a horrible act that Hamas did. Can't call hamas sub human for doing this it upsets people.

I apologise for calling hamas sub-human. Didn't realise it would anger people on here.

The festival crowd were innocent civilians.

It was a horrible act that Hamas did. Can't call hamas sub human for doing this it upsets people.

I apologise for calling hamas sub-human. Didn't realise it would anger people on here.

It didn’t upset people as such. It just gave a big glimpse as to you.

The killing of unarmed civilians by the military wing of Hamas was despicable but not inexplicable. If people are treated in a dehumanising fashion, then they are more likely to behave in an inhumane way.

You can refuse to pick a side if you want, but you can't deny which side has all the power in this asymmetrical situation. You cannot deny which is the dispossessed people nor who dispossessed them. How can Israel arrive at a position from which it can negotiate a meaningful settlement without acknowledging these basic, obvious facts.
It never will while people demand others pick aside against it. Which underlines the point. Tribalism like this only ensure conflict.

The festival people were friends of the Palestinian people. Hamas slaughtered them precisely because they could allow people to realise that the sides in this are an illusion designed to continue conflict.

It never will while people demand others pick aside against it. Which underlines the point. Tribalism like this only ensure conflict.

hmm at we have 2.2 million people without heat , power of food in an illegal act of collective punishment

and the same time Israel is lining up tanks to level a city

from a humanity stand point that should give a suggestion

"Israeli diplomats deny their goal is to expel Palestinians from Gaza as they fight Hamas, although the defence minister, Yoav Gallant has said the plan is to “eliminate everything”. Another minister, Gideon Sa’ar, has said Gaza “must be smaller at the end of the war”."

2000 tiny islands you won't have heard of apart from Guam maybe, which definitely has US connections.

Yes they are equal votes. But the UN means shit with the vetos.
Theres even a wikipedia entry:

Includes examples of various votes, and also:

Micronesia is a former United Nations Trust Territory administered by the United States. It became sovereign in 1986 through a Compact of Free Association, which establishes mutual economic and defence responsibilities between the two countries. The Marshall Islands and Palau -the other two countries which consistently support Israel at the United Nations[12]- are also former U.S. territories bound by the Compact.

2000 tiny islands you won't have heard of apart from Guam maybe, which definitely has US connections.

Yes they are equal votes. But the UN means shit with the vetos.

It's only Security Council resolutions that are binding not General Assembly ones and the former get vetoed by the US when it involves Israel.

Yes, which leads to stuff like this:

Don't want to derail with lefty trainspotting stuff, but I'm genuinely surprised by how much they are glorifying the attacks last weekend. I was a member for a bit as a student over a decade over and while I have a lot of criticisms of them, unqualified support for terrorism - including killing children - was not something I could imagine from them back then. Wtf is going on with them or has the world in general just gone mad?

Last edited:
Don't want to derail with lefty trainspotting stuff, but I've genuinely surprised by how much they are glorifying the attacks last weekend. I was a member for a bit as a student over a decade over and while I have a lot of criticisms of them, unqualified support for terrorism - including killing children - was not something I could imagine from them back then. Wtf is going on with them or has the world in general just gone mad?

Yeah, it's really horrible and potentially discrediting to the left.

Don't want to derail with lefty trainspotting stuff, but I've genuinely surprised by how much they are glorifying the attacks last weekend. I was a member for a bit as a student over a decade over and while I have a lot of criticisms of them, unqualified support for terrorism - including killing children - was not something I could imagine from them back then. Wtf is going on with them or has the world in general just gone mad?
Thought I'd look at reading the actual articles to see if it was more nuanced. And well...

Jeremy Corbyn was far too even-handed when he tweeted, “The unfolding events in Israel and Palestine are deeply alarming. We need an immediate ceasefire and urgent de-escalation.”

That was just as Hamas fighters were defeating their oppressors. Corbyn added, “Ending the occupation is the only means of achieving a just and lasting peace.”

Looks like the two state Solution is now never going to happen?
I fear you may be right…I just can’t see how that based on the pre 67 borders will for part of a settlement while Hamas (and Iran) exist and while Israel is ruled by a criminal.

hmm at we have 2.2 million people without heat , power of food in an illegal act of collective punishment

and the same time Israel is lining up tanks to level a city

from a humanity stand point that should give a suggestion
Humanity also includes the Jews and their well being. Until they feel truly safe and Iran funded groups like Hamas are gone the occupation will continue…

Back
Top Bottom