Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Please see my earlier post.

If you want potholes filled in, you may have some success. If you want the US to compromise on their asset in the Middle East, forget it.

You're right. Lobbying might embolden a few outliers, nothing more. Then again marching achieves even less. That's no reason not to do it I suppose, but nothing human beings can do will match the power of money.

A couple of years ago or so on urban there was an interesting conversation along the lines of Why Is The British Left So Obsessed With Palestine, and the case was made that it was a bizarre, unproductive and for some even anti-Semitic obsession.

I can't remember which posters were making that case the most, and I'm not interested in searching back to tag anyone or anything like that, but I wonder if anyone reading this who felt that then feels differently now, or not even.

A couple of years ago or so on urban there was an interesting conversation along the lives of Why Is The British Left So Obsessed With Palestine, and the case was made that it was a bizarre, unproductive and for some even anti-Semitic obsession.

I can't remember which posters were making that case the most, and I'm not interested in searching back to tag anyone or anything like that, but I wonder if anyone reading this who felt that then feels differently now, or not even.

It’s not the “British Left” that’s “Obsessed” with Palestine. Globally, people often regardless of formal political positions disapprove of apartheid. More so, genocide. Here’s the UN voting results on Palestinians right to self determination.

IMG_0150.jpeg

This is basic human decency on show, not a niche political “obsession”.

If I was going to raise glib and abstract slogans I'd be calling for a "no state solution".
I went to a talk by a Kurdish bloke a few years ago, where he put forward the ideals of the Rojava Kurds, democratic federalism, secularism etc as a blueprint for other parts of the world, Middle East in particular. Maybe no-one will buy the ideas right now, but I don't think they are merely glib and abstract.

It's just a convenient way of packaging the event, so the solution can be sold as obliterating Hamas (not that they will manage; a new generation of fighters will be borne from this) and Gaza. If you want to try and reach an actual acceptable solution, you need to understand it as part of a long-running conflict and understand the various points of controversy.
It’s history. You have to segment events to understand them and the context they exist in. Otherwise it’s just a gigantic narrative with no insight into the workings of how it operates.

There’s a weird dynamic at work; this isn’t football, no one should feel pressured to pick a side because it’s exactly that mindset that fuels conflict. There’s no settlement via polarised positions…
You can refuse to pick a side if you want, but you can't deny which side has all the power in this asymmetrical situation. You cannot deny which is the dispossessed people nor who dispossessed them. How can Israel arrive at a position from which it can negotiate a meaningful settlement without acknowledging these basic, obvious facts.

It’s history. You have to segment events to understand them and the context they exist in. Otherwise it’s just a gigantic narrative with no insight into the workings of how it operates.

Yeah, but the Israelis and many of our own politicians would happily push a narrative in which the Palestinians don't suffer under occupation, apartheid and Israeli state violence (and that allowed by settlers), in which land isn't still being stolen, where this is T0 and nothing came before it. It's really important to constantly emphasise the context of this latest violence, especially as many people probably get their news in one minute bites (not on here obv).

It’s not the “British Left” that’s “Obsessed” with Palestine. Globally, people often regardless of formal political positions disapprove of apartheid. More so, genocide. Here’s the UN voting results on Palestinians right to self determination.

View attachment 395606

Interesting. So if all these countries support Palestinian self-determination, where's the push been to get this sorted?

And I agree with you too.

Where do/should we start? Oslo Accords? 1970s? 1940s? Earlier? Antiquity?

The current war - the word used by Israel - began with a terrorist act. We should be able to agree on that.

Where you need to start on this one is the blockade of Gaza. It's not just a restriction on movement and it is not Israel doing a "bad" that has provoked a cycle of violence, it is economic degradation that has kept the enclave on the brink of humanitarian disaster, mass unemployment, no prospects and abject desperation for 15 years. Non of the events we have witnessed in the past 8 days have anything to do with anything else including the broader Israel-Palestine conflict. Gazans were willing to march unarmed to the border under fire in 2018. That was where Gaza was at. Internationally they were getting forgotten, Arab governments were normalising with Israel. Doing nothing was not an option.

View attachment 395606

So on one side you have Israel, USA, Micronesia, Nauru and the Marshall Islands...versus most of the rest of the world.

And yet here we still are.

Micronesia is a good one. Must have ties to the USA I don't realise. Russia threatened them, by name, early on in the Ukraine war. Probably felt the Marshall Islands had been bombed enough.

So on one side you have Israel, USA, Micronesia, Nauru and the Marshall Islands...versus most of the rest of the world.

And yet here we still are.

Micronesia is a good one. Must have ties to the USA I don't realise. Russia threatened them, by name, early on in the Ukraine war. Probably felt the Marshall Islands had been bombed enough.
Who/what is Micronesia? That big graph looks as though they all have equal votes.

Hamas did start this by slaughtering a music festival. They committed a terrorist act.

The wider context is an Israeli state committed to treating Palestine as a jail for their own ends. It's possible to hold both views that Hamas are terrorists and Israeli actions are wholly wrong.
If you want to fence sit you can have that line.

Back
Top Bottom