Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Worldwide protest/actions concerning events in Gaza/Palestine/Israel

In light of the student protests US politicians are trying to enshrine in law the IHRA definition of anti semitism. Which conflates criticism of Israel with anti semitism.

This is clearly attempt to stop protests in future.

American Civil Liberties Union has put out this statement today opposing this:

More here:

The United States of Israel does not want to be criticised while it is killing kids, but this is not surprising. Any power structure will try to restrict its opponents, regardless of what any legal structure says, like the Holy Constitution and its blessed free speech laws. It will just call the opponents Hitler or terrorists, hatemongers, or whatever.

But I am not convinced the protests will come to much. There seems to be a lot of bourgeois "progressives" in the movement, and I am guessing that they are upset at Israel because it is damaging to their alliance against the "straight white male". Are they upset at the land stealing, or the bad optics? I am guessing the latter.

The United States of Israel does not want to be criticised while it is killing kids, but this is not surprising. Any power structure will try to restrict its opponents, regardless of what any legal structure says, like the Holy Constitution and its blessed free speech laws. It will just call the opponents Hitler or terrorists, hatemongers, or whatever.

But I am not convinced the protests will come to much. There seems to be a lot of bourgeois "progressives" in the movement, and I am guessing that they are upset at Israel because it is damaging to their alliance against the "straight white male". Are they upset at the land stealing, or the bad optics? I am guessing the latter.

WTF is this?

👀

I've just followed up something ska invita said on another unrelated thread. To me, war, invasions, genocide and all their forms are crimes, but hey, Israel using phosphorus 😡
They used it repeatedly in 2008?9 operation cast lead too.... Guess what international law didn't do fuck all then either

Parklife!

Lots of I I I there. It's not about you.

Sometimes, amidst all the despair, little victories matter

It's a shame more universities aren't coming out with statements like this:

We fully understand the driving force behind the encampment on our campus and we are in solidarity with the students in our horror at what is happening in Gaza. We abhor and condemn all violence and war, including the atrocities of October 7th, the taking of hostages and the continuing ferocious and disproportionate onslaught in Gaza. The humanitarian crisis in Gaza and the dehumanisation of its people is obscene. We support the International Court of Justice’s position that ‘Israel must take all measures within its power to prevent and punish the direct and public incitement to commit genocide in relation to members of the Palestinian group in the Gaza Strip.’

A real and lasting solution that respects the human rights of everyone needs to be found.

What a fucking embarrassment this man is:

It wouldn't matter if he was but an embarrassment but he's a positive shit who'll cause untold damage to millions of people's lives if he becomes foreign secretary. Rimming republicans now will be supporting their foreign policy quite possibly in a few months time

Later in the studio....:

Brilliant. These students have been outstanding. Just watched Owen Jones coverage of this.

Worth remembering it was Braverman was pushing line when in government that protestors/ marchers were Hate protestors / marchers when she was in government.

As Owen said the student reframed the question. This did not start on October 7th. The anniversary of the Nakba was few days ago.

This , correctly the student said, started in 48 with the Nakba. And this has been an ongoing process.

All the demos I've been on have been peaceful.

Another thing to remember it was politician like Braverman who gave license to the far right to come to London to "defend" it from the Hate marchers.

There have been now months of peaceful protest by students and ordinary people. Note the "usual suspects" have not been whipping this these protests up.

I notice at the student demos and the marches whilst the "usual suspects" are there predominantly its not people aligned with any faction.

Braverman on her walk around tried to ask the students if they were at the Uni. ( Ie not outside "agitators") Then asked them what was there message to Hamas.

Baiting them

The students did the right thing in not saying anything.

TBH I don't think I could have done it.

It was exactly the right thing to do.

So I think its about time the allegations of hatred / anti semitism of those who support Palestinian rights should stop now. Its tiresome and keeps getting made despite evidence to the contrary.

Later in the studio....:

After watching Novara media coverage not sure so now about her.

Fiona Lali is national campaigns organiser for the Revolutionary Communist Party. Who I get mixed up with the Revolutionary Communist Group who I see around my way. One of the more colourful groups.

And she did say she wasn't at the camp that Braverman went to. So could be case her of one of those tiny sects jumping to get media coverage to get the revolutionary message across. Rather than being chosen to represent the students at the camp.

Still she did speak well. And Braverman was rather put on the back foot.

And when asked by GB presenter if she thought Capitalism should be smashed she immediately answers Yes of course. Nice one. The presenter didn't have anything to say to that.

Must say all these protests have meant that people whose views don't get a say are suddenly on mainstream news.

Back
Top Bottom