Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Massive worldwide IT outage, hitting banks, airlines, supermarkets, broadcasters, etc. [19th July 2024]

You're just repeatedly picking on one phrase that someone said though, and pretending everyone else on the thread agrees with it.

Nobody else has said that. In just that one post of yours we could equally pick on your phrase moderately widespread disruption to "certain services". So hospitals are merely "certain services" are they - like McDonalds or hairdressers are "certain services". People have had problems getting medications, operations have been been cancelled. And several million computer systems down throughout the world is more than "moderately widespread".

teuchter is mad because he doesn't qualify for an Uber Eats voucher

and btw, there was widespread chaos

you overplayed your troll hand; thousands of people's lives have not been the same since the outage
say a prayer of gratitude you aren't one of them...

You're just repeatedly picking on one phrase that someone said though, and pretending everyone else on the thread agrees with it.

Nobody else has said that.

Ok, so everyone except for the OP is in agreement with me that calling it "absolute chaos across the world" is hyperbole.

Then what's the problem?

Ok, so everyone except for the OP is in agreement with me that calling it "absolute chaos across the world" is hyperbole.

Then what's the problem?
Well you are really.

If you'd just said you didn't agree with that statement it would have been fine but you've been consistently underplaying what happened, for example:

Two hospitals in Germany have cancelled non-urgent operations.

It's utter global chaos.

I just checked the trains at my local station and one of them has a four minute delay.
which is nonsense

But everyone except for the OP is in agreement with me that calling it "absolute chaos across the world" is hyperbole - right?

But everyone except for the OP is in agreement with me that calling it "absolute chaos across the world" is hyperbole - right?
A friend of mine was tasked with trying to fix over 100 computers that went down. I asked him to describe the situation. "Absolute chaos!" he said.
Another friend was on a flying visit to Amsterdam, and got stuck there. Can you guess how he described the situation?

A friend of mine was tasked with trying to fix over 100 computers that went down. I asked him to describe the situation. "Absolute chaos!" he said.
Another friend was on a flying visit to Amsterdam, and got stuck there. Can you guess how he described the situation?
Did you happen to text, I dunno, the head of the illuminati or god or anyone like that, to get a more global overview?

Did you happen to text, I dunno, the head of the illuminati or god or anyone like that, to get a more global overview?

CrowdStrike CEO ‘deeply sorry’ for global chaos caused by update​

You're welcome.

You're welcome.
I don't consider an over-excited American live-blogger for the Guardian quite on that level, I'm afraid. They are more in the category of our illustrious OP (but presumably manage to get paid for their efforts).

I don't consider an over-excited American live-blogger for the Guardian quite on that level, I'm afraid. They are more in the category of our illustrious OP (but presumably manage to get paid for their efforts).
But you said this...

Which is patently untrue. Hyperbole, if you like.

Just popping in to say thank you to stdP and others for the techxplanations. I am not this kind of nerd but I love being nerd adjacent with folk who use the terminology humanely and correctly. It helps me a lot to be a fly on your wall.

Thank you kindly, and you're very welcome - that's pretty much the nicest thing anyone could say about my ramblings, I just hope I managed to do it justice in retrospect. Like many professions, there's a lot of jargon-ridden/obscured snobbery in IT but most of the core concepts aren't hard to understand.

I came here to post the exact same article; I was wowing over it when I read it at lunchtime - one of the most brilliantly simple and elegant and timely hacks I've seen in recent times. I'm a fairly experienced techie, but until today I didn't know that a hand-held USB barcode scanner basically presents itself as a simple HID - or "a keyboard" to most folk (never having used one, I assumed it was much more complicated... but thinking about it, it's only as complicated as it needs to be). The article details an IT guy who did know that simple fact; he turned those aforementioned troublesome admin and recovery passwords in to barcodes on his laptop, plugged a barcode scanner in to the laptop that needed recovery, and pointed it at the barcodes generated from the recovery passwords on his screen to "type" in the commands, so you can "type" in half the data you need with nowt more than a cheap barcode scanner.

In the words of Syndrome, I'm still geekin' out about it. I feel stupid not having thought of this (especially since I already have my laptop lock screen generate QR codes that decode to random phrases from my "stupid shit I'd like to say to nosey parkers looking at my lock screen but am too scared to say in real life" file). I was in the exact same position myself a few months back (when it turns out the other half had typed in their LUKS password incorrectly when it was set and I was forced to type in my ludicrously convoluted "master" password in order to open the drive) and I could well have done with this a solution like this then. But like most brilliant ideas it relied on applying some perhaps obscure experiential knowledge from one area with knowing hot to apply it to something largely unrelated and... well, that's about it really. Hats off to the guy, and I'll happily admit to being jealous as I don't think I could have come up with anything as clever if I'd been in his situation.

I imagine a lot of people like me are also adding a barcode scanner in to their toy budgets as a result of this. If it wasn't so honestly presented I'd have sworn this was a brilliant marketing campaign for some barcode scanner company.

I came here to post the exact same article; I was wowing over it when I read it at lunchtime - one of the most brilliantly simple and elegant and timely hacks I've seen in recent times. I'm a fairly experienced techie, but until today I didn't know that a hand-held USB barcode scanner basically presents itself as a simple HID - or "a keyboard" to most folk (never having used one, I assumed it was much more complicated... but thinking about it, it's only as complicated as it needs to be). The article details an IT guy who did know that simple fact; he turned those aforementioned troublesome admin and recovery passwords in to barcodes on his laptop, plugged a barcode scanner in to the laptop that needed recovery, and pointed it at the barcodes generated from the recovery passwords on his screen to "type" in the commands, so you can "type" in half the data you need with nowt more than a cheap barcode scanner.
It funny I did know this as I reconfigured and used this feature to do an inventory of new kit at my school in the summer after I left, but I still wouldn't of thought of this and had sort of forgotten about it. I suspect that article is also soon enough to help some people who have yet to finish their remediation.

Thank you kindly, and you're very welcome - that's pretty much the nicest thing anyone could say about my ramblings, I just hope I managed to do it justice in retrospect. Like many professions, there's a lot of jargon-ridden/obscured snobbery in IT but most of the core concepts aren't hard to understand.

You don't have to be right. I appreciate your working/thinking out loud and reflective practices.

Checked in at Heathrow T2 half an hour ago and the SAS desk I used still has a Bitlocker BSOD showing on it.

Didn’t stop the assistant completing checkin though, it was just the self service screen out of use.

"Shareholders" (in this case an organisation which provides retirement benefits to about 11000 people in Plymouth Massachusetts) has sued Crowdstrike, presumably for lying about their approvals and testing processes.

Be interesting to see if that succeeds and then how many more join in.

The price has dropped by about 40% since the incident.

Back
Top Bottom