Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Israel and hezbollah after the exploding pagers

Interesting , if slightly speculative, article in the Guardian about the emigration of secular Israelis who feel they no longer have a future in the country.

"He thinks Israel’s economy will be hampered by the growing number of ultra-orthodox young people not qualified for professional jobs because they do not study maths or science, or speak English. Socially, he fears the rise of religious conservatives will make life hard for secular Jews. “If you ask me what we are headed for, you can look at the Iranian model, where religion plays a major role in daily life."

By the State of Israel. Hezbollah would be very demoralised indeed in they thought that they had been spied on in this way since 2015. It would make the State of Israel seem even more formidable.

Oh, I see. I believe it. There's quite a lot of detail out there as to how and when it was done, and the fact that Israeli intelligence has deeply infiltrated Hamas and Hezbollah is uncontentious.

I don't think Israel particularly needs to propagandise to demoralise Hezbollah, having just practically obliterated their former membership.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I believe it. There's quite a lot of detail out there as to how and when it was done.

I don't think Israel particularly needs to propagandise to demoralise Hezbollah, having just practically obliterated their former membership.
I cannot find many reports of the claim that the pagers were sabotaged in 2015. As far as I can establish, Hezbollah was not using pagers in 2015.

Of course, the bugging of communictions equipment isn't the only intelligence method Israel use. In the case of Oct 7, all of their other efforts failed too. Every terror attack that has ever succeeded required some sort of intelligence failure. Either the failure to obtain it, or the failure to act upon it correctly.

Sometimes attacks will get through.
If it's a failure to act on intelligence it's not an if. A failure to collect or a failure to draw the right conclusions, sure. But tbh hamas played a blinder doing all their preparations under the eyes of the idf. It's the sort of planning which many state forces in the world wouldn't be able to bring off. That the Israelis didn't move to stop what they saw happening speaks to complacency and group think among decisionmakers more than inadequacies in collection.

I cannot find many reports of the claim that the pagers were sabotaged in 2015. As far as I can establish, Hezbollah was not using pagers in 2015.

Walkie talkies since 2015; pagers since 2022/23.

The detail on the pager set-up is quite remarkable. They actually managed to get them to buy the pagers (which were a known make) from Israel, using the original manufacturer's network and people, without them knowing.

If it's a failure to act on intelligence it's not an if. A failure to collect or a failure to draw the right conclusions, sure. But tbh hamas played a blinder doing all their preparations under the eyes of the idf. It's the sort of planning which many state forces in the world wouldn't be able to bring off.

There's no doubt that the Hamas action was extremely well planned militarily. They've also managed to achieve the short term aim of drawing Iran even deeper into the conflict. Given the price that has come at, and will continue to be paid, one might question the wisdom of that.

Last edited:
Walkie talkies since 2015; pagers since 2022/23.

The detail on the pager set-up is quite remarkable. They actually managed to get them to buy the pagers (which were a known make) from Israel, using the original manufacturer's network and people, without them knowing.
From where are you getting this widely reported information?

Where are you getting this from?

If it's a failure to act on intelligence it's not an if. A failure to collect or a failure to draw the right conclusions, sure. But tbh hamas played a blinder doing all their preparations under the eyes of the idf. It's the sort of planning which many state forces in the world wouldn't be able to bring off. That the Israelis didn't move to stop what they saw happening speaks to complacency and group think among decisionmakers more than inadequacies in collection.
Must be up there with Pearl Harbour as one the top intelligence failures of all time ( which is worthy of a list in itself)

There's no doubt that the Hamas action was extremely well planned militarily. They've also managed to achieve the short term aim of drawing Iran even deeper into the conflict. Given the price that has come at, and will continue to be paid, one might question the wisdom of that.
one might question the wisdom of that. but if their strategic aim is ending the existence of the zionist state it seems that they're doing really well. israel is becoming a pariah state, its ability to keep its citizens safe is at the least open to question, and many of the people who are behind israel's high tech economy are leaving or considering whether to leave. the americans' world standing has been harmed by this too. sure, the price has been severe and many estimates of palestinian deaths place them in the hundreds of thousands. it's gone beyond the point where any reasonable settlement can be made - the zionists will have to kill all the palestinians if they want peace, or offer a peace deal which is probably now too little too late to prevent years of conflict ahead.

Israel used to have a pretty thriving tourist industry especially with tourists from Russia and the former Soviet Union (it was like going to spend weeks on the beach in Turkey with tbh, similar ethical issues involved) especially since Israel didn't apply sanctions to Russia. I am pretty sure that's gone now
Russia has advised its citizens to leave Israel for safety reasons. I saw a before/after photo of an Israeli beach resort early this morning and googling came across this article about the impact of the war on Israel's tourist industry.

one might question the wisdom of that. but if their strategic aim is ending the existence of the zionist state it seems that they're doing really well. israel is becoming a pariah state, its ability to keep its citizens safe is at the least open to question, and many of the people who are behind israel's high tech economy are leaving or considering whether to leave. the americans' world standing has been harmed by this too. sure, the price has been severe and many estimates of palestinian deaths place them in the hundreds of thousands. it's gone beyond the point where any reasonable settlement can be made - the zionists will have to kill all the palestinians if they want peace, or offer a peace deal which is probably now too little too late to prevent years of conflict ahead.

Don't disagree with much of that but Israel has only become a pariah state with those who already hated them. As you note, the stated aim to end Israel's existence, by means of deliberately goading them into killing civilians, engenders short term fury but long term empathy among many. Israel isn't going anywhere, so aims to destroy them are futile. Trump will likely win soon and Israel will have the strongest backing from the US that they've ever had. Even if he doesn't win, US support is arguably at an all time high. Nobody else matters really. You'll get the usual handwringing and platitudes from other nations, but at the end of the day it'll all be back to "normal" with the lines exactly the same as they are now and Israel largely back in favour with those they supposedly alienated. All that will be different is that several hundred thousand Palestinians will be dead. Cheers Hamas.

I think it’s possible to get a peace deal that largely prevents conflict in the medium term, though not with the current Israeli government / political class (really not without making an example out of them if I’m being honest).

I think it’s possible to get a peace deal that largely prevents conflict in the medium term, though not with the current Israeli government / political class (really not without making an example out of them if I’m being honest).

I don't. Any such deal would be very temporary. There will always be people who will attack Israel regardless of any deals done, and Israel will always be able to kill insane numbers of Palestinians in retaliation, as well as protect their borders from any game changing incursions.

Russia has advised its citizens to leave Israel for safety reasons. I saw a before/after photo of an Israeli beach resort early this morning and googling came across this article about the impact of the war on Israel's tourist industry.

I don't know what will happen then, as many of them will probably not return to Russia and it may actually be dangerous to go back.

If I remember right, there were over 1 million Russian citizens living there at one point and many more on temporary visas, thousands more from Ukraine and other former USSR countries as well. Not all (or iirc even most) of whom were Jewish. Following the Ukraine invasion a lot of people moved there from Russia due to an increase in antisemitism in Russian politics, to escape mobilisation or both. I know a few people who moved out there from Russia. When I was in Russia i had a lot of friends in the Jewish community, but there was an organisation called Torah Mitzion which offered education classes and encouraged people to move to Israel, basically telling people that Jews were commanded by G-d to actually move there. In the UK even most orthodox Jews don't believe that the Torah actively tells you to move there but I even met some reform Jews who believed this when I was there. If someone became religious or converted via Orthodox Judaism some people actively expected you to do this.

There was a controversy some years ago in Israel, because many of those from Russia and the FSU had 'New Year' trees (aka Christmas trees) in their houses during the festive period and some people got offended as this was a Christian invention, it was seen as an example of the Russians not being 'real' Jews and not wanting to integrate into a Jewish state. There was also a claim that the Christian New Year (the most important holiday in Russia and most of the former USSR) celebrated a massacre of Jews as well.

When I was there I was shocked at how little awareness there was of the Israeli Palestinian conflict in general, many non Jewish people went to Israel regularly on holiday or had relatives working there as well. It's not just Russia either- it was the same in many former Soviet countries (until very recently anyway)

Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention at my uni we had to share rooms in the hall of residence and their policy was to put people in rooms with someone of the same nationality, they put an Israeli guy in the same room as a Palestinian guy because nobody else was either Israeli or Palestinian lol. It actually worked out OK for them but could also have gone very badly. I didn't hear much or any antisemitism when I was there tbh, but I heard a lot of casual islamophobic stuff.

I don't. Any such deal would be very temporary. There will always be people who will attack Israel regardless of any deals done, and Israel will always be able to kill insane numbers of Palestinians in retaliation, as well as protect their borders from any game changing incursions.

There are, but the numbers of those people would (as they were in NI) be reduced if a genuine deal emerged that actually dealt with many of the key issues at hand.

I mean if these people weren’t having their land and homes pinched, their relatives abducted / beaten / killed with impunity, had decent economic and social conditions and weren’t being systematically humiliated by a system designed to humiliate them there would be a lot less violence.

There are, but the numbers of those people would (as they were in NI) be reduced if a genuine deal emerged that actually dealt with many of the key issues at hand.

I mean if these people weren’t having their land and homes pinched, their relatives abducted / beaten / killed with impunity, had decent economic and social conditions and weren’t being systematically humiliated by a system design to humiliate them there would be a lot less violence.

Yes. I think the best that can be achieved is less violence, rather than no violence.

Don't disagree with much of that but Israel has only become a pariah state with those who already hated them. As you note, the stated aim to end Israel's existence, by means of deliberately goading them into killing civilians, engenders short term fury but long term empathy among many. Israel isn't going anywhere, so aims to destroy them are futile. Trump will likely win soon and Israel will have the strongest backing from the US that they've ever had. Even if he doesn't win, US support is arguably at an all time high. Nobody else matters really. You'll get the usual handwringing and platitudes from other nations, but at the end of the day it'll all be back to "normal" with the lines exactly the same as they are now and Israel largely back in favour with those they supposedly alienated. All that will be different is that several hundred thousand Palestinians will be dead. Cheers Hamas.
Yeh right but returning unwillingly to the real world people who have invested more time in examining the situation disagree with you eg How Netanyahu stole defeat from the jaws of victory

Back
Top Bottom