Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mpox - news and discussion

got mine today.
they're doing injections intradermal now instead of subcutaneous. which is apparently gives equivalent effectiveness from just ⅕ the dose. with the aim to make limited supplies go further. that's nifty.

I'd sooner intramuscular than intradermal tbf.

But whatever makes it go further makes sense.

Last edited:
New York Times is reporting it's not going to be an 'emergency' after January

doesn't seem to be much on the UK radar.

which could be taken as it's all under control now, although no entirely sure i trust much of the media to care much about something that they see as 'only' affecting gay / bi men...
Gladly, unless I've missed it, there doesn't appear to have been any deaths.

was having a look at the schedule for Darklands - annual gay fetish festival held in Antwerp - which was due to unfortunate timing at the start of this a bit of a superspreader event.
the French authorities provided initial vaccines to Belgium who lacked their own stockpiles. so at the next event in 2023 anyone with a French ID can claim a free box of thank you chocolates.

fair enough. a bit odd but why not. everyone loves a freebie.

global emergency is officially over, with somewhat less fanfare than the similar announcement on covid the other week.
cases down 90% this quarter to the previous.

Does this mean we can start fucking monkeys again?
did the government ever tell you to stop?

global emergency is officially over,

WHO now putting it back to global emergency level again

WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has determined that the upsurge of mpox in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and a growing number of countries in Africa constitutes a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) under the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR).

Dr Tedros’s declaration came on the advice of an IHR Emergency Committee of independent experts who met earlier in the day to review data presented by experts from WHO and affected countries. The Committee informed the Director-General that it considers the upsurge of mpox to be a PHEIC, with potential to spread further across countries in Africa and possibly outside the continent.

The Director-General will share the report of the Committee’s meeting and, based on the advice of the Committee, issue temporary recommendations to countries.

In declaring the PHEIC, Dr Tedros said, "The emergence of a new clade of mpox, its rapid spread in eastern DRC, and the reporting of cases in several neighbouring countries are very worrying. On top of outbreaks of other mpox clades in DRC and other countries in Africa, it’s clear that a coordinated international response is needed to stop these outbreaks and save lives.”

Last edited:

first case of this new variant reported outside Africa.
in Stockholm. although they say the patient had acquired it on a trip to Africa and not believed to be a risk of this spreading to the wider population there.

New strain.

Fuck all monkeypox in the UK, now 2 separate strains. How curious.

When have we heard this line before?

I mean I went to a monkeypox job at work about 18 months go I think, it’s definitely been hanging around in the UK a bit

To be frank, am finding the banter on this thread pretty wearisome. This has the potential to be absolutely terrifying.

Let's say it arrives here in the next few weeks. Let's say it again first hits predominantly gay men. Then spreads into the wider community, because it's not solely sexually transmitted, and starts killing kids - even at 50% of the rate seen in Africa.

In the current febrile atmosphere the far right will jump on that and fuck knows where that could lead. And Starmer's response damn well won't be to defend the gay community or sexual freedom.

There's every chance that won't happen - perhaps the amount of people vaccinated in the first wave will mitigate against such a scenario. But it's really worrying me right now.

Here's the thread reader for Chloe Orkin's post pseudonarcissus quoted above
This is important (my bold):
US and EU have offered to provide around 250 000 doses to D.R.C. from their stockpiles however millions of doses are needed in DRC and neighbouring regions to curb the spread.
There is no plan from the company to sell the vaccine at discounted prices in Africa and no plan for it to be produced in Africa . The hope is that donor organisations will donate it.
This is not good enough
To stop this outbreak we need free testing in affected countries, the ability to sequence the virus to tell which clade is causing the infection, and enough vaccine to be deployed in immunisation campaigns delivered for and with affected communities where it’s needed.

the PHEIC will allow better coordination, improved surveillance and has already allowed emergency licensing of the vaccine in affected countries. It is hoped this will allow GAVI and @UNICEF to deploy it

NHS vaccination info doesn't seem to have been updated since the last round yet.

so, as far as I can work out they're not yet offering boosters for those who got their jabs 2 years ago. but I'm going to keep an eye on if that changes. due a check up soon anyway so will ask the nurse then if they've any news.

but if anyone didn't get their first jabs before, and meets the at-risk criteria, and is in London or Manchester - that's still available.

Back
Top Bottom