Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

I don't think we're going back to the status quo with Gaza after this.

I think the Palestinians will have the upper hand tbh, albeit at great cost. That's why Hamas has done this during a cease fire while pretending to negotiate. Israel will have to burn all its international agreements and deals in order to occupy Gaza and I think that the US won't stand for that due to the risks of wider conflict.

Let's not forget there must be dozens of Israelis captive in Gaza too. Not just one or two.

I'm surprised to see U75 posters referring to Netanyahu as "Bibi", which is his affectionate, childhood, family nickname.

Seems similar to calling Farrage "Nigey".

Hamas must be thinking it can win this, there's no other reason why they would have done it. . .
I think Hamas know they can't win this but just want to get in as many blows against Israel as they can before they get crushed. The people of Gaza have absolutely nothing to lose and may very well be taking the view that die fighting is better than die starving.
And things will go back to the status quo because there is no way forward that both sides can accept.

Psychologically it seems worse, less human, more 'terrorist', to an observer to read about or witness a child being dragged from a car and shot in front of their parents. The act of violence is close-up, personal. The violence of dropping a bomb, or firing a rocket seems more distant, the perpetrator does not see the victim up close or come face to face with the reality.
For the victim there may be no difference in terms of the trauma and violence. Indeed it may be worse, as the scale of destruction and suffering from bombs and rockets can be far greater.
Yet that's how many or most people see the difference between the acts of Hamas and the acts of the Israeli army. One is terrorist, one defence or retaliation.
The power imbalance between the two sides gets overlooked in our emotional response, as does any attempt at historical analysis.

Don't know where I'm going with this now - just some thoughts.

Hamas must be thinking it can win this, there's no other reason why they would have done it. . .

Ismail Haniyeh said this "Al Aqsa typhoon" will spread to the West Bank. Seems delusional even still to think they would come out on top. I think Hamas got used if this was to torpedo the Saudi-Israel peace deal.

I'm not going to speculate on the outcome of this, but I do think that Israeli intelligence, military, iron dome etc. are overrated. Too easy to buy into the Isareli propaganda on this.

Thailand says 11 Thai nationals are being held hostage in Gaza - - there are thousand of Thai agricultural workers in Israel.

Not sure Thailand can negotiate their release separately and their safety can't really be guaranteed even if a ransom is paid.

They'll probably be among the lowest priorities for any IDF invasion force sent to try and rescue hostages

The IDF are well aware the Palestinians have good knowledge of IED’s and may have been equipped with anti tank weapons. Their tactic of razing an area to the ground in Gaza will be politically hard because of the Israeli’s being held there. So if that tactic is not employed then a ground incursion outcome becomes less certain.

Is this primary an attempt by the Hamas leadership to lever themselves into the 'leadership of the Palestinian Nation role' with a secondary intent of trying to slow down the (inevitable?) recognition of Israel by Saudi Arabia?

As with all political elites throughout history Hamas will send their young men (and it will be mostly men) to fight and die whilst they keep themselves and their sons far (in this case 100s or miles in air conditioned comfort third countries, Qatar mostly) away from the immediate risk.

The soldiers sent out from Gaza will be young and poor, some will be heroes, a few psychopaths who will take pleasure in the killings, but most just young men with no future who will bravely go and do what they they see to be their duty for their country and will lose their lives.

Similar to the Israeli men and women who will also do their duty to protect their neighbours in war of occupation prolonged and stoked by the bastard offshoot of western right wing popularism that is the Netanyahu government.

The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that Netanyahu and Haniyeh are both cunts with too much blood on their hands

Is this primary an attempt by the Hamas leadership to lever themselves into the 'leadership of the Palestinian Nation role' with a secondary intent of trying to slow down the (inevitable?) recognition of Israel by Saudi Arabia?

As with all political elites throughout history Hamas will send their young men (and it will be mostly men) to fight and die whilst they keep themselves and their sons far (in this case 100s or miles in air conditioned comfort third countries, Qatar mostly) away from the immediate risk.

The soldiers sent out from Gazza will be young and poor, some will be heroes, a few psychopaths who will take pleasure in the killings, but most just young men with no future who will bravely go and do what they they see to be their duty for their country and will lose their lives.

Similar to the Israeli men and women who will also do their duty to protect their neighbours in war of occupation prolonged and stoked by the bastard offshoot of western right wing popularism by Netanyahu.

The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that Netanyahu and Haniyeh are both cunts with too much blood on their hands
Gazza is in the uk

This business of " urging Ghaza civilians to leave" clearly preparing public opinion in the wider world for some atrocity at scale

Back
Top Bottom