Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

further to above:

i) this was a 15-2 decision (the US chair voted yes, one of the two no was Israel's, the other Uganda)
ii) this was a 15-2 decision
iii) this was a 16-1 decision (everyone but the Ugandan judge)
iv) this was 16-1 (as above)
v) this was 15-2 (Israel and Uganda the no)
vi) this was 15-2 (as above)

this can only be described as a kicking

Note that the court majority’s ruling is basically the same as Keir Starmers. Israeli must obey by international law but can continue its military operations.

They could read that decision that way, but they'd have even less success than they did trying to stop these provisional measures. The expectation of the court is clearly that things must be vastly better when one month is up.

Note that the court majority’s ruling is basically the same as Keir Starmer’s. Israeli must obey by international law but can continue its military operations.
They rejected the idea that they didn't have jurisdiction and they made a judgement that explicitly mentions genocide as a clear and imminent danger. That's very different from anything Starmer has said.

Realistically this is probably the best we could have hoped for, and the fact that it was the Israeli judge plus one strange rogue from Uganda and nobody else dissenting is a big win.

They rejected the idea that they didn't have jurisdiction and they made a judgement that explicitly mentions genocide as a clear and imminent danger. That's very different from anything Starmer has said.

Realistically this is probably the best we could have hoped for, and the fact that it was the Israeli judge plus one strange rogue from Uganda and nobody else dissenting is a big win.

Of course they have jurisdiction that Starmer lacks - Starmer isn’t an international court. Agree it’s the best we could hope for though

Very impressive speech from South African minister of international relations Naledi Pandor. Ends by saying that just as South Africa overcame apartheid, so Palestinians can overcome. I like how she didn't even bother to call on Israel to do anything. Instead she shamed Israel's 'powerful friends'.

South Africa has really stepped up.

Good speech from South African minister on Al Jazeera. Disappointed that there was no call for a ceasefire, but makes the point that to carry out the court's orders, a ceasefire is necessary.

FWIW the implications of not following the order would be considerable in terms of the final decision in the case.

I did think it could be possible for the ICJ to not find Israel guilty of genocide (on the basis that they were committing war crimes short of genocide), but flat out ignoring an order of that kind would make it much more likely the ICJ would rule the same way in the final decision and conceivably much earlier than they might have otherwise.

"The ICJ’s rulings are legally binding and cannot be appealed. However, the court has no way of enforcing them and the enforcement is left to the international community."

...the International Community has just spoken:
1706275835880-png.409698
View attachment 409698

FWIW the implications of not following the order would be considerable in terms of the final decision in the case.
This is where the devil is in the detail, isn't it? The SA minister highlighted the fact that they had to report back in a month. She seemed to think that was very significant.

I get the pessimism of the speaker from the West Bank. The South African representatives have to be upbeat and stress the positives because that's the best way to bring about something positive.

We shall see. This was always about changing the minds of Israel's supporters rather than changing Israel's mind.

That said, I await Keir Starmer coming out to declare that this is what he's been saying all along.

Back
Top Bottom