Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Why?

Within the metaphor, I mean. What is it about moving trains that prevents neutrality?
Certainly, the person on the moving train and the person on the platform will not agree about simultaneity. I don’t know how this stops you being neutral.

Howard Zinn thing, I think.
Thanks. I found this
"Zinn told his students that he did not “pretend to an objectivity that was neither possible nor desirable. ‘You can’t be neutral on a moving train,’ I would tell them. . . . Events are already moving in certain deadly directions, and to be neutral means to accept that.”"

Doesn't work though. There are definitely cases and respects where being neutral on a moving train is more than plausible. Zinn's example is very specific, but I think for example, that if I invited him on a magical mystery tour by train, he would understand the need to be neutral about what the destination is, and to keep any doubts to himself.

Reactions: PTK
Cutting off the electricity probably doesn't degrade hamas fighting capability very much. They'll have thousands of generators.

But cutting off the water... That's gonna be a massive humanitarian tragedy and very very quickly.

If someone just killed your mum and raped your sister; then ran into a house to which you controlled the electricity and water ... what would you do?

I think cutting off the water will damage public support for Israel even within Israel itself - - if it doesn't force Hamas to surrender. If hamas surrender and give up the hostages after a few days then you can say cutting the water off was a successful tactic. But if it does not achieve that aim, and hamas continue fighting, then it's not a great look really.

If someone just killed your mum and raped your sister; then ran into a house to which you controlled the electricity and water ... what would you do?
Presumably, we have to imagine this is somehow a deadly situation, for the analogy to work.

Anyway, it depends who else is in the house, surely?

(eta: I can see both these points have been made above. Ok so now they've been made twice.)

They’re in a literal open air prison. Where are they meant to go? The terrorist part of Gaza? Stop being a twat.

How about not making things worse by raping and abducting children to deliberately make things worse as a political strategy?

Stop being a twat.

Those figures are on a satellite view overall area basis. Israel is largely a flat desert,
That's not really true, it's 'largely' mediterranean scrub, with a lot of hills and mountains. A lot of the far south is flat desert, but the north isn't at all flat, or even desert.
Cyprus is largely hills.
That's not really true, it has hills of course, also mountains in the south and along the north coast, but there's a wide flat bit in the middle.
When you talk about physical land available the two regions are broadly similar.
They genuinely aren't and I don't know why you're insisting on this point (it is less awful than death tolls I suppose.)

Lack of Sanity or Experience, is usually pretty apt for most people who insist on broadcasting where they’ve studied.

Guess it depends on relevance, I don’t know which particular exchange you’re talking about.

Did I mention that I’m an ordained Celtic shaman?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom