Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Sorry to state the obvious. It's just, seeing Biden and Sunak and Starmer and all the rest support this and facilitate this, and their MPs with their carefully curated, hollow replies to constituents about how much they care, because being a career politician matters more to these people than thousands of children's lives... it's sickening.

What's happening is I think genocidal.

We must not let them forget what they've enabled.

Exasperated and angered by the cowardly alliances who arm Israel and are complicit in the genocide of Palestinians.

Who will come to Palestine's aid?

It's hard to see how surveillance flights are supposed to find hostages in tunnels. Which leaves the question of what role they will be playing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this bloke was not killed in Kenya but Gaza.

What gets me, fairly stating the obvious here, is how the residents of northern Gaza were forced into fleeing south, and now Khan Younis is going to have the fuck bombed out of it.

And yet most of the 'international community' seems to be saying to Israel (as if it were a child) 'You've been a bit naughty, please don't do that again'.

I'm sure a lot of us have seen the likes of 'Once Upon a Time in Iraq' and stuff around Srebrenica (I'd recommend the podcast Untold Killing) - the same thing is unfolding before us and will be viewed with horror in times to come. A lot of us rightly protest and to some extent the plight of the Palestinians, both historic and current, is increasingly being heard, but the horror continues.

Yesterday I saw a clip of a little Palestinian boy stroking his father's coffin. I felt just so much sadness and anger, but mine is nothing compared to those living through it.

What gets me, fairly stating the obvious here, is how the residents of northern Gaza were forced into fleeing south, and now Khan Younis is going to have the fuck bombed out of it.

And yet most of the 'international community' seems to be saying to Israel (as if it were a child) 'You've been a bit naughty, please don't do that again'.

I'm sure a lot of us have seen the likes of 'Once Upon a Time in Iraq' and stuff around Srebrenica (I'd recommend the podcast Untold Killing) - the same thing is unfolding before us and will be viewed with horror in times to come. A lot of us rightly protest and to some extent the plight of the Palestinians, both historic and current, is increasingly being heard, but the horror continues.

Yesterday I saw a clip of a little Palestinian boy stroking his father's coffin. I felt just so much sadness and anger, but mine is nothing compared to those living through it.
I feel what you say .... What's worse for me is I think every neighbouring country and every historically aligned Israeli state is fundamentally shrugging its shoulders and saying Oh Well shit happen. Zero consequence.

Sitting at home and watching it unfold so brazenly, so transparently... I don't think I've ever seen anything like it .. Like the Chomsky quote above says its so one sided , enacted in such a methodical fashion against a civilian population.... Every war is an abomination but the circumstances make it a unique horror, a unique massacre of the innocent.

So easily evoidable. Fuck this culture and every last blood stained person who supports it .

A local issue.

In my area London borough of Lambeth one has right to request a petition on the Lambeth Council website.

Petition calling for the Council to agree to call for a ceasefire was not allowed.

My borough is run by the right of the Labour party

The usual double standard over Ukraine and Palestine is evident.

Over the last twelve months the council has taken a number of actions relating to the war in Ukraine.

The apparent disparity in the treatment of different international causes raises concerns about institutional racism and selective advocacy. It also raises concerns as to Lambeth’s potential violation of its Equalities and diversity commitments.

The local Palestine Solidarity Campaign voiced their concerns, “We fear this illustrates deep-seated institutional racism which is not acceptable anywhere, let alone in a Borough as diverse as Lambeth.” Said Robyn Dasey, Chair of the Lambeth and Wandsworth Palestine Solidarity Campaign.

“Does the council not consider Palestinian lives equal to that of Ukrainians? It must answer why it was willing to publicise Ukraine’s cause, but not even host a petition calling for a ceasefire in Palestine. At the very least Lambeth Council is applying double standards.”

So, in effect, the UK is a co-belligerent.
I was listening to the BBC Sounds series on The Mandates yesterday (apols if already mentioned on the thread). As with any history, there are many places to start, but the series gives a reminder of how much of this fucked up situation was created out of European colonialism and racism. Also, in terms of British rule in Palestine, with the added level of venality and panic that created the circumstances for Palestinian expulsion and ethnic cleansing. All well known by contributors on this thread, but it's well worth a listen to hear the chronology of events as all the racism and colonialism lead through to their inevitable conclusion.

Edit: Haven't read this yet but it looks interesting. It's about the growth of Palestinian landlessness under the British Mandate (and the role of Labour/MacDonald):

Last edited:
It's hard to see how surveillance flights are supposed to find hostages in tunnels. Which leaves the question of what role they will be playing.

Because it's not actually just a plane with someone leaning out of the window with some binoculars. They suck up all sorts of intelligence sources that could be used to help form a picture of where hostages are being held.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom