Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

If they really are in a position to cut off all water all food and all power mediaeval siege style maybe a ground incursion can wait .

Gaza has a single power plant that relies on diesel imported from Israel (for which Israel bills the PA) that generates about 25% of Gaza's needs most of the rest bar a small amount from Egypt is supplied by Israel directly. A couple of years Hamas accidentally knocked out some of the power lines into Gaza when some of its rockets went astray and Israel refused to fix them.
I would imagine there are such things as private generators and solar panels for a few places but chances are the IAF will regard anywhere with a light as a possible Hamas installation and bomb it so maybe that's why they've cut the power.

Gaza has a single power plant that relies on diesel imported from Israel (for which Israel bills the PA) that generates about 25% of Gaza's needs most of the rest bar a small amount from Egypt is supplied by Israel directly. A couple of years Hamas accidentally knocked out some of the power lines into Gaza when some of its rockets went astray and Israel refused to fix them.
I would imagine there are such things as private generators and solar panels for a few places but chances are the IAF will regard anywhere with a light as a possible Hamas installation and bomb it so maybe that's why they've cut the power.
They've cut the power in part to fuck whatever medical facilities remain in gaza, as blood etc will no longer be chilled while the operating theatres will all be dark quite quickly, not to mention the medical electronics

A pro-Brexit tangent would probably help with the smooth progress of this enlightening and informative thread at this point.
As much as I haven't been looking at the news in recent months and thinking we could really do with some more hell handcart..did they really have to pull this during the Labour conference

Last edited:

Those figures are on a satellite view overall area basis. Israel is largely a flat desert, Cyprus is largely hills. When you talk about physical land available the two regions are broadly similar.

That said, I will duck out of this whole debate as people on U75 haven't embraced my idea in general.

PS I wouldn't be surprised if it happens though (with Greta Thunberg or Suella Braverman getting the credit rather than me ffs).

So precautionary measure really, that might bring peace earlier

Chuck in Malta too, everyone likes a Malteser. Though aren't they a bit Arab?
The Maltese language is a Semitic language which looks and sounds close to Moroccan Arabic. Written down it looks like romanised Arabic.

As much as I haven't been looking at the news in recent months and thinking we could really do with some more hell handcraft...did they really have to pull this during the Labour conference
Kier Starmer to come into his own as a leader who can condemn a mass killing without some whataboutery, his one strong point. Let's not mention all the other ones he can ignore, of course.

Israel is essentially a constructed nation placed up another one. I'm not suggesting moving its people to Africa; Uganda as Joseph Chamberlain wanted or Madagascar as the Nazis initially planned.

Cyprus is a lovely f***ing island with a similar climate and orange groves etc as Israel. It's also in Europe, where (UEFA footballing and Eurovision entering) Israel would be geographically happier.

Cyprus also has (albeit less intense these days) issues of its own and both Israel (non-occupied areas) and Cyprus are of broadly similar size.

You could fix both issues by rehoming every Cypriot in a fancy seafront new build in (their choice) Turkey or Greece PLUS new build, move and rehome all Israelis for… does back of vape not fag packet maths …maybe £100bn.

Not cheap but how f***ing much is this never ending ME situation costing everyone. My solution will fix things permanently. You're welcome.
Oh. You were serious.

I don’t think my Cypriot relatives are going to move from the places they’ve been living for a few thousand years. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe you could try a violent displacement? That’ll sort it.

If visitors to South Africa’s Sun City during apartheid years were attacked I would not have given two fucks. Going for a party two miles from the perimeter fence of Gaza in an occupied country suggests a willingness to completely ignore the reality of life for the Palestinians whilst doing balloons and dancing to trance.
It’s ugly what happened but Israel is a nation under arms.
For someone so concerned about the Nazis in Ukraine, you seem very laid back about the massacre of hundreds of Jewish civilians by extremist death squads.

From a perspective of total ignorance, can't the world community pay for the population of Cyprus (similar size and weather etc as Israel) to move to Turkey or Greece - building fancy homes for them etc - then rebrand Cyprus as Israel and move everyone from Israel there, then give Palestine back to the locals. Surely this will cost the West a lot less than the ongoing cost of funding a functionally bankrupt Israel militarily and economically, let alone the effects of the many global terrorist movements that use the occupation of Palestine as a key recruitment tool. People move house all the time ffs! I'm happy to have solved this issue. You're welcome x
Jerusalem is the problem you could possible move the GAzans to Cyprus but the Jews aren't giving up Jerusalem

I mean, we haven't had much levity in this thread, so the idea of switching countries around to make the Middle East make sense is actually quite sweet, never mind amusing. Imagine what it'd do for Eurovision.

No. The poster is a steaming fuckwit.

Hundreds raped, murdered, and taken hostage, and thousands more about to be killed, maimed and buried alive.

"Let's have a laugh!"

Floyd99 is a stupid fucking cunt.

Ireland and Luxembourg questioned a statement by an EU commissioner announcing the suspension of almost €700m EU payments to the Palestinians in the wake of the Hamas attacks on Israel, heaping embarrassment on commission officials who had indicated any decisions on funding would be taken at an emergency meeting of EU foreign affairs ministers on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the department of foreign affairs in Dublin said:

We have seen the tweet issued this afternoon by commissioner Várhelyi … our understanding is that there is no legal basis for a unilateral decision of this kind by an individual commissioner and we do not expect a suspension of aid.
Madrid and Brussels also expressed reservations, with Belgium announcing development and humanitarian aid would continue. It said:

It is important we do not act hastily.
As hours elapsed with no explanation, another commissioner was forced to reassure critics that civilians in Gaza were not being abandoned in the face of a “total blockade” of energy and food by Israel.

The commissioner for crisis management, Janez Lenarčič, tweeted:

EU humanitarian aid to Palestinians in need will continue as long as needed.

Ireland and Luxembourg questioned a statement by an EU commissioner announcing the suspension of almost €700m EU payments to the Palestinians in the wake of the Hamas attacks on Israel, heaping embarrassment on commission officials who had indicated any decisions on funding would be taken at an emergency meeting of EU foreign affairs ministers on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the department of foreign affairs in Dublin said:

Madrid and Brussels also expressed reservations, with Belgium announcing development and humanitarian aid would continue. It said:

As hours elapsed with no explanation, another commissioner was forced to reassure critics that civilians in Gaza were not being abandoned in the face of a “total blockade” of energy and food by Israel.

The commissioner for crisis management, Janez Lenarčič, tweeted:
I’m increasingly pleased to not be in the fucking EU.

Back
Top Bottom