Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

There was an example posted upthread about a piece of graffiti in Hackney which read "Free Palestine" being reported as antisemitic, and given some of the statements from eg Suella Braverman, I don't think it's that outlandish to suggest that some reported antisemitic acts aren't what most of us would consider genuine, even if they are just waving Palestinian flags.

Again, we should be able to condemn real acts of anti-semitism like those posted by Kid_Eternity while recognising that not everything which is reported as such is genuine.
Lol

Does anyone know whether Hamas is sheltering ordinary Palestinians down in these tunnels.?

I'm asking because I noted figures for Palestinians dying..showed 62% are women and children.

Why...if Hamas has kms of tunnels underground...why are they not sheltering women and children there?
50% of the population are children and, I assume, around 50% of the population are female. So 62% means they are under-represented amongst the dead.

gsv and I were discussing the way some people can't see/have chosen not to see that people saying 'You can understand why the Hamas attacks happened' is not the same thing as saying 'The Hamas attacks were excusable'. The fact that Hamas could find people full of enough fury and hate didn't come out of nowhere. It came from poverty, desperation, hopelessness, grief and misery that is caused by Israel's policy towards the Palestinians. It didn't have to be caused by Israel's existence but it was the path the government chose to follow.

The UK famously unaffected by events in America, Russia and France of course :facepalm:
First they're downplaying AS when it's pointed out it's surging across the world they try to claim none of this is connected. I'm not going to engage with them further, they're clearly showing a problem with Jewish people.

This surprised me. Her arguments are so convoluted that I've no idea what she's suggesting, if anything. Just that Starmer's not wrong, it appears.

it's Toynbee. She will excuse any old Labour leadership bollocks in a terrible way. It's what she's paid for.

This surprised me. Her arguments are so convoluted that I've no idea what she's suggesting, if anything. Just that Starmer's not wrong, it appears.

I'd like a journalist to ask what the difference between a humanitarian pause and a temporary ceasefire is? And if they are different how does humanitarian aid get delivered at the scale needed during an active conflict of this type. I did 8 years in the humanitarian sector, in 2014 it was only when a ceasefire was agreed that aid could surge.

If UK Labour Party calls for a ceasefire then the only effect would be to jeopardise future diplomatic relations with Israel. Sure. But then this is a good thing.

It's horribly confused.

demanding a ceasefire without precise conditions asks Israel to abandon its hostages, taken amid atrocity.

She thinks flattening Gaza has been about getting the hostages back? Has she not listened to a word Netanyahu has said?

I don't recall it but if it was written on say, a synagogue, then fair cop.

I think the CST figures should be questioned btw. But I think they are motivated to maintain their credibility. Suella Braverman doesn't give a shit of course.

It wasn't written on a synagogue.

Here's a link to the original post from 17th Oct

'Hackney Council is facing a backlash from pro-Palestinian campaigners after describing the words ‘Free Palestine’ as “antisemitic”.

---

Hackney Council did not respond when asked to explain why it considers the words ‘Free Palestine’ to be antisemitic."

Does anyone know whether Hamas is sheltering ordinary Palestinians down in these tunnels.?

I'm asking because I noted figures for Palestinians dying..showed 62% are women and children.

Why...if Hamas has kms of tunnels underground...why are they not sheltering women and children there?
I would amazed if they are, non-combatants in the the tunnels are only going to get in the way of the fighters. It's not like Hamas care whether they live or die. There really are no good guys in this fight.

It wasn't written on a synagogue.

Here's a link to the original post from 17th Oct

Yeah there's a lot of bullshit about. But I think it's looking very transparent now a few weeks later. The Palestinian cause has come crashing back into focus.

Yeah there's a lot of bullshit about. But I think it's looking very transparent now a few weeks later. The Palestinian cause has come crashing back into focus.
The councillors involved are probably clueless more than anything. They rushed to reassure the Orthodox community in Stamford Hill? Most of them would agree with 'Free Palestine'.

This is what the Israeli soldiers think is fine to record and share. I’ve spoken with Israeli commandos why they do this, the answer was 1. that Palestinians are not real people and 2. Shoah. Totally missing the point.

It’s worth a look at the entire thread, this is perverse, encourage and celebrated by the media and politicians. This is what fascists do.

I would amazed if they are, non-combatants in the the tunnels are only going to get in the way of the fighters. It's not like Hamas care whether they live or die. There really are no good guys in this fifight.

This is what I feared.

Back
Top Bottom