Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

The Only Democracy In the Middle East

Another short video of the racists above.

hmmm

Clashes have broken out between Jewish residents of Netanya and Arab Israeli students living in dorms at a local college.

The Jewish residents allege that the Arab students disrupted a prayer service at a Chabad synagogue earlier in the day, hurling eggs at worshipers and playing music loudly.

Several hundred Jewish protesters have gathered outside the Netanya Academic College’s dorms, many of them chanting, “Death to Arabs.”
Netanya Mayor Miriam Feirberg issues a statement saying she asked the school’s administrators to clear the dorms and find those responsible for allegedly harassing Jewish worshipers earlier in the day.

I dont have a problem with platinumsage posting here. Ive followed this thread from beginning ( most of it) and skate over some of the arguments with Platinum. No sweat. They are representing a certain view on the conflict. Its similar to the guy I work with. Not one I agree with but there you go thats life.

What does annoy me is the periodic post complaining that other posters are put off this thread.

No one here is stopping any "pushback". Nor do I see pushback been lacking on this thread. Been plenty of it.

Ive had it at least twice. Not complaining.

Yeah, you're probably right... should be more on those of us overly prone to engaging to use the ignore button/not get drawn in.

Decent pushback. What would that have looked like in your view? Really.

I dunno, spy was probably a bad example - Saturday night and all that, couldn't think of many posters who've expressed a view, then decided to avoid the thread. But there are views between the general consensus on this thread and outright atrocity apologism. I don't think you get much value out of arguing with someone who thinks that 3 litres/day of water is fine really.

Plus both sides have it in the scriptures.

I’ve just been told by a Muslim friend that God himself will take part.

And I know backing the wrong side leads to fascism.

Anyway…

“Israel carried out air strikes early on Sunday near the Gaza Strip's largest hospital, currently filled with patients and sheltering tens of thousands of people.

Eyewitnesses told AP that the strikes had destroyed most of the roads leading to Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.

“Reaching the hospital has become increasingly difficult,” Mahmoud al-Sawah, who is sheltering in the hospital, told the news agency.

“It seems they want to cut off the area.”

IMG_6244.jpeg

Sunday Times:

Gaza before and after: how a tenth of the strip was turned to rubble - (archived)

Includes this:

aGWS98p.png

Anyway…

“Israel carried out air strikes early on Sunday near the Gaza Strip's largest hospital, currently filled with patients and sheltering tens of thousands of people.

Eyewitnesses told AP that the strikes had destroyed most of the roads leading to Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.

“Reaching the hospital has become increasingly difficult,” Mahmoud al-Sawah, who is sheltering in the hospital, told the news agency.

“It seems they want to cut off the area.”

View attachment 397555

They must have detected Palestinian Islamic Jihad setting up dodgy-looking rockets again then.

some scandanivain countries appear to have abstained while also voting against the motion to condemn the Hamas attack.
i don't think so.
iceland, denmark, sweden, norway & finland all supported canadas amendment to jordans resolution & when that failed to reach 2/3 majority, all but norway abstained. norway supported the resolution anyway (like spain, ireland & more). i think all european countries supported the amendment (88 votes in favour, 55 against, 23 abstained & 27 didn't vote at all).

i don't think so.
iceland, denmark, sweden, norway & finland all supported canadas amendment to jordans resolution & when that failed to reach 2/3 majority, all but norway abstained. norway supported the resolution anyway (like spain, ireland & more). i think all european countries supported the amendment (88 votes in favour, 55 against, 23 abstained & 27 didn't vote at all).

This is getting confusing. A ceasefire and a humanitarian pause are different things and have had separate UN debates. The UN resolution on a humanitarian pause had Turkey voting against it. This while they are incredibly critical of Israeli actions. You can only assume this was because a humanitarian pause achieves very little from their point of view.

Guardian said:
“Civilians in northern Gaza and Gaza City should temporarily move south of Wadi Gaza to a safer area where they can receive water, food and medicine. Tomorrow, the humanitarian efforts to Gaza, led by Egypt and the United States, will be expanding,” (IDF rep) Hagari said.

Carrot of aid availability, but only in the south, is added to the stick of stay and be bombed, aimed to give civilians no option but to move. Got a horrible feeling this "beyond the Wadi" line is going to end up more than temporary.

Classic whataboutery from Jake Wallis Simons, the recently installed editor of the Jewish Chronicle, who conveniently ignores the fact that Palestinians are also secular and Christian.

"Why didn't thousands of people take to the streets to condemn our government being silent on a genocide on these other occasions when the government were not silent on genocides" is perhaps not the argument Jake thinks it is.

Got a horrible feeling this "beyond the Wadi" line is going to end up more than temporary.
Yeah, absolutely. At this point the "best case scenario" for northern Gaza (barring military defeat for the IDF) would be that it becomes something like Area C of the West Bank, with civilians allowed to return but under direct Israeli military administration. It's a fucking nightmare.

The bombing of civilians naturally gets most attention - but has anyone seen anything even vaguely reliable concerning the balance of military power between Hamas and the IDF at the moment?

Classic whataboutery from Jake Wallis Simons, the recently installed editor of the Jewish Chronicle, who conveniently ignores the fact that Palestinians are also secular and Christian.

I clearly recall a very large proportion of the people I know who went on the matches also went on protests against the invasion of Iraq as well as air strikes on Syria and Libya. However Wallis Simons generally isn't reporting on anything that happens on Planet Earth.

Well also what would the public have been protesting against with Assad's barrel bombs? As I remember it the UK government was not shy about criticising Assad or indeed encouraging the perpetrators of the various massacres to keep going with declarations of solidarity. This is looking at protest solely as an expression of view, rather than as a form of attempted pressure on the leaders of your own country. Some people do that, but it misunderstands the aim most have in hauling themselves down to make noise outside their own Parliament.

Well also what would the public have been protesting against with Assad's barrel bombs? As I remember it the UK government was not shy about criticising Assad or indeed encouraging the perpetrators of the various massacres to keep going with declarations of solidarity. This is looking at protest solely as an expression of view, rather than as a form of attempted pressure on the leaders of your own country. And some people do still do that, but it misunderstands the aim most people have in hauling themselves down to make noise outside their own Parliament.
Also, did the complainant himself organise protests against the actions of the Assad regime? If he did not, then he has no leg to stand on

Well also what would the public have been protesting against with Assad's barrel bombs? As I remember it the UK government was not shy about criticising Assad or indeed encouraging the perpetrators of the various massacres to keep going with declarations of solidarity. This is looking at protest solely as an expression of view, rather than as a form of attempted pressure on the leaders of your own country. Some people do that, but it misunderstands the aim most have in hauling themselves down to make noise outside their own Parliament.

Assad wasn't using British-made munitions either as far as I'm aware.

Back
Top Bottom