Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

I can't find where I saw it I'm afraid. But Israel does not control the border crossing to Egypt.

I imagine Palestinian refugees will have an easier time crossing the Egyptian border than the Israeli one.
OK. I thought and a Google appears to confirm that the Egyptian border is closed to goods. As for people if would appear that they can stay in Sinai for fourteen days and that's that. I don't think we can assume that Palestinians will be able to find safety in Egypt.

OK. I thought and a Google appears to confirm that the Egyptian border is closed to goods. As for people if would appear they can stay in Sinai for fourteen days and that's that. I don't think we can assume that Palestinians will be able to find safety in Egypt.
Indeed we can't assume, but seems more likely than crossing into Israel.

Something would have to give between Egypt's desire not to take responsibility for them and their desire to see some of them not die, I imagine.
Egypt, like so many of the other Arab states, having been so supportive of the Palestinian people (as opposed to the Palestinian 'Cause') over the years after all.

Rafah border crossing is closed to all. The US have enough influence to keep it closed. It’s not like a while back when Egypt was sympathetic and allowed loads of smuggling tunnels barely concealed by tents. The US put a stop to that.

Gaza hospitals are now failing due to power being cut.

Who knows how many additional lives this will cost when the inevitable land invasion begins.

What a mess.

I have a feeling this is going to end with another refugee crisis. Perhaps people in Gaza will be forced to flee to Egypt.
The border with Egypt is sealed in the same way that the border with Israel is sealed. If your young and fit and willing to face the consequences, you might be able to paraglide over it too, but that's not an option for most people.

. For example, there are plenty of people posting on this thread whose opinions on the subject are thoroughly sensible and reasoned. Yours, I believe, are wholly worthless.
Others would seem to disagree.

The problem with your approach is that it utterly fails to understand the power relations embedded into the nature of colonialism, and why this inevitably begets violence. If there’s going to be a way forward, it can only come once this institutional violence has been acknowledged so that the side it has been perpetrated on can start to heal. If you ignore this, if you just say “bad people doing bad things”, you fail to address the inherent driver of the violence and you will just guarantee that the cycle is perpetrated. You become culpable yourself, as part of the system that is reproducing itself.

I think the worst problem ATM is that Israel doesn't know what it's going to do or why.

Cutting off the water is not rational.
why is it not rational? i don't see what's so irrational about it - for example, the thinking might be to exert pressure on the gazan population to encourage them to put pressure on hamas. it might be to force hamas to sue for peace. it might be to reduce palestinian ability to resist a ground assault or to fight fires caused by air strikes - the absence of water as a weapon of war.

Fwiw I agree with Spymaster that excusing Hamas' actions because of Israeli actions or whatabouting is morally incoherent. It's also infantalising. Hamas have pulled off a tremendous victory against all the odds and must have planned this for months and given every consideration to the consequences. Don't dismiss this as madness or vengeful spontaneity and don't give undeserving credit to Iran.

I don't know how this is going to end but if it hadn't happened the situation in Gaza was hopeless and the invisible (to us) brutality of the siege would have continued indefinitely.

If this post sounds nihilistic, imagine the nihilism of living in Gaza 2023.

I do suggest reading some Sara Roy before you morally pontificate.

The impulse to try to explain actions on the basis of some clear calculus will drive much analysis, almost all of it based on the analyst’s prior assumptions about key actors. For my part, I tend to see Hamas’ decisionmaking as reacting most to a Palestinian arena where there is pressure to engage in resistance and where the national leadership is bankrupt. There was also a longstanding understanding within Hamas that its truncated and blockaded republic of Gaza was not a tolerable outcome. This has led some leaders within the movement to drag the rest of Hamas into uncharted waters.

If you ignore this, if you just say “bad people doing bad things”, you fail to address the inherent driver of the violence and you will just guarantee that the cycle is perpetrated. You become culpable yourself, as part of the system that is reproducing itself.
Not sure that anything anyone on Urban75 has to say would change or perpetuate much in the Middle East tbh.

Fwiw I agree with Spymaster that excusing Hamas' actions because of Israeli actions or whatabouting is morally incoherent. It's also infantalising.
I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to point me to an example of this happening on this thread. I’ve not seen it once.

The problem with your approach is that it utterly fails to understand the power relations embedded into the nature of colonialism, and why this inevitably begets violence. If there’s going to be a way forward, it can only come once this institutional violence has been acknowledged so that the side it has been perpetrated on can start to heal. If you ignore this, if you just say “bad people doing bad things”, you fail to address the inherent driver of the violence and you will just guarantee that the cycle is perpetrated. You become culpable yourself, as part of the system that is reproducing itself.

This is a sub-teenage level explanation of power-relations but it's not incorrect. However, it's utter bilge in the context of this thread because not a single poster has sought to deny or even downplay Israel's culpability in other acts of violence/colonialism.

Fwiw I agree with Spymaster that excusing Hamas' actions because of Israeli actions or whatabouting is morally incoherent. It's also infantalising. Hamas have pulled off a tremendous victory against all the odds and must have planned this for months and given every consideration to the consequences. Don't dismiss this as madness or vengeful spontaneity and don't give undeserving credit to Iran.
it's obvious it's been planned for months. and it is equally obvious that this would never have happened if the zionists hadn't acted as they have not only over the past few years but over decades. you're right to point out the unparalleled degree of planning and operational security that it's taken for them to achieve such surprise, but the thing about palestinian victories is so many of them have been pyrrhic.

This is a sub-teenage level explanation of power-relations but it's not incorrect. However, it's utter bilge in the context of this thread because not a single poster has sought to deny or even downplay Israel's culpability in other acts of violence.
Sub-teenage :D. I mean, it’s literally a précis of a sociological paper I read on the issue last year, that had just been published. I’m not aware that the authors were teenagers, but maybe you know better. Certainly, the one who came to the LSE to talk about it looked quite old, but maybe his experiences had merely aged him.

You may remember that none of this started because people were calling for acknowledgment that “Israel Bad”. It happened because you threw your toys out of the pram when you saw others seeking to understand the priors that led to the situation, rather than just loudly performing anger.

why is it not rational? i don't see what's so irrational about it - for example, the thinking might be to exert pressure on the gazan population to encourage them to put pressure on hamas. it might be to force hamas to sue for peace. it might be to reduce palestinian ability to resist a ground assault or to fight fires caused by air strikes - the absence of water as a weapon of war.
In this case, I think it is a lever pulled in panic. It won't weaken the Palestinian defence very much, because fighters will be prioritised when it comes to coping with limited resources.

Sub-teenage :D. I mean, it’s literally a précis of a sociological paper I read on the issue last year, that had just been published. I’m not aware that the authors were teenagers, but maybe you know better. Certainly, the one who came to the LSE to talk about it looked quite old, but maybe his experiences had merely aged him.

In that case it's likely just a juvenile précis of a paper that you've failed to do justice, despite having discussed it at the LSE, no less. Very impressive!

You may remember that none of this started because people were calling for acknowledgment that “Israel Bad”. It happened because you threw your toys out of the pram when you saw others seeking to understand the priors that led to the situation, rather than just loudly performing anger.

No toys have been thrown, professor. I've simply addressed a rather revolting element on these boards that seeks to "understand" the murder of a couple of hundred kids, and the rape of women and girls, through another prism.

In that case it's likely just a juvenile précis of a paper that you've failed to do justice, despite having discussed it at the LSE, no less. Very impressive!

No toys have been thrown, professor. I've simply addressed a rather revolting element on these boards that seeks to "understand" the murder of a couple of hundred kids, and the rape of women and girls, through another prism.
How do you feel knowing a very big body of people around the world are supportive of Hamas?

Back
Top Bottom