Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Can someone tell me how Al Jazeera reporters are still able to broadcast with no internet etc
Quite likely they'll have their own generator and satellite feed. Plus if there's any signal access at all it'll be in the interests of whatever passes for the Gaza leadership right now to prioritise keeping them up and running.

Edit: The Al Jazeera reporter in Khan Younis was saying just now that he's able to send a satellite signal but has no idea if his broadcast is making it to the news team and can't receive any messages back. He's just filing on the off chance.

Last edited:
There are no broadcasters (the ones I've seen are in Jerusalem) just pictures. And that's quite the bombardment going on.

Al Jazeera has just had a reporter from Gaza on, but only by phone, no pictures, that's why I suspect he has a satellite phone.

I
I think because it's so wildly improbable that Netanyahu would even contemplate it... Forget whether it's been mentioned in the thread, or might have been Harari mentioned it in the podcast you posted way back, but remember it coming up somewhere. It would also require a colossal aid effort (I mean not that the current situation doesn't, but it's a lot easier for those in power to ignore when they can deny responsibility). And issues of trust etc.

I think it's easy to look at this small spot on a map and say 'well, why can't they just...'. We're talking about safe accommodation for the population of Birmingham (the city itself + a bit of metro). Also a deeply traumatised population... It justifies an effort on that level (though whether that specific plan would be appropriate seems.. debatable). But it's not going to happen.
The politics are harder than the aid effort needed here. Aid agencies are very good at getting a camp up and running at scale but yeah none going to happen….

I'm doing the foreign pages layout today, I'm generally pretty hard to shake with war pics as I've been doing this a long time but the picture wire for Gaza is some of the worst I've seen. There's one kid in hospital. Actually crying a bit. Fuck.
So soon it will be the equivalent of being able to take someone into a private room and pummel the shit out of them where no-one else can see.

View attachment 397288
Yes this comms blackout likely essential part of IDF gameplan

UN resolution calling for a ceasefire and resumption of aid has been approved, for what little that's worth. Being reported alongside long-range footage of bombs slamming into Gaza City.
The latest:

Israel has rejected calls for a "humanitarian pause" in hostilities, in a rare disagreement with several of its western allies.

"Israel is opposed to a humanitarian pause or ceasefire at this time," Lior Haiat, Israel's foreign ministry spokesperson, said on Friday.

A temporary stop to bombardment has been touted by several of Israel's backers, including the US, Canada, the UK and the EU.

"I welcome the growing global consensus for a humanitarian pause in the conflict," UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a statement.

But far from a pause, Israel's military said on Friday evening that it was "expanding" its aerial and ground activity in Gaza.

UN resolution calling for a ceasefire and resumption of aid has been approved, for what little that's worth. Being reported alongside long-range footage of bombs slamming into Gaza City.

even we abstained:

F9eI7BYWAAAy7nT

It's quite simple for me now. Any politician not at the very least calling for an immediate ceasefire can fuck the fuck off.

Thinking on it Id agree.

My MP view is for humanitarian corridors so people can leave.

I was listening to the head of Rec Cross in Gaza last night. He was asked about Israel government telling people to leave. he was clear on this - to tell people to leave is not in accordance with human rights agreements.

So what my MP and Starmer are saying is wrong.

Another sensible, measured response:

Gilad Erdan, Ambassador of Israel to the UN, said in response to the resolution passing that “today is a day that will go down in infamy”.

“We have all witnessed that the UN holds not even one ounce of legitimacy,” he said. “The UN is committed to ensuring further atrocity. According to the family of nations, Israel has no right to defend itself.”

There are no talks or discussions to be held with Hamas, he said, adding that Israel will not sit idly by to let them commit atrocities again. The resolution does not mention Hamas once, as if the war started on its own.

“What is going on here?” he asked, questioning whether the goal was to tie Israel’s hands. “The only way to destroy Hamas is to root them out. Why are you not holding Hamas accountable?”

“We know there is no humanitarian crisis in accordance with international humanitarian law,” he said, noting that every statistic comes from Hamas about information about Gaza.

Anyone interested in preventing violence should call on Hamas to lay down their arms, turn themselves in and return all hostages, he said.

“If this were to happen, the war would end immediately,” he said. “This is a dark day for the UN and mankind. Israel will defend itself and will do what must be done to eradicate Hamas’ capabilities and bring the hostages home.”

Back
Top Bottom