Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

The issue isn't pile ons, things cluttering up the thread, though I conceded there's probably a law of diminishing returns with regard to getting you to actually address what is happening to the Palestinians right now. The issue is how you manage to obfuscate and faff on when the bombs are falling and people's lives are being blown apart. I get it, yes, your sympathies are with Israel and the true horrors of what happened on the 7th. But isn't there just a bit of you, even at a simple human level, that can recognise this horror? And from that, admit that Israel's currently policy is profoundly wrong?

Of course the current war is horrible and grim, and although i’m an optimist about most things I don’t see any good outcomes. It would be great if the conflict stopped today but I just can’t see that happening. I’m not going to exclusively criticise Israel when both Hamas and Egypt also have it within their gift to bring huge relief to the people of Gaza. The surrender of Hamas would obviously bring greater short and long term benefits to Gazans than a cessation of hostilities from Israel that sees Gaza remaining under the control of a Hamas which will continue to attack Israel.

You are yet to criticise Israel in any meaningful way.

Very happy to criticise lots of actions of the Israeli state with respect to Palestinians prior to 7th Oct. For the actions in the past couple of weeks i’m withholding judgement. Sorry about that.

I'd go even simpler – can he recognise that Palestinians' lives have as much value as Israeli ones?
Indeed. There's a wee bit of me that wants to cut PS a bit of slack, someone with Israeli sympathies, discussing something that begins with the 7th October (though I obviously wouldn't frame it so 'tightly' shall we say). It was horrific and so you don't feel minded to acknowledge pain on the other side. However even within the tight frame of events from the 7th onwards, even if you somehow neglect the history of occupation and ethnic cleansing, the rate of killing by Israel is several times higher, will get much worse and is being inflicted on a population already denuded of the basics. There comes a point where it shouldn't be that difficult to apply some basic moral judgements, wherever your politics or sympathies lie.

He's outright doing Hamas: Judgment, Knesset: No Judgment – so it seems it is that difficult if you're platinumsage. 🤷‍♂️

Anyhoo I've wasted enough time on him already today so I'll bow out to do some work I think. Later all

He's outright doing Hamas: Judgment, Knesset: No Judgment – so it seems it is that difficult if you're platinumsage. 🤷‍♂️

Anyhoo I've wasted enough time on him already today so I'll bow out to do some work I think. Later all
Yes, there's a moment of sunshine outside - literal, not metaphoric unfortunately - I might explore that.

Very happy to criticise lots of actions of the Israeli state with respect to Palestinians prior to 7th Oct. For the actions in the past couple of weeks i’m withholding judgement. Sorry about that.
I can’t even begin to understand the mindset of somebody who can look at this:

They're nearly half way towards reducing Gaza to rubble.

INTERACTIVE_INFRASTRUCTURE_DAMAGE_GAZA_OCT25_2023-1698220858.png

INTERACTIVE_HEALTHCARE_DAMAGE_GAZA_OCT25_2023-1698220852.png

Numbers from the UN.

By the time they're done, 10s of thousands of people will be dead. There will then be 2 million people left with nowhere to live in Gaza and nowhere else to go.
And say “I’m reserving judgment on whether the Israelis have done anything wrong.” It’s just inhuman.

I found this useful. Ezra Klein is a liberal-leftist writing for the NYT and discusses the prospects of peace in the region with two other journalists. Quite a bit of background about Hamas; what they were trying achieve with the massacre; how previous peace talks broke down etc. Very critical of the right-wing turn Israel made in recent years and hope this is their endpoint.

Highlights a couple of green shoots, including the Standing Together, who were mentioned up thread.

Good article on Al Jazeera about the anger towards the West for its failure to condemn Israel. This is a diplomatic disaster whose effects will ripple out for decades to come.

Tunisian activist Henda Chennaoui and many of her fellow activists see the Israel-Gaza war as a continuation of the Western legacy of colonisation, and she predicts that anti-Western attitudes will spread. “We’re angry. They kept telling us that the fight for freedom and democracy and all kinds of rights is a common fight,” Chennaoui said. “Now, we see that Arab and Muslim communities and kids don’t matter. It’s time to say that the time of colonisation is over. We need to recognise it and talk about it.”

20231018_110404-1697668058.jpg

Outrage at US, Israel’s European allies grows since Gaza hospital blast

This isn't Islamists talking. These are secularists and pro-democracy activists who oppose autocracy and Islamism in their own countries. They've been fucked over.

Of course the current war is horrible and grim, and although i’m an optimist about most things I don’t see any good outcomes. It would be great if the conflict stopped today but I just can’t see that happening. I’m not going to exclusively criticise Israel when both Hamas and Egypt also have it within their gift to bring huge relief to the people of Gaza. The surrender of Hamas would obviously bring greater short and long term benefits to Gazans than a cessation of hostilities from Israel that sees Gaza remaining under the control of a Hamas which will continue to attack Israel.

You asked a while back what alternatives posters have considering they ( and I'm one them ) object to bombing of Gaza.

I've just read this by an Israeli Jew. In short it saying the military and increasing militarism of Israeli society ( armed settlers in West Bank) hasn't brought peace and security to the people of Israel.

What she argues for is demilitarising the conflict. I see posted up massive air transport loads of weapons coming from US.

To remove the power of the men with the guns Israel should call a ceasefire, negotiate prisoner/ hostage swap.

Then start the process of stopping settlers on West Bank.

I need to give it a re read but de escalating the use of military and addressing the needs of Palestinian civilians both now as a humanitarian crisis and long term to deal with the roots of the violence. Particularly in West Bank is the only way forward that will undercut the cycle of violence.

I'm not having a go at you here. This subject is to serious for that

I think the argument she makes for a different framing of the conflict and how to resolve it. Without weapons/ reliance on military as security makes sense

Btw the Israeli army is conscription for Jewish Israelis. Christian/ Druze / Palestinian Israeli aren't obliged to join. But can enlist voluntarily.
For Druze, it's men only but it's still compulsory. Sounds like a bonus, not being conscripted, but advancement in Israeli society is intimately connected to the military if you want a decent job, housing, etc.

You asked a while back what alternatives posters have considering they ( and I'm one them ) object to bombing of Gaza.

I've just read this by an Israeli Jew. In short it saying the military and increasing militarism of Israeli society ( armed settlers in West Bank) hasn't brought peace and security to the people of Israel.

What she argues for is demilitarising the conflict. I see posted up massive air transport loads of weapons coming from US.

To remove the power of the men with the guns Israel should call a ceasefire, negotiate prisoner/ hostage swap.

Then start the process of stopping settlers on West Bank.

I need to give it a re read but de escalating the use of military and addressing the needs of Palestinian civilians both now as a humanitarian crisis and long term to deal with the roots of the violence. Particularly in West Bank is the only way forward that will undercut the cycle of violence.

I'm not having a go at you here. This subject is to serious for that

I think the argument she makes for a different framing of the conflict and how to resolve it. Without weapons/ reliance on military as security makes sense

I can see how someone can argue this approach is something they ought to have got done and dusted by 6th October, maybe if they had, the attacks wouldn't have happened. I can also see the argument that this is something they will have to ultimately do when the current conflict has worked its course.

However I can't see how it can be realistically achieved at the current time. The author would need to do a great deal of convincing of fellow Israelis to make this a possibility in the current climate. I think a widespread appetite for such an approach could only arise after Hamas has been eliminated or the conflict taken some other drastic course. :(

Back
Top Bottom