Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Which other countries have 'settlers' ( not had )

In the 21st century - I'd say no. If anyone advocated such an idea now they would rightly be told it's racist. If it's settler colonialism. That is if the definition of settler is someone/ group who come to another area and displace the existing population. Or keep them on as second class citizens and push them off their land.

Migrants are people who move from one country to another but not in this way. Ie my area Brixton had influx of people from Carribbean. Who arguably are British anyway due to be in Common wealth/ empire.

It's ( as I posted previously) common in past history.

There's been a lot of whispers in recent days about the IDF and its fitness to fight - the whispers say that the IDF's fitness in that department may be very questionable.

I've now seen a thing claiming that ordinary troops are having to crowdsource helmets. . . which seems strange, to say the least. Where has all the American money gone?

There's been a lot of whispers in recent days about the IDF and its fitness to fight - the whispers say that the IDF's fitness in that department may be very questionable.

I've now seen a thing claiming that ordinary troops are having to crowdsource helmets. . . which seems strange, to say the least. Where has all the American money gone?

Deprive people of the tools of war and they might actually have to listen, talk & negotiate.

Here are more of the quotes from Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who has told a group of MPs from his Justice and Development party (AKP) that Hamas is not a terrorist organisation, Israel’s actions in Gaza are “savage”, and that he has cancelled a planned trip to Israel.

AP report Erdoğan said he had canceled plans to visit Israel as part of his country’s policy of normalizing its relations with the Jewish state, adding that Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu had “misused our goodwill.”

Erdoğan also described Israel’s action in Gaza as one of the “bloodiest, most disgusting and most savage attack in history.”

“We have no problem with the Israeli state, but we never have, and never will, accept the atrocities committed by Israel and the fact that it acts as an organization rather than a state,” he said.

The Times of Israel quotes him saying Israel “can view Hamas as a terrorist organization along with the west. The west owes you a lot. But Turkey does not owe you anything. Hamas is not a terrorist organization, it is a group of mujahideen defending their lands.”

It looks like a fundraising campaign by a charity called "My Soldier" which is established in the US and has a sister organisation in Israel. I cant dig any deeper but maybe someone else can, in the meantime I wouldnt take the claim at face value.

This a propaganda tactic that Israel has used for decades. It’s akin to the UK Government asking housewives at the start of WWII to donate their old cooking pots to be melted down for the cause. The pots were just thrown away but the housewives were made to identify that this was their struggle and fight.

Condemn more , understand less

It's an absolutely barking position. By that logic we shouldn't examine the social factors which help fuel crime because it's verging on supporting criminals. Mind you I suppose that really is the effective position of much of the right, No Understand, Only Punish. And then they wonder why things aren't improving, coming to the conclusion that it must just be human nature. Or in this case Palestinian.

It's an absolutely barking position. By that logic we shouldn't examine the social factors which help fuel crime because it's verging on supporting criminals. Mind you I suppose that really is the effective position of much of the right, No Understand, Only Punish. And then they wonder why things aren't improving, coming to the conclusion that it must just be human nature.
There are good people and evil people. It's the Superhero view of the world.

Pray more and buy another gun.

This appeal looks like a scam to me.

It's one of the things that baffles me about the right's seething dislike of Hollywood, which has done so much to calcify this simpleminded perspective in the public sphere. Large swathes of the right haven't a clue the amount of work mass media has put in for them, smuggled all the more effectively for its liberal veneer.

This a propaganda tactic that Israel has used for decades. It’s akin to the UK Government asking housewives at the start of WWII to donate their old cooking pots to be melted down for the cause. The pots were just thrown away but the housewives were made to identify that this was their struggle and fight.
Ah right. Seems obvious when you put it that way.

And not just pots: those splendidly elegant railings in a lot of London squares went too

Back
Top Bottom