Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

This BBC documentary looks of interest. It is about the settlers on the West Bank.

Don't think I've seen this particular Theroux episode. Just sampled 5 minutes and it looks great - already a retort to those who think it's the Muslims who solely harbour the religious nutters. Will watch the rest later.

If the IRA stormed into Liverpool one morning and killed, raped and tortured (checks notes) 7000 people, and the perpetrators fled to the Divis Flats in Belfast and started launching rocket attacks from there to the west coast of Britain then yes, the RAF should have bombed the flats after warning the civilian population to evacuate. Hope this answer helps!
You have still not answered this question:

Would you be happy with the air force dropping a bomb on the block of flats in which you lived, because the air force believed that a leading figure in an enemy group lived there?

On the subject of Israeli preparedness, or lack thereof:

Plenty of quotable quotes in that one, but I'll ask about this:

“In my role as general, I have visited more than 1,400 units and spoken to tens of thousands of commanders and soldiers, three to four times a week, four hours in each unit. I know the army on the ground better than anyone in the Israel Defense Forces,” Brick said years ago. “I have seen soldiers who do not take care of their weapons before leaving the base. No army in the world behaves like this. The soldiers carry their smartphones with them everywhere. Commands are sent via WhatsApp groups. These phones are being tracked by the enemy.”

likesfish kebabking Can that bit in bold possibly be true? An entire army staffed by Private Pike's idiot cousins?

“In my role as general, I have visited more than 1,400 units and spoken to tens of thousands of commanders and soldiers, three to four times a week, four hours in each unit. I know the army on the ground better than anyone in the Israel Defense Forces,” Brick said years ago. “I have seen soldiers who do not take care of their weapons before leaving the base. No army in the world behaves like this. The soldiers carry their smartphones with them everywhere. Commands are sent via WhatsApp groups. These phones are being tracked by the enemy.”

likesfish kebabking Can that bit in bold possibly be true? An entire army staffed by Private Pike's idiot cousins?
yes: eg https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...915662-0441-11e8-aa61-f3391373867e_story.html not to mention that last year the us army felt they had to have this article in one of their magazines Small Arms: What You Should Know About Weapon Cleaning

You have still not answered this question:

Would you be happy with the air force dropping a bomb on the block of flats in which you lived, because the air force believed that a leading figure in an enemy group lived there?

I'm not going to answer all the inane questions I get asked, especially as each answer is followed by numerous posts telling me that the question is inane and implying that I ought not to have answered it.

I'm not going to answer all the inane questions I get asked, especially as each answer is followed by numerous posts telling me that the question is inane and implying that I ought not to have answered it.

Except no one actually did that, every reply was just pointing out how dumb your post was, and why it was dumb.

They're nearly half way towards reducing Gaza to rubble.

INTERACTIVE_INFRASTRUCTURE_DAMAGE_GAZA_OCT25_2023-1698220858.png

INTERACTIVE_HEALTHCARE_DAMAGE_GAZA_OCT25_2023-1698220852.png

Numbers from the UN.

By the time they're done, 10s of thousands of people will be dead. There will then be 2 million people left with nowhere to live in Gaza and nowhere else to go.

Depends?

Israel has long had a problem with soldiers doing their national service in garrison/policing type roles having very poor morale, and soldiers with low morale tend be a bit slack/ill-disciplined. Leadership can play a huge role as well - a poor/disinterested commander can have a toxic/corrosive effect on morale/standards, and if there's a pool of discontent/disinterest already existing, the results can be catastrophic.

From what I see, it was a perfect storm: conscripted soldiers serving on the the Gaza border which was fairly quiet and the job being bossing civvies about, and the wide, and very deep, political unhappiness within the Israeli military, and wider Israeli society, about the way the Netanyahu govt has sought to change some of the fundamentals of Israel as a state.

All feeding into a 'don't want to be here, doing this job' atmosphere.

Ask my via PM if you really need to, I don’t like encouraging other people to clutter up the thread by piling in to my replies.

How dumb the analogy was, although it wasn’t mine.

You are frightened to state on a public forum that you do not believe in principles being applied universally?

You wish a principle to be applied to others that you would not wish to be applied to yourself?

If you lived in one of those blocks of flats, you would oppose it being bombed, but you are happy for it to be bombed if you do not live in it?

platinumsage's response was completely fair.
The question he was being asked was fair - he's been saying it's completely reasonable to bomb people's homes if there might be a Hamas member in them, so was asked whether he'd still think that if it was his home. His response calling it an inane question and refusing to answer was bullshit.

The question he was being asked was fair - he's been saying it's completely reasonable to bomb people's homes if there might be a Hamas member in them, so was asked whether he'd still think that if it was his home. His response calling it an inane question and refusing to answer was bullshit.

I was referring to this answer which received a number of replies criticising the analogy, which wasn’t even mine but PTKs

PTK then badgered me to answer another of their analogy questions and I refused because what’s the point if people criticise me for thinking up the analogy? Happy to receive numerous PMs of hate if people want to interrogate me without cluttering the thread.

Oh do dry up. even if you or others thought the prior analogy was bad the second question was entirely clear and relevant and you know it – your refusal is because it shows up your unpleasant double standards.

That's not what happened.

You are saying that its a bad link? Ok but what does the rest of your first sentence mean?
No idea how

IDF is a coscript army, now the Paras and similar units are still very good but unless conscripts are ridden very hard or know there's an imment threat they get slack you get 22 year old sgts in the IDF who've done three years. In the British army the average is 10 in an infantry unit a corporal has probably done 6.
nobody doesn't clean their rifle it wouldn't even cross somebody's mind not to do so.
Met some Italian conscripts once they were reduced to tears by one of our sgts who shouted at them not even in angry mode. The IDF rested on it's laurels it's still a 1000X better than the Egyptian or Jordanian army's

he's an apologist for war crimes being committed by an apartheid state. Fuck him and his disingenuous bullshit.

The SANDF might recently have committed war crimes in Mozambique which I won’t apologise for but SA ceased being an apartheid state some time ago.

Ask my via PM if you really need to, I don’t like encouraging other people to clutter up the thread by piling in to my replies.

How dumb the analogy was, although it wasn’t mine.
The issue isn't pile ons, things cluttering up the thread, though I conceded there's probably a law of diminishing returns with regard to getting you to actually address what is happening to the Palestinians right now. The issue is how you manage to obfuscate and faff on when the bombs are falling and people's lives are being blown apart. I get it, yes, your sympathies are with Israel and the true horrors of what happened on the 7th. But isn't there just a bit of you, even at a simple human level, that can recognise this horror? And from that, admit that Israel's currently policy is profoundly wrong?

Back
Top Bottom