Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

You are aware that the US is the largest supplier of killing equipment to Israel?

Wouldn't have been able to tell you. I assume they also manufacture their own weaponry. But fuck knows? The arms industry in general is a global disgrace when you think of all the great things talented human beings could be doing and making. And to think the drugs trade is seen as a scourge.

The carrier is to defend against Republican talking points not Hamas.
Pretty much this I suspect, Israel is armed to the teeth and doesn't need support from anyone. It might take part in the odd evacuation of a few US citizens though.

The other countries you mentioned don’t have national service that includes killing and maiming people. The IDF are a bit unique like that.
The Russians and Ukrainians have conscripted troops who kill and maim , as do the Syrians and Saudis. The British did up until the late 50's when it was decided that we needed better trained professional killers. The French abolished conscription in 2021 but may have left the nasty stuff career military and the mercenaries of the Foreign Legion. Britain also has its own cuddly Gurkha mercenaries.

China's foreign ministry reiterating their call for the establishment of an independent Palestinian State. They don't do irony.
How, if at all, is the attack being covered by the Chinese media?

Had a quick peek at 163.com, lots of detailed updates, slightly favouring Israeli narrative but that'll be mainly sources, language neutral. Comments a joke, it's a right liberal crowd and anti anything Islamic by and large, though debate more two sided than usual.

How, if at all, is the attack being covered by the Chinese media?

Dunno but assuming the press isn't that free the government are being all 'deeply concerned' wishing 'the exercise of constraint' blah blah as they try and keep a foot in both camps. They've pissed off the Israelis for not condemning the Hamas attack enough.

The Russians and Ukrainians have conscripted troops who kill and maim , as do the Syrians and Saudis. The British did up until the late 50's when it was decided that we needed better trained professional killers. The French abolished conscription in 2021 but may have left the nasty stuff career military and the mercenaries of the Foreign Legion. Britain also has its own cuddly Gurkha mercenaries.
The countries you mention were not the ones referred to. It was the Swiss and the South Koreans.

Here is Zelensky statement in full:

Yes agree its completely one sided. Shows at least an ignorance about this conflict. Yes agree you would have thought as someone whose country is under partial occupation by larger country that he would at least get it that Israel has treated Palestinians badly. Taking their land.

Does anyone now if he has questioned Israels actions at any point in last years?
Zelensky is a western puppet. What else is he going to say on the matter?

The Independent is reporting that over 700 Israelis have been killed now.
Does anyone know if the increasing death toll is due to more reports of the initial attack yesterday coming in and being added up, or if they are fresh casualties from clashes today? Somehow it seems unlikely it’s the latter.

Does anyone know if the increasing death toll is due to more reports of the initial attack yesterday coming in and being added up, or if they are fresh casualties from clashes today? Somehow it seems unlikely it’s the latter.

Probably previously injured people dying.

Rivkah Brown from Novara has gone off the deep end defending this. I don't see how they can keep her, certainly not in a front facing capacity

A seemingly made up number that is being reported by no reliable news sources, especially given that the total number of announced Israeli deaths is 450. FWIW it doesn't seem to have been a 'peace festival' either.

Not “made up”:

This is all deeply depressing - my heart was in my mouth seeing the numbers killed on both sides, and the number of Israelis kidnapped. And knowing the only party in whose power it really is to avert disaster is the Israeli government, but of course everything about them tells us they will pile up the horror. And that this is why Hamas have attacked, because, fuck it, they have nothing to lose now so might as well go down in flames.

“The majority of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip are descendants of refugees who fled or were expelled from the area that became Israel after the 1948 Arab-Israeli War” (Wikipedia).

“Sderot was founded in 1951. . . on the land of the Palestinian village of Najd, which was depopulated during 1948 Arab-Israeli War and served as part of a chain of settlements designed to block infiltration from Gaza” (Wikpedia).

The descendents of those expelled from what is now the State of Israel wish to have the right to return to the land from which their families were expelled. This is a key point that is usually ignored in the reports in the press and on radio and television.

Zelensky is a western puppet. What else is he going to say on the matter?

Sorry I do not buy that.

Ive already posted my view on this

Post in thread 'October 2023: Gaza strikes against Israel.' October 2023: Gaza strikes against Israel.

I was watching Al Jazeera today and Diana Buttu ( a palestinian) was asked about his statement. She said its nothing new. His view is that Ukraine is Israel and Russia is Hamas.

Unless one thinks he is a complete idiot this is his considered view on the conflict in the light of what he has gone through in Ukraine. His world view if you like.

I do not agree with it.

Anyone seen this garbage from The Guardian. I’m guessing Palestinians are untermensch , are all terrorists and don’t mourn.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom