Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps is moving some of its members toward the Israeli border, sparking concerns a new front could open in the confrontation between Tel Aviv and its regional foes.

The IRGC has been redeploying fighters from the eastern Syrian city of Deir ez-Zor southward to an area close to Damascus, according to a Syrian government adviser and a Deir ez-Zor activist. The activist said some of the redeployed military were missile experts. The Syrian government adviser said Iran’s aim remained largely defensive. “There is a big concern that if there was a war, there is a strong need to protect the regime,” he said. A spokesman for the Iranian delegation at the United Nations didn't return a request for comment.

Fingers crossed it's just sabre rattling.

They've actually been getting dragged on twitter by frothing loons for it. But let's not pretend that posting uncritical stuff is somehow a more practical, pragmatic engagement with the real situation.

I wouldn't drag them for it, but if your statement starts with a first person pronoun, you should leave that for arguing with Paul Mason or something.

Aljazeera is also reporting that they have confirmation that Israel continues with bombing in the south of Gaza, despite the evacuation from the north to there.

Iran are already in Syria?

German state moving to ban Samidoun:

I tend to find these mega-threads impossible to follow, so was wondering if it'd be worth having a separate "Gaza conflict - international reactions" thread for discussing things like UK demos, European state bans and so on?

I tend to find these mega-threads impossible to follow, so was wondering if it'd be worth having a separate "Gaza conflict - international reactions" thread for discussing things like UK demos, European state bans and so on?

Think probably need one for the ground invasion of Gaza (and wider war?) one now or soon as well.

Also some decent analysis here about the Hamas attack. Almost certainly Iran organised is the conclusion.

Iran are already in Syria?

Been there for years.

And undoubtedly the most important of the Assad regime's sponsors - much more important than Russia these days, and they are solidly embedded both in the regime and in Hezbollah's internal and supporting structures. They are properly the power behind the thrones.

And undoubtedly the most important of the Assad regime's sponsors - much more important than Russia these days, and they are solidly embedded both in the regime and in Hezbollah's internal and supporting structures. They are properly the power behind the thrones.
Think we know km hasn't been paying attention, best to gently let him know of the complexities of the last decade of middle Eastern politics. His head will explode when he finds out about daesh

Israel has tactical superiority, but what’s the strategy? Who will govern the rubble afterward? And how will the mass slaughter of Palestinian civilians possibly lead to harmony with Israel afterward?

what a cheery line in the NY Times newsletter.

Sabre rattling or not, it won't change Israel's plans for Gaza.

At least some on the left aren't cheering on Hamas, these aren't perfect but better than meaningless slogans as 'solutions' or 'positions'.

And older Editorial #3: Palestine – Israel - Angry Workers
?? the ACG one had a decent bit of recent history in it, but is still full of slogans and positions, they're just not their headline

The anarkiddy thing is JUST a crap slogan on a really badly designed graphic. Embarrassing.

Do you think Iran was after an escalation with this kebabking? Seems almost inevitable that's what's going to happen?

Possibly like Netanyahu - an escalation on their own terms, and without the downsides of the other guy getting a vote?

There's undoubtedly some line treading - Hamas were undoubtedly on the warpath, and Iran as one of its sponsors, and the biggest sponsor of Hezbollah, has to support them to some degree in order to retain their position (Qatar sniffing about and looking to be a big player...) - on the other hand, they probably don't want to get to the point where the Israelis attack them.

That said, it's disturbing to me that the US thinks that having merely one of its aircraft carriers and associated strike group (containing more airpower than operated by any local power other bar Israel) may not be enough to dissuade anyone else from getting involved, and has decided to send the Eisenhower group to augment the Ford group - conversely, this could be seen as a way of showing that it is the US, not anyone else, who is the defining power in the region, and that if you want something, you go through the US...

Probably both at the same time.

I would not fall off my chair if this escaletes far beyond what was in anyone's cunning plan...

Is that because of where they’re located on the map then?
Two points - in your comment about preventing the Iranians getting too excited, I understood you to mean they'd bomb Iran, much of which is quite a distance from the Mediterranean. Secondly, if they're not going to bomb Iran itself and there are no large formations of Iranian troops to bomb how are they going to prevent Iran getting as you put it too excited?

When Israel starts the ground operation in Gaza Iran is going to look very weak and as if it's deserted Palestinians if it doesn't do something significant isn't it? And then the US is going to look the same if it then doesn't then get involved in some more active way?

Feels like everyone's painting themselves into a corner...

Two points - in your comment about preventing the Iranians getting too excited, I understood you to mean they'd bomb Iran, much of which is quite a distance from the Mediterranean. Secondly, if they're not going to bomb Iran itself and there are no large formations of Iranian troops to bomb how are they going to prevent Iran getting as you put it too excited?
To prevent happening what posters are speculating might now happen that you’re apparently now nodding along to?

Back
Top Bottom