Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

I agree that Omer's writing was really well considered and obviously backed up by a mass of experience, but getting arsey on a poster for making one of the same points albeit in very simplistic terms which you basically admit as the reason for your differing attitudes just shows a marked lack of objectivity and illustrates well the propensity for the small but loud rightous crew in here to play the man and not the ball.

Yeah except when people do it without a really thorough analysis, it's 99% an antisemitic trope.

Also, Omer Bartov is Israeli, and I think that matters. We all get to say things about our home country that might easily be offensive coming from a foreigner.

Not THAT conflict - but Reginald D Hunter has had a media roasting over his stand-up show at the Edinburgh Frnge.
Seems to be instigated by serial Daily Mail/Telegraph favourites Sabrina Miller and Mandy Blumenthal

Not THAT conflict - but Reginald D Hunter has had a media roasting over his stand-up show at the Edinburgh Frnge.
Seems to be instigated by serial Daily Mail/Telegraph favourites Sabrina Miller and Mandy Blumenthal

I thought Blumenthal and her other half had quit the UK?

You may need to sign in to read, but essentially a number of human rights organisations/NGO's are taking the UK government to court over it's dragging of it's feet in issuing arms export bans to supplying weapons/parts to Israel:

Victims of the Qudeih family in the genocide carried out by the Israeli occupation and international complicity:
1. Hammad Khader Qudeih
2. Saif Hammad Qudeih
3. Aboud Suleiman Qudeih
4. Ahmed Ibrahim Qudeih
5. Salman Jalal Qudeih
6. Alaa Fouad Qudeih
7. Jawaher Qudeih
8. Rajab Ibrahim Qudeih
9. Salah Ibrahim Qudeih
10. Ayman Salah Qudeih
11. Shawqi Rajab Qudeih
12. Asid Qudeih
13. Montaser Jumaa Qudeih
14. Iyad Suleiman Qudeih
15. Shaimaa Abdelhadi Qudeih
16. Souad Salem Qudeih
17. Hanan Ibrahim Qudeih
18. Amouna Shawqi Qudeih
19. Maria Shadi Qudeih
20. Yassin Shadi Qudeih
21. Osama Shadi Qudeih
22. Walid Ahmed Qudeih
23. Ahmed Abdelmajid Qudeih
24. Kamal Ayman Qudeih
25. Jumaa Qudeih
26. Shadi Rajab Qudeih
27. Hani Ghassan Qudeih
28. Mohammed Ibrahim Qudeih
29. Muslim Mahmoud Qudeih
30. Suleiman Abu Rok "Qudeih" and his wife and two children
31. Nael Raja Qudeih
32. Nidal Attwa Qudeih
33. Hamada Hatem Qudeih
34. Mohammed Hossam Qudeih
35. Ataf Khalil Qudeih "Umm Ahmed"
36. And her daughter Nariman Qudeih
37. And her daughter Muna Qudeih
38. Tehani Qudeih
39. Iman Asaad Qudeih "Al-Akhras"
40. Her daughter Zainab Fadi Qudeih
41. Her son Naseem Fadi Qudeih
42. Her son Mohammed Fadi Qudeih
43. Her daughter Ghazal Fadi Qudeih
44. Alaa Basem Qudeih
45. Mohammed Ahmed Qudeih
46. Mohammed Muslim Qudeih
47. Maha Abdulrahman Qudeih and her infant daughter Sila
48. Musab Qudeih
49. Ibrahim Qudeih
50. Yassin Shadi Qudeih
51. Malak Bara Qudeih
52. Youssef Bara Qudeih
53. Osama Shadi Qudeih
54. Hanan Hamdan Qudeih
55. Lana Saber Ali Qudeih
56. Lamar Saber Qudeih
57. Ahmed Ziad Qudeih
58. Salim Hamdan Qudeih
59. Adnan Rasmi Qudeih
60. Sarah Khalil Qudeih
61. Mohannad Deeb Qudeih
62. Mazooza Qudeih
63. Ayman Diab Qudeih
64. Mohammed Khaled Qudeih
65. Emad Naji Qudeih
66. Mohammed Taysir Qudeih
67. Salman Salem Qudeih
68. Osama Mohammed Qudeih
69. Mohammed Salem Qudeih
70. Adam Kamal Qudeih
71. Yasser Ibrahim Qudeih
72. Kamel Mohammed Qudeih
73. Fatima Khalil Qudeih
74. Amr Farid Qudeih
75. Salim Hamdan Qudeih
76. Ahmed Ziad Qudeih
77. Maher Mohammed Mahmoud Qudeih
78. Jihad Mohammed Qudeih
79. Talha Atta Qudeih
80. Rua Aatif Qudeih
81. Nader Salem Qudeih
82. Bassam Suleiman Hamad Qudeih
83. Addy Jamal Qudeih
84. Hajjah Sariya Qudeih
85. Hazem Ahmed Qudeih
86. Abdelkader Barhem Qudeih
87. Mona Wissam Qudeih
88. Mounes Hosni Qudeih
89. Mohammed Ayman Qudeih
90. Medhat Ayman Qudeih
91. Abdo Zaki Qudeih
92. Ahmed Rizq Qudeih
93. Mohammed Awad Qudeih
94. Rasmiya Suleiman Qudeih
95. Hosni Abdel Salman Qudeih
96. Mohammed Suleiman Qudeih
97. Yasser Qudeih
98. Ahmed Ashraf Qudeih
99. Basem Raja Qudeih
100. Mahmoud Anwar Qudeih
101. Baha Amin Qudeih
102. Qasim Riyad Qudeih
103. Basem Amin Qudeih
104. Saif Al-Din Nahl Qudeih
105. Musab Fayez Qudeih
106. Karim Baha Qudeih
107. Hilmi Qudeih and his wife Fathiya Qudeih
108. Mamoun Hilmi Qudeih
109. Wissam Hossam Qudeih
110. Iyad Salem Qudeih
111. Hala Ahmed Qudeih
112. Maram Fouad Qudeih
113. Fatima Fouad Qudeih 1
14. Nada Ismail Qudeih
115. Taysir Qudeih
116. Mohammed Qudeih
117. Ahlam Qudeih
118. Mahmoud Qudeih and his two daughters
119. Muna Mahmoud Qudeih
120. Judy Mahmoud Qudeih
121. Jana Yassin Mohammed Qudeih
122. Mariam Anwar Qudeih
123. Manal Salem Qudeih
124. The child Mohammed Bilal Qudeih
125. Wael Khairi Qudeih
126. Musab Rashad Qudeih

1724499814749.png

from

Yeah, this kind of reply is why there are three people here now. You know what I meant. So why should I bother with this kind of trolling shit.

You posted "it's ghettos" with a link to a wiki article on ghettos. I only asked what specifically you're calling a ghetto, it's not a trick question.

Been following what's been happening at the Democrat National Convention. I do not know much about how US politics works but DNC is where the Democrats come together to meet and make speeches. Especially now as Harris is the presidential candidate.

So it has symbolic importance. It's in Chicago which has large Palestinian American community. This year delegates have been encouraged to represent US as a rainbow nation.

Except for Palestinian Americans. ( From Vanity Fair article)
Maybe more than in any other year, this DNC has urged its various constituencies to highlight their identities and the collective pain that animates them. Racism, forced birth, land theft. It has been an exhibition of what the Palestinian scholar Edward Said called “the permission to narrate,” and it is that permission that Palestinian Americans have been denied.

The Uncommitted are group of Democrats who want arms embargo on Israel. And a change in US policy on Israel longer term.

THey tried to get a speaker allowed and Harris campaign in end said no.

Speech that was to be given is here:

The writer of the Vanity Fair article went to visit Israel. Here is his conclusion as an American:

Last summer I spent ten days traveling the lands under Israeli rule. What I saw was hauntingly familiar. For as sure as my ancestors were born into a country where none of them was the equal of any white man, Israel is a state where no Palestinian is ever the equal of any Jewish person

And he compares Israel ( personally Id rather say Zionism as saying Israel implies all Israelis agree with this state of affairs. Zionism as a political programme is the problem. ) with the way black Americans were treated..
Israel and its defenders often claim that it is the “only democracy in the Middle East.” But what I saw was an ethnocracy, where half the people are first-class citizens, and the other half are something less. And this is a system sponsored and endorsed by the United States of America. The endorsement is not contradictory. For most of its history, America too was an ethnocracy in democratic clothing. The ostensible triumph over that old system, which we call Jim Crow, is one of the most uplifting stories America tells itself, one that has been repeatedly invoked at the DNC. How odd I find it that a people, presently brutalized by a similar system, whose relatives are being erased by that system’s wanton violence, are also being erased from the stage

Vanity Fair let one read one article before the pay wall comes up.

Good article and shows how Palestinian struggle can be linked to struggles of Black people in US.

This is all relevant as realistically its US that can stop what is happening in Gaza. And looks like as here with Labour Harris takes a different tone but is going to do the same as Biden if elected.

I watched this last night. Two Palestinian and one Jewish Democrat. Two were elected officials.

This was painful to watch. As they are trying to remain hopeful of change in policy towards Israel in Democrat party. IMO its not going to happen.

So they are stuck between voting for a Democrat who will support Israel whatever it does and Trump. And as it will be close election not voting Democrat may let Trump in.

They pointed out the Democratic base and younger people support Palestinians. Its further up the leadership that being pro Israel starts.

Touched on was the power of the Israeli lobby in USA. The Jewish democrat had lost his place due to AIPAC. He is now back as an elected official.

Touched on as imo its powerful in US. And well funded. More so than here.

June this year...Micheál Martin

"I am very clear that there is no weaponry going via Ireland to Israel and certainly, as I have said, not through any airport. There is absolutely no evidence at all to suggest any airport in Ireland or Irish sovereign airspace is being used to transport weapons to the conflict in the Middle East. There is a distinction drawn between civil aircraft and military aircraft. Civil aircraft come under the Department of Transport. Diplomatic clearance comes under the Department of Foreign Affairs. That is the long-standing situation. In our view, the permission given by Ireland to foreign military or state aircraft to overfly or land in this State is fully compatible with our policy of military neutrality."

Might have to swallow those words...

Back
Top Bottom