Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

The harrying of the civilian population would seem to indicate that the IDF have not actually been able to neutralise Hamas militarily. Does anyone know what might be going on there?
WRT to the food situation the IDF appear to be deliberately killing anyone Palestinian who may be in a position to coordinate distribution of food supplies. See post #12,044

Also I posted another thread from Twitter regarding Al-Shifa hospital and the fact that it has/had become the locus of the Palestinian community still in the north, post #11,962. There does not, however seem to be much information regarding the presence of Hamas in the north.

Last edited:
WRT to the food situation the IDF appear to be deliberately killing anyone Palestinian who may be in a position to coordinate distribution of food supplies. See post #12,044

Al;so I posted another thread from Twitter regarding Al-Shifa hospital and the fact that it has/had become the locus of the Palestinian community still in the north. There does not, however seem to be much information regarding the presence of Hamas in the north.
We've seen enough evidence that they consider any Palestinian left in the north to be Hamas by default. And yes, they have now moved on from the bombing phase of the operation to the famine phase.

A cynic might even suggest that the last thing Israel wants is to destroy Hamas. That would remove the pretext for the genocide.

We've seen enough evidence that they consider any Palestinian left in the north to be Hamas by default. And yes, they have now moved on from the bombing phase of the operation to the famine phase.

A cynic might even suggest that the last thing Israel wants is to destroy Hamas. That would remove the pretext for the genocide.
au contraire. by killing all the palestinians you obvs destroy hamas. at least in gaza

This is beyond pathetic. Now the US abstains from Security Council resolution.

it's good they didn't use the veto, and that will really rile netanyahu

Parallel Universe stuff from the US. It's all Hamas's fault.

US Ambassador and Permanent Representative Linda Thomas-Greenfield said that in adopting the resolution, the Security Council “spoke out in support” of the ongoing diplomatic efforts led by the US, Qatar and Egypt to bring about an immediate and sustainable ceasefire, secure the immediate release of all hostages, and help alleviate the tremendous suffering of Palestinian civilians in need in Gaza.

“The United States fully supports these critical objectives,” she said.

“In fact, they were the foundation of the resolution we put forward last week – a resolution that Russia and China vetoed.”

Emphasizing that her country’s support for the objectives “is not simply rhetorical,” Ms. Thomas-Greenfield said that the US “is working around the clock to make them real on the ground, through diplomacy.”

She urged Council members to be clear that a ceasefire could have come “months ago” had Hamas been ready to release the hostages, accusing the group of throwing roadblocks in the path of peace.

“So today my ask to the members of this Council…is ‘speak out and demand unequivocally that Hamas accepts the deal on the table’,” she said.

There is no one I hate more than bullies, I don't really even think of them as fellow humans, just as filth that need to be hunted down, caged and exterminated. What sort of piece of garbage could do this to a defenceless child? Deserves nothing less than a bullet in the head and then having his corpse dumped in a rubbish tip.

Parallel Universe stuff from the US. It's all Hamas's fault.

I watched highlights of the UN vote on Al Jazeera. UK to my surprise voted for.

The speech after vote by US was greeted with stony silence. Unlike the applause when ceasefire vote passed.

And yes the speech went on about Hamas. Nothing about Israel response to Hamas attack.

One for the ICJ or even the ICC if they ever get their act together. Lovely man. :(

Even by the standards of the Israeli far right, I really find it hard to believe Almog Cohen actually exists (italics added for emphasis, the text below comes from here):

3. Almog Cohen

Ben Gvir has called Cohen “the warrior from the Negev.” Indeed, Cohen, 35, established a civilian patrol (referred to in some accounts as an armed militia or vigilante group) to “fight crime among Bedouins.” He had previously served in the Israel Police for 11 years after his army service.

Cohen scrubbed his social media accounts before the election, but some posts were captured in media reports. In one, he referred to the Justice Department as “the attack dogs of post-Nazism.”

He also recently published a photo of himself as a police officer kneeling over three Bedouins with the caption: “Those down there remember what I did in the army.” The post, however, enabled the men in the photo to identify Cohen and press charges. They testified that Cohen and other officers assaulted them, urinated on them and threatened them with “a bullet to the head.”

Cohen also called for an operation against Bedouins in the Naqab, which he called “Crystal Night.”

Powerful report to UN human rights body on situation in Gaza

By UN special rapporteur Francesca Albanese.

Lays out reasoning why what is happening in Gaza constitutes Genocide.

As she says intent is the one to prove. Plenty of what those in charge in Israel have been saying constitutes intent. This is internalised by those on the ground. Also across Israeli society.

She also say Genocide is a process. The dehumanisation of Palestinians is a start.

She also puts in the historical context of way Palestinians have been treated since 48. And since the occupation of 67. Israel is colonial settler state. And has been denying Palestinians self determination.

International community has allowed this to happen with Israeli exceptionalism and impunity.

This must stop. When ICJ ruled their was a case to answer those countries who were signed up to the Genocide international convention should , as they are obliged to , have acted.

They should at the very least have arms embargo on Israel.

Its a short presentation and well worth watching. She is a lawyer and puts case methodically and well.

She makes a summary 10 minutes into the video.

Even by the standards of the Israeli far right, I really find it hard to believe Almog Cohen actually exists (italics added for emphasis, the text below comes from here):

Quote said:
Cohen also called for an operation against Bedouins in the Naqab, which he called “Crystal Night.”

Not that this remotely excuses it, but some of this virulent Israeli brutality seems to me a classic example of what happens when generational trauma gets celebrated/nurtured, as the shoah is so often treated as a foundational element of Israeli identity. Calling his fucked up plan 'crystal night' is a bit of a giveaway there IMO

Please sign and share:

Signed...a bit disappointing that less than 4000 sigs so far. ..off to forward the link

Without wanting to be too cynical, the very real prospect of British made arms being used to commit or facilitate serious violations of international humanitarian law has never made much difference in the past, has it?

Yes. Thatcher stopped selling them arms. Thatcher

I wasn't aware of that, but I wasn't talking specifically about arms sales to Israel.

There is always a significant risk that British-made arms being sold abroad will be used to commit or facilitate serious violations of international humanitarian law. If the government were genuinely concerned about this, they wouldn't permit such sales in the first place.

I wasn't aware of that, but I wasn't talking specifically about arms sales to Israel.

There is always a significant risk that British-made arms being sold abroad will be used to commit or facilitate serious violations of international humanitarian law. If the government were genuinely concerned about this, they wouldn't permit such sales in the first place.
I agree with the sentiment. The international arms trade is a dirty business, and the UK's hands are as dirty as anyone's. But it still makes a material difference who you sell those weapons to.

There is always a significant risk that British-made arms being sold abroad will be used.

Back
Top Bottom