Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

As an aside - and I don't think the Balfour declaration has turned out to be a good idea - it frightens me when normal inhibitions break down and art is vandalised.
Same goes for Just Stop Oil and any other movements embracing cultural vandalism.
I get you. Generally I agree that destroying "art" and ancient architecture is wrong...
But....It frightens me more when there's a genocide ongoing in the world and some rich twats painting is deemed more important.

Where is the evidence that the State of Israel funded Hamas in recent decades?

This is an interesting article from the Israeli Times ...

And

"Israel in the 1980s aided the rise of the Islamist Hamas as a rival to the secular Palestinian Liberation Organization and its dominant faction, Yasser Arafat’s Fatah. Israel’s policy was clearly influenced by the U.S. training and arming of mujahideen (or Islamic holy warriors) in Pakistan from multiple countries to wage jihad against Soviet forces in Afghanistan."

"American President Donald Trump in 2017 is reported to have decided to shut down the covert Syrian regime-change program."

"Israel, by contrast, persisted with its covert nexus with Hamas. With the consent of Israel, Qatar, a longtime sponsor of jihadi groups, funneled $1.8 billion to Hamas just between 2012 and 2021, according to the Haaretz newspaper."

"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has been in power for much of the past decade and a half, told a meeting of his Likud Party’s Knesset members in 2019 that, “Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas,” adding, “This is part of our strategy — to isolate the Palestinians in Gaza from the Palestinians in the West Bank.”

Same article

Last edited:

This is an interesting article from the Israeli Times ...

And

"Israel in the 1980s aided the rise of the Islamist Hamas as a rival to the secular Palestinian Liberation Organization and its dominant faction, Yasser Arafat’s Fatah. Israel’s policy was clearly influenced by the U.S. training and arming of mujahideen (or Islamic holy warriors) in Pakistan from multiple countries to wage jihad against Soviet forces in Afghanistan."

Neither of these articles states that the State of Israel funded Hamas in recent decades. There is evidence that, in the 1980s, the organisation that became Hamas received cash, but that was before it engaged in military activity.

Neither of these articles states that the State of Israel funded Hamas in recent decades. There is evidence that, in the 1980s, the organisation that became Hamas received cash, but that was before it engaged in military activity.

Same article..

Screenshot_20240309_130521_Chrome.jpg

As an aside - and I don't think the Balfour declaration has turned out to be a good idea - it frightens me when normal inhibitions break down and art is vandalised.
Same goes for Just Stop Oil and any other movements embracing cultural vandalism.
One of the most pointless examples of destroying art for attention. Hard to imagine much more attention on Gaza, and there are already calls from pretty much everyone to have a ceasefire. Hard to imagine Israel was waiting for one more random old painting to destroy to change their mind. Just a bit of look at me activism for clout.

One of the most pointless examples of destroying art for attention. Hard to imagine much more attention on Gaza, and there are already calls from pretty much everyone to have a ceasefire. Hard to imagine Israel was waiting for one more random old painting to destroy to change their mind. Just a bit of look at me activism for clout.
Has the UK government called for an immediate ceasefire? Has it stopped supporting Israel at the UN or stopped supplying weapons? What that action does is highlight our historic responsibility. It's not aimed at influencing Israel.

Has the UK government called for an immediate ceasefire? Has it stopped supporting Israel at the UN or stopped supplying weapons? What that action does is highlight our historic responsibility. It's not aimed at influencing Israel.
When I was a student we occupied the university telephone exchange to protest about Apartheid.
But that was Manchester, Clearly Cambridge University students are more vicious.

You think this will make any difference? Ridiculous. If it will do anything it will turn people against the cause. The same as with Just Stop Oil.

I'm usually pretty uncomfortable with art vandalism, but this was at least extremely targeted... Nor is it exactly what you'd call a major work of art, I don't think the body of work or reputation of Philip de Laszlo, who everyone here has definitely heard of, will suffer that much. Not really any more troubling than pitching statues into bodies of water. Even as someone in arty stuff I'd probably leave this one as is/repair minimally and add a note on its history.

The tactics are something else mind, I agree that this sort of action isn't usually particularly productive.

It's made a whole load of people aware of the Balfour declaration in a country that is generally historically illiterate and unaware of this country's part in many ongoing disputes / injustices. And has also likely raised awareness of the incredible scale of cultural destruction - universities, heritage, etc - going on in Gaza.

I'm not actually convinced it's the right tactic - ambivalent about it to be honest - but I can see the justification.

It's made a whole load of people aware of the Balfour declaration in a country that is generally historically illiterate and unaware of this country's part in many ongoing disputes / injustices. And has also likely raised awareness of the incredible scale of cultural destruction - universities, heritage, etc - going on in Gaza.

I'm not actually convinced it's the right tactic - ambivalent about it to be honest - but I can see the justification.
How many is 'a whole load'?

They might've been better off just spray painting Balfour's hands with that red paint, to symbolise that he has blood on his hands, rather than slashing the painting. It would've made the point and could've been more easily restored. I'd say that was an own goal on their part.

I mean, call me a cynic, but this looks less like an attempt to gain an operational foothold and an attempt to cut off and annexe another whole chunk of land.

"IDF completes road across width of Gaza, satellite images show​

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has finished building a new road which runs across northern Gaza from east to west, according to satellite images verified by the BBC.
The IDF told the BBC they were attempting to gain an "operational foothold", and facilitate the movement of troops and equipment.
But some experts fear it will used as a barrier, preventing Palestinians from returning to their homes in the north.
Others said it appeared to be part of an Israeli plan to remain in Gaza beyond the end of current hostilities.

They might've been better off just spray painting Balfour's hands with that red paint, to symbolise that he has blood on his hands, rather than slashing the painting. It would've made the point and could've been more easily restored. I'd say that was an own goal on their part.
I disagree. I don't like the destruction of works of art anymore than anyone. But the kind of genteel "now look here old chap" idea you're proposing just would not have gathered the same degree of attention as the actual (partial) destruction of the painting.

Back
Top Bottom