Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

In all seriousness from the article:

Just what the fuck. :mad:

And I noticed this from the article:

UNRWA funding was cut on this basis:

informed source told MEE that Cameron had suspended funding “only on the basis of information in the public domain”. The Foreign Office declined at the time to answer whether this was true and on what basis it had acted.

This all contrasts with way Israel is treated. In that case Cameron does nothing.

What is this shit?

Really?
View attachment 415106

This was mentioned earlier as an EU initiative (e.g in El Pais here). Pretty sure there was similar in the graun around lunch. Seems a bit as if the US has gone 'oh that seems legit, we'll do that, will work for the elections'.

What is this shit?

Really?
View attachment 415106
im being paranoid but amongst the zionists there is a very strong publicly-stated desire for any gazan survivors to be shipped off to other countries and I worry that this 'port' will come to take on this role.

#

im being paranoid but amongst the zionists there is a very strong publicly-stated desire for any gazan survivors to be shipped off to other countries and I worry that this 'port' will come to take on this role.

#
My main issue with this totally ludicrous idea is that building a pier and getting the necessary logistics in place takes time of which there is none left. Stop the transfer of weapons and money would be my bright idea.

meanwhile....

Can't see this staying up for long on reddit but also can't see how to copy the video.

That's been on instagram a good 2 months.
To be fair to instagram..there is a lot of direct footage from Gaza and the West Bank..broadcast via instagram. Some accounts were being blocked and removed before Christmas but now there are very immediate reports on daily with what is actual evidence of Israel's genocide on the people of Gaza and the West Bank. Middle East Eye being one of the best accounts to follow.b

There'll be a fair few English people turning up to repossess then.

I just mean, if stealing land at the point of a sword or a gun is a bad thing (and I think nowadays we mainly agree that it is) then all settler nations whose lands were taken that way from a native population need to be judged/mocked/condemned by the same standard.

Unless it's just this one particular little country which gets all the opprobrium for doing that.

I just mean, if stealing land at the point of a sword or a gun is a bad thing (and I think nowadays we mainly agree that it is) then all settler nations whose lands were taken that way from a native population need to be judged/mocked/condemned by the same standard.

Unless it's just this one particular little country which gets all the opprobrium for doing that.
You must have noticed that this is an ongoing conflict in which our government has taken sides. The ideology behind it, Zionism, is racist and colonialist. People object to all that, as well as the ongoing genocide which is happening right now. People also object to other aggressions around the globe right now, e.g. the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I struggle to read about Cortés as it makes me so fucking angry. I've put off reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for three decades as I know it'll upset me (though I've read others on the subject). I recommend King Leopold's Ghost and The Fatal Shore to anyone who asks for a history book recommendation.

If any of these things were happening right now, with the full support of our government and media, front page news every day, the latest developments beamed straight to our phones, then I suspect there'd be plenty of outrage to go around.

You must have noticed that this is an ongoing conflict in which our government has taken sides. The ideology behind it, Zionism, is racist and colonialist. People object to all that, as well as the ongoing genocide which is happening right now. People also object to other aggressions around the globe right now, e.g. the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Right, but that wasn't what the video was about. It was explicitly mocking/criticising the idea of 'settling' on someone else's land, comparing it to stealing someone's house at gunpoint; indeed of killing them to take it.

My point is, Israel is far from the only state that comparison can be made about. So either we direct the same attitude at every settler state of the last 300 years, or...

Or what? The Jewish one is singularly worthy of a video like this? That's how it looks tbh.

Right, but that wasn't what the video was about. It was explicitly mocking/criticising the idea of 'settling' on someone else's land, comparing it to stealing someone's house at gunpoint; indeed of killing them to take it.

My point is, Israel is far from the only state that comparison can be made about. So either we direct the same attitude at every settler state of the last 300 years, or...

Or what? The Jewish one is singularly worthy of a video like this? That's how it looks tbh.
it wouldnt be a live issue if there was a peaceful two state or one state solution in the many decades past, but instead the incomplete settling process is continuing right now with the most barbaric ethnic cleansing taking place this second.
Weak whataboutery

it wouldnt be a live issue if there was a peaceful two state or one state solution in the many decades past, but instead the incomplete settling process is continuing right now with the most barbaric ethnic cleansing taking place this second.
Weak whataboutery

No it's quite strong whataboutery actually.

Australia, OK. Barbados, lovely. USA, fine.

Israel....

Not ok.

This all suggests that had Israel been instituted in 1748 instead of 1948 we'd be ok with it.

That's not really an outrageous suggestion though is it? I think it's pretty clear that for better or worse the amount of time something has been the de facto situation for does obviously make a difference. FWIW I'd say Israel in itself is already some way along that path but it's a long way from being in the same position as, say, the US, and that really doesn't apply to Gaza or the West Bank at all.

This all suggests that had Israel been instituted in 1748 instead of 1948 we'd be ok with it.
by no means. would we have been ok with eg the penal laws in ireland? the periodic massacres of christians in ottoman europe? the duration of an injustice makes it no less an injustice. the length of time the irish, for example, have fought for their freedom demonstrates that such struggles can last for centuries.

Israel....

Not ok.
we've done this numerous times. Your may not agree with the arguments against your view, but to pretend they haven't happened is just plain dishonest.

In all those places the indigenous peoples now have full, equal, rights. That is not that case with apartheid Israel. It's a pretty significant difference. Even the Saffers recognised that.

we've done this numerous times. Your may not agree with the arguments against your view, but to pretend they haven't happened is just plain dishonest.

In all those places the indigenous peoples now have full, equal, rights. That is not that case with apartheid Israel. It's a pretty significant difference. Even the Saffers recognised that.
where are the arawaks and caribs? no longer in barbados, i think you'll find

Israel....

Not ok.
I think we're at cross purposes here. When I saw the video I didn't take it as a general statement about Israel's historical right versus the Palestinians'. I saw it as a particular reference to the reports and videos that are out where Israeli settlers are turning up in the West Bank to eject Palestinians from their homes and take them for their own, backed by the Israeli army who will shoot Palestinians who resist.

Most countries have had some form of "settler violence" in their founding or history, but the video is specifically satirising the use of historical claims to justify it. Settlement of USA and Australia didn't really use this kind of justification.

Israel certainly isn't the only state to use such justification - China leans on history a lot in their territorial claims and settler colonialism over Tibetans and Uyghurs (and threats to Taiwan) and Russia also has similar rhetoric over Ukraine being part of Russia and not a real country. Which has also been satirised a fair bit as well, I liked this meme:

1709904548956.png

Back
Top Bottom