Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

A couple of updates from Al Jazeera on the starvation/famine.

Qatar pledges $25m to UNWRA. Better later than never.

Despair so high any passage of trucks an attraction to hungry people: UNRWA​

“Ninety percent of the population today in Gaza is facing a high level of acute food insecurity,” Alrifai said.

“Therefore anyone seeing a convoy of aid trucks going through their part of Gaza will jump on these trucks out of hunger, despair and fear and will try to help themselves onto these convoys – especially as we’re hearing more and more about children under the age of two now dying of hunger-related diseases and dehydration,” she added.

George Galloway described Hamas as 'The elected government of Gaza'.

Am I wrong in thinking that Hamas were elected in 2006, but there have been no elections since then?

I appreciate that they are the de facto government, but are they genuinely an elected government? Functionally, it makes no odds, but my knowledge of the politics of the area is slim, and the Wiki response to 'Did the people of Gaza elect Hamas' is more than a tad complicated.

Hamas were indeed elected in the occupied territories Gaza and the West Bank in 2006 (possibly 2005, I can't remember). I think most analyses sees this victory as (primarily?) an expression of a popular vote against corruption. Fatah with Israeli and US backing launched a coup overthrowing Hamas and then Hamas launced a counter coup which was only successful in Gaza and there's been a bitter feud between the two factions ever since. Israel responded to Hamas's counter coup with the blockade of Gaza.

The mandate for the election of Hamas has long since expired, of course, but it's still very reasonable to say that the Hamas government in Gaza has more legitimacy than the Palestinian Authority which really has non whatsoever.

Orhtodox Jews in Israel protest against being called up.

And

Edited to remove fake MEM report on Hagari resignation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you think this is a good thing or a bad thing
You should know from my posts that I support a free Palestine and want this genocide to stop.

Yes. Its a good thing that Orthodox Jews are refusing to be hauled into war ...and conscripted. They are standing against this horror

Last edited:
FWIW that Hagari thing has been debunked
According to the Jerusalem Post there have been a number of people leaving the IDF Spokespersons Unit. It claims that of those reported to have resigned:

Daniel Hagari hasn't resigned.

Second in command Shlomit Muller-Butbul was supposed to leave the week that the war broke out, but then, because the war broke out, she stayed a little. She has now resigned.

Moran Katz completed her contractual obligations and did not extend her contract after over four years in her position.

Tzofiya Moshkovitz hasn't resigned.

Richard Hecht is resigning.

Merav Granot Stoller has reached retirement age.

But since this information comes from the IDF Spokespersons Unit, there's no guarantees it's not an outright lie/a partial truth/a mangling of the truth/the opposite of the truth. That is an unfortunate number of people all going at once.

Are they actually against the war, or simply against being conscripted?
A substantial proportion of Ultra-Orthodox Jews are not Zionists and refuse to serve in the military of a secular Zionist state. There are or were Rabbis on the Palestine National Council, but many possibly don't care about a war which has not nothing do with them.

Last edited:
David Cameron's face isn't really worth saving. Unless it's being saved for target practice.
In all seriousness from the article:

By early February, Cameron told the second source, the UK was urging the agency to announce measures that could be put before parliament to justify the UK resuming funding.
According to the source, Cameron said "they were urging Unrwa to announce investigations not just into the allegations against the 12, but broader due diligence".
The source added: "He acknowledged that they were too hasty, and now they want Unrwa to help them dig themselves out of it, because they didn't want to assist Israel in destroying the organisation."
Just what the fuck. :mad:

Before the start of the Israeli government's onslaught you wouldn't have much chance in the way of electing an alternative and were in for trouble if you tried.
Hamas were indeed elected in the occupied territories Gaza and the West Bank in 2006 (possibly 2005, I can't remember). I think most analyses sees this victory as (primarily?) an expression of a popular vote against corruption. Fatah with Israeli and US backing launched a coup overthrowing Hamas and then Hamas launced a counter coup which was only successful in Gaza and there's been a bitter feud between the two factions ever since. Israel responded to Hamas's counter coup with the blockade of Gaza.

The mandate for the election of Hamas has long since expired, of course, but it's still very reasonable to say that the Hamas government in Gaza has more legitimacy than the Palestinian Authority which really has non whatsoever.
It is worth mentioning there were plans for legislative elections in Gaza and the West Bank in 2021. Hamas had held internal elections in preparation. Israel did not permit them to happen in East Jerusalem and Abbas called the whole thing off. Hamas wanted them to go ahead. Hamas have boycotted elections in the past though. Israel has also interfered in Palestinian election by arresting candidates and such.

Back
Top Bottom