Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

I saw elsewhere that the US is heading a multinational taskforce to deal with this situation:

1703056160117.png

Last edited:
As much as i can agree with the rest of your post, this raises eyebrows....baring in mind who the houthies are, how they destroyed a flourishing women's rights and students - movement, separated a country and in the process left large parts of it in rubble and on the brink of starvation, not much good will come of this....

Yes I agree, they are a deeply reactionary force and I think they are exploiting an opportunity here (I put much more blame on the Saudi led coalition for the death and destruction in Yemen, but OK point taken). But at the same time I think they might just tip the scales for the US on this and I can't help but love that they are embarrassing the gulf monarchies.

As much as i can agree with the rest of your post, this raises eyebrows....baring in mind who the houthies are, how they destroyed a flourishing women's rights and students - movement, separated a country and in the process left large parts of it in rubble and on the brink of starvation, not much good will come of this....
Agreed. I don't give a rats arse about the global economy or the Saudi backed regime but the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

I fear that yemen will pay a very heavy price for this

A large part of the war in Yemen was about stopping the potential for disrupting shipping. That's already been fought and lost. Maybe they could go in again harder Israeli style, but how hard is that politically?

Al-Jazeera are making hopeful noises about negotiations in Qatar, there might be UNSC resolution amenable to the Americans. We may be on the brink of a permanent ceasefire but I think the humanitarian crisis is well beyond stoppable now and whatever deal that emerges out of this will be terrible.

Agreed. I don't give a rats arse about the global economy or the Saudi backed regime but the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.
I agree. And it's important to bear in mind regarding all Islamist cunts around the world. It is depressing how resistance has become increasingly Islamist in its nature.

However, the fact that the US does give a rat's arse about the global economy means this intervention may make a difference. It's possible to recognise that without cheering on the Houtis.

I agree. And it's important to bear in mind regarding all Islamist cunts around the world. It is depressing how resistance has become increasingly Islamist in its nature.

However, the fact that the US does give a rat's arse about the global economy means this intervention may make a difference. It's possible to recognise that without cheering on the Houtis.
I am unsure if the Houthis are Islamist.

the humanitarian crisis is well beyond stoppable now

which is entirely the point and has been the MO since October 8. Netanyahu has decided that Gaza will be become uninhabitable. The destruction and murder will continue. This isn't about the hostages. it's about erasing Gaza as an entity.

They will probably succeed in that goal: Gaza will never go back to being what (little) it was -- it won't be rebuilt. The cost for that would be several times higher all the money spent on reconstruction in the previous "wars" combined. The genuine aim is to force a mass migration out of Gaza into Egypt.

Gaza, if it is ever rebuilt, will be rebuilt as Israel settler colonies.

I am unsure if the Houthis are Islamist.
The Houthi movement (/ˈhuːθi/; Arabic: الحوثيون al-Ḥūthīyūn [al.ħuː.θiː.juːn]), officially known as Ansar Allah (أنصار الله ʾAnṣār Allāh, lit. 'Supporters of God'), is a Shia Islamist political and military organization that emerged from Saada Governorate, Yemen in the 1990s.

Acts like a fascist, Dresses like a Fascist...I wonder how he smells
5710.jpg

which is entirely the point and has been the MO since October 8. Netanyahu has decided that Gaza will be become uninhabitable. The destruction and murder will continue. This isn't about the hostages. it's about erasing Gaza as an entity.

They will probably succeed in that goal: Gaza will never go back to being what (little) it was -- it won't be rebuilt. The cost for that would be several times higher all the money spent on reconstruction in the previous "wars" combined. The genuine aim is to force a mass migration out of Gaza into Egypt.

Gaza, if it is ever rebuilt, will be rebuilt as Israel settler colonies.

That's what they want to achieve but they are constrained by American interests. America wants to keep Egypt in its web of alliances against Iran/Houthis/Syria/Hezbollah. I think if the war stops now there won't be any chance of "transferring" the Gaza population into the Sinai. Not that I'm sure that it's going to stop now though...

Could you elaborate? How do you see that panning out?

Two main reasons - firstly, to maintain power he is going to have to change the state so that he will never face any consequences for his mismanagement. Doing that will prevent anyone competent from coming into a position of power who would be able to fix the mess he has caused, never mind the future messes.

Secondly, a lot of the security of the state depends on its deterrent effect of the IDF with regards to its neighbours. October 7th damaged the credibility of the IDF, but arguments can be made that they were isolated and understaffed formations taken by surprise, they were weakened by political miscalculations, although Hamas achieved some successes they were beaten back after a few hours etc etc. However going into Gaza and failing to win, especially after visibly making it an existential conflict, will obviously make the IDF seem much less capable.

What diplomatic engagement they had with neighbours was damaged by their repeated bad behaviour over previous negotiations, and has been destroyed by the brutality of the war so far. The diplomatic engagement with states further afield has been more of the interference type, with support bought at the elite level (via lobbying, arms supplies and services) rather than earned by appealing to populations. That has given the appearance of success, but as we see with the laughable nature of their PR it has resulted in them being unable and unwilling to try and come up with a narrative that other people can get behind.

Netanyahu will end up with an army that is seen as a defeated one, with no regional support and little useful support from further afield, and with a population that is absolutely does not support him but is unable to get rid of him via normal means. That is a massively risky situation for a country of nine million people to be in.

Back
Top Bottom