Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

I was about to say that's the first time I've been in agreement with a Governor of the Bank of England and then realised I'd got the wrong Montagu... so I won't. :oops:
The governor of the Bank of England was called Montagu Norman - and he was so powerful even Boris would not have got as look in (Montagu Norman was Governor of the Bank of England from 1920 - 1944).
There is a lot of word association about these days.

Head of Harvard may be sacked under pressure from politicians.

What I object to in these reports. And it's not just BBC, is that the students were not calling for genocide of Jews.

What these politicians are doing is saying that "to the river to the sea" is anti semitism. That it is same as calling for genocide of Jews.

Better explained in Al Jazeera..

• Republican Congresswoman Elise Stefanik, a Harvard alum and the college’s toughest critic on the panel, asserted that campus members call for the genocide of Jews when they chant phrases such as “from the river to the sea” and “Intifada” – a term she described as a “call for violent armed resistance” against Israel and Jews. Intifada is an Arabic word that translates to “uprising” and involves freedom from occupying powers.

For any Brixton residents:
CDN_RCGP_ARTUK032-001.jpg
Here is the English Mission Hospital in Jerusalem - architect Beresford Pite who also did Christ Church Brixton Road, St Saviours Herne Hill Road and the Anglican Cathedral in Namirembe, Uganda.
All to save souls. (Pre World War I)
Here is the account of this in the Jerusalem Post 2014 - which to me reads they are not grateful for the Church Missionary Society on their patch. A mission to heal
I guess that's understandable - but there again it's not as though Jerusalem ruled by Turkey was majority Jewish is it? Or is it?

Last edited:
For any Brixton residents:
View attachment 404105
Here is the English Mission Hospital in Jerusalem - architect Beresford Pite who also did Christ Church Brixton Road, St Saviours Herne Hill Road and the Anglican Cathedral in Namirembe, Uganda.
All to save souls. (Pre World War I)
Here is the account of this in the Jerusalem Post 2014 - which to me reads they are not grateful for the Church Missionary Society on their patch. A mission to heal
I guess that's understandable - but there again it's not as though Jerusalem ruled by Turkey was majority Jewish is it? Or is it?
wikipedia comes to the rescue Demographic history of Jerusalem - Wikipedia: by 1922 jerusalem was majority jewish according to the census the british conducted that year

That is what I am getting at. There are many that believe the current situation is prophesied in their books and you can’t deny that, if my lazy Bible quotes are so dangerous to you, do you condemn the headbangers throwing them from planes to people they are killing?
Yes.
I think maybe where we differ is that I don't see religion as a particularly important explanation for all this - yes, there are certainly fundamentalist Jews among the Israeli leadership, but it's not like Biden, Starmer, Sunak and Modi share a faith with Netanyahu, and yet they're all willing to endorse the slaughter. Similarly, I'd see the companies that make and supply the planes to Israel as being deeply implicated in what's going on, but I don't think their boards of directors are any more religious than any other company directors. So other explanations are needed.

Anyway, a bit of good news:
Puma are denying the decision is BDS-related, but they would say that, they've definitely been a major target of BDS pressure - as mentioned in this thread, O'Neills stopped selling Puma over their Israeli football links, for instance.
Also, would be interested to see a bit more discussion of what the Gaza solidarity strike call looked like in various countries - I think in a lot of places it seems like it involved businesses voluntarily closing rather than workers withdrawing their labour, so a bit messy from a class point of view, but it's more than the nothing it could've been, pretty major step in terms of what the international solidarity movement looks like, eg:

Yes.
I think maybe where we differ is that I don't see religion as a particularly important explanation for all this - yes, there are certainly fundamentalist Jews among the Israeli leadership, but it's not like Biden, Starmer, Sunak and Modi share a faith with Netanyahu, and yet they're all willing to endorse the slaughter. Similarly, I'd see the companies that make and supply the planes to Israel as being deeply implicated in what's going on, but I don't think their boards of directors are any more religious than any other company directors. So other explanations are needed.
I think it's important to separate out a few things. The persecution of Jews in Europe was clearly the major driver of the settlement of Jews in Palestine in the decades before the creation of the state of Israel. The choice of Palestine as the place for Jews to move to was clearly influenced by religious traditions, historical traditions, myths and stories in the Bible. And those traditions remain important for many Israelis today.

And I think it's right to have a lot of sympathy for the descendants of Jews fleeing persecution who find themselves born into the Israeli state. Where else could they be expected to go? But that's where Belboid's earlier point comes in. Can you say that you have really settled somewhere when your group has displaced another group that your group is still actively oppressing? Looked at from an Israeli point of view, making a proper and just peace with Palestinians is the best way, perhaps the only way, for them to truly claim that they belong on that land. Justice for Palestinians also brings peace for Israelis. It is a tragedy that so few Israelis can see that.

The heart of Gaza's southern city of Khan Younis has turned into a ghost town.

Israeli tanks have not yet reached here, but the IDF controls the area with intense fire.

Musa Al-Masri, who owns a cigarette shop on the main Jalal Street, told the BBC: "I miraculously escaped death when I tried to reach my shop in the central town. A quadcopter drone fired intensely at me. I took cover behind the wall and escaped through a side road. I did not see the Israeli forces, but I felt death everywhere."

The IDF says its ground, air, and naval forces are continuing "precise strikes on terror targets and infrastructure across the Gaza Strip, with over 250 terror targets struck over the last day".

Sick. Absolutely sick.

Re: the point by teqniq, concerning the real motives of the public humiliation of Gazans - the point that the resistance are punching above their weight and so on. A lot of chatter on the idiot web (my new name for X) is arguing that Israeli casualties are pretty bloody high, and higher than officially admitted.

I think that chatter may well be right. . . but I think the only result of that is that the civilian population will be hit even harder. . .

Re: the point by teqniq, concerning the real motives of the public humiliation of Gazans - the point that the resistance are punching above their weight and so on. A lot of chatter on the idiot web (my new name for X) is arguing that Israeli casualties are pretty bloody high, and higher than officially admitted.

I think that chatter may well be right. . . but I think the only result of that is that the civilian population will be hit even harder. . .
Saw this earlier being reported on via X/Twitter:

Only Israeli protests against the war can stop this. No international pressure can. There is too much money to be made selling them weapons.

Israeli protests against the war are minuscule and sadly irrelevant just now. One day they may matter but the Israeli peace movement is .. well its taken as seriously inside Israel as you might imagine. See how seriously any peace movement is taken in the UK? So less than that.

Only concerted international effort can stop this, so we might as well wish for Superman.

Last edited:
Only Israeli protests against the war can stop this. No international pressure can.
The US has...or to some degree had... a massive sway over all of this....at this point the Israeli state is tooled up and nothing will stop them, this is their dreams come true....meaningful local dissent will just result in imprisonment or worse like in Russia...the runway is clear...its all over....

I appreciate it sounds like an archetypal moan but its the US that has enabled this now, yesterday, and all along the bloody road. I blame the US more than I do the psychopaths in the Israeli government, its the US that are the ultimate enablers with real power here. This is the logical outcome of years of US foreign policy.

Last edited:
I keep thinking about John Prescott :D he reckons he was tricked by Blair for going along with the invasion of Iraq...personally I dont buy it for a second, he had access to information we don't, i think he knew full well, but its interesting to think of all the establishment politicians and how many of them genuinely are thick fucks who did't really cotton on to what is happening here in Gaza..

as with so much of their politics its either ignorance or genuine deep down brutality. I wonder what the percentage split is. I think most of them are just murderous and heartless people at heart rather than naive fools in too deep.

Back
Top Bottom