Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

No, he's a cowardly blustering cunt. Hours of nonsense about how Israel is so weak, the Palestinians brave and an inspiration... infact so brave they'll sit this one out for the moment thank you very much.

Years of spouting death to the Jews and USA, and it comes to him bottling it at a critical time. Shit at his best thing.
i am inclined to think it is certainly that, in part but it is also the Iranians telling him now is not the time. What with 2 US carrier groups in the Med, you don't have far to look for reasons why.

I'm not going to link to either tweet - because one of them was by known wrong 'un Max Blumenthal, and the other was by what I strongly suspect is an Israeli sockpuppet - but there's footage out there of a column of civilian refugees dead on the road from North to South Gaza. According to the sockpuppet, these were victims of a Hamas sniper, punishing them for running out in the hour of need. To Mrs Blumenthal's boy, this is much more likely to be an IDF atrocity.

What inclines me to the latter view is that the bodies looked evenly spaced, and more or less in line. A sniper would be slower in his individual shots than a helicopter-borne machine-gunner (or so I would assume), and would give at least some of the column time enough to scatter and seek cover. Which there was no sign of here.

Last edited:
I'm not going to link to either tweet - because one of them was by known wrong 'un Max Blumenthal, and the other was by what I strongly suspect is an Israeli sockpuppet - but there's footage out there of a column of civilian refugees dead on the road from North to South Gaza. According to the sockpuppet, these were victims of a Hamas sniper, punishing them for running out in the hour of need. To Mrs Blumenthal's boy, this is much more likely to be an IDF atrocity.

What inclines me to the latter view is that the bodies look evenly spaced, and more or less in line. A sniper would be slower in his individual shots than a helicopter-borne machine-gunner (or so I would assume), and would give at least some of the column time enough to scatter and seek cover. Which there was no sign of here.

"Scores dead or injured after Israel targeted ambulance convoy, says Hamas-controlled health ministry
The health ministry in Hamas-controlled Gaza said scores of Palestinians were killed and injured on Friday in Israeli targeting of an ambulance convoy carrying critically wounded people in Gaza.

The health ministry spokesman, Ashraf Al-Qudra, earlier said they would send critically injured Palestinians who needed to be urgently transferred for treatment in Egypt from Gaza city and the north to the south, Reuters reported."

from here: Israel-Hamas war live: no ceasefire until hostages released, Netanyahu says; Hezbollah threatens to escalate fighting

"Scores dead or injured after Israel targeted ambulance convoy, says Hamas-controlled health ministry
The health ministry in Hamas-controlled Gaza said scores of Palestinians were killed and injured on Friday in Israeli targeting of an ambulance convoy carrying critically wounded people in Gaza.

The health ministry spokesman, Ashraf Al-Qudra, earlier said they would send critically injured Palestinians who needed to be urgently transferred for treatment in Egypt from Gaza city and the north to the south, Reuters reported."

from here: Israel-Hamas war live: no ceasefire until hostages released, Netanyahu says; Hezbollah threatens to escalate fighting
Jesus wept

If you claim that South Africa and Israel are unique in being Apartheid regimes, it is.
I think the physical separation aspects of Israel and SA are fairly unique, though a broader definition definitely brings in more countries. To me Apartheid is a specific word about physical separation that goes beyonda more general ethnic/religious oppression. But we've already been round this ...

Verso have increased the number of free e books on their list,

If you claim that South Africa and Israel are unique in being Apartheid regimes, it is.
tbf uniqueness is hardly a killer blow here. The Israeli government constantly plays a game of whatabouttery over their atrocities - how come you're not also criticising X, Y or Z?

If you can make a good case for other instances, fine. I doubt a single person here defends whatever it is you're suggesting. But again, we're just left with whatabouttery. Israel is an example of an apartheid state. So are other states? That doesn't mean Israel isn't.

And it is Israel that is being armed to the teeth by the US and its lackey the UK. Far from condemning the atrocity as they might wrt the Rohingya or Uyghur, they actively support and enable it. That does give those of us living in those countries a particular special interest in this case.

Before this month, 18,500 married men over the age of 25 had permission from the Israeli authorities to enter the country, mostly to work in agriculture and construction, as part of an Israeli policy designed to alleviate Gaza’s crushing poverty and create an economic lifeline that it was believed Hamas would be loth to jeopardise.

An unknown number of these workers were swept up in raids across Israel in the days after 7 October and imprisoned under the principle of administrative detention, which allows the arrest of suspects without charge or access to the evidence against them on the grounds that they may break the law in future.
Jfc. That's just fascism. Creating criminals by national identity and on the grounds of they might be lawbreakers in the future.

Hamas fighters axel hugging? No doubt the line to be rolled out shortly

A statement from the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) reads:

A Hamas terrorist cell was identified using an ambulance. In response, an IDF aircraft struck and neutralized the Hamas terrorists, who were operating within the ambulance.
We emphasize that this area in Gaza is a war zone.

And while I'm here

Reuters has verified a video showing bodies on a road south of Gaza City which is currently under a deadly siege by Israel.
A video in Gaza being shared on social media and verified by Reuters on Friday showed the bodies of at least seven people lying apparently dead on a road running south of Gaza City, which is currently under siege by Israeli forces.

It was taken by a man or boy cycling along the road and past the scene, speaking as he passed by and starting to cry. At one point another person cycling behind him was visible.

“God, a child. God, women. God, the girl. Please God protect our people. Please look,” the cyclist is heard saying in Arabic.

Thank you for writing to me to raise your concerns about the situation in Israel and Gaza.

Gaza is in a humanitarian emergency. Food and water are running out, leaving civilians starving and reduced to drinking contaminated filth. Hospitals are in crisis without medicines, fuel and electricity, leaving babies lying in incubators that could switch off at any moment. Not nearly enough aid or essential utilities is getting in.

Labour have been calling on the UK government to increase the UK’s humanitarian aid to Gaza by an extra £10 million, appoint a UK special coordinator for international aid to Gaza, the immediate deployment of British experts and medical support teams, as well as working with international partners to give UN agencies, such as UNRWA, the long-term resources they need.

We have also called for a coordinated Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) fund appeal with matched government funding to match the funds raised by generous donations from the public. This would help to provide the essential humanitarian aid that Gaza needs and to create a longer-term fund for the reconstruction of Gaza.

This aid needs to be delivered quickly, safely and at scale, that’s why along with our international partners, Labour supports humanitarian pauses to get aid and essential utilities to Palestinian civilians urgently. We have called for pauses in the fighting for these clear and specific humanitarian purposes, and this pause must start immediately. This is also the position shared by the EU and the US and is the only credible approach that has any chance of achieving what we want to see in Gaza - the urgent alleviation of Palestinian suffering, aid distributed quickly, and space to get hostages out.

A ceasefire on the other hand would freeze the conflict in the state it currently lies – this would leave Hamas with the infrastructure and capability to still carry out the sort of attack that occurred on October 7th and leave Hamas emboldened and able to start preparing for future violence.

Israel was the victim of terrorism on an unimaginable scale at the hands of Hamas. Israel has a right to defend itself, keep its people safe and bring the more than 200 hostages still being held captive in Gaza, home. Hamas must release all the hostages now. The international community must continue to apply diplomatic pressure.

Israel’s right to self defence is fundamental but it’s not a blank check. The supply of basic utilities – water, medicine, and energy – cannot be blocked by Israel. Israel’s operation can and must be conducted within international law. Civilians must not be targeted and innocent lives must be protected. There must be humanitarian corridors within Gaza. There must be proper protection for all those who work selflessly so aid can be delivered to victims. Palestinians forced to flee must not be permanently displaced.

Ultimately, we must move to the cessation of fighting as quickly as possible. The long-term security of Israel and justice for Palestine cannot be delivered by bombs and bullets. A political agreement however unlikely or painful is the only way to resolve this conflict once and for all.

For too long, we have talked about a two-state solution and the dignity and justice of a Palestinian state alongside a safe and secure Israel, without serious focus on making it happen. For too long, we have allowed welcome progress in improving relations between Israel and its neighbours to sit without any progress on the future for Palestine and its people. That must change. In the long term there can only be a political solution to this crisis, which is why Labour stands for a political path to a two-state solution.

This will mean engaging with Arab partners working on viable plans for a Palestine free from the terrorism of Hamas. Engaging with Israel to address its security concerns but showing clearly the settlement building is unacceptable, unlawful and has to stop. The Palestinians need to know there is a genuine will and determination from Israel, Arab partners and the West to finally address their plight in deeds as well as words.

Closer to home we must not allow these tragic events to divide our communities at home. The Community Safety Trust, Tell Mama and the police have reported a steep increase in antisemitism and Islamophobia. We denounce hate crime in the strongest terms. We expect to see a robust response to all incidents of hate associated with the conflict. There is no place in Britain for antisemitism or Islamophobia.

Thank you for raising your concerns with me and I will continue to monitor developments.

From my MP but guessing it's a Labour form letter. Meaningless but a local echo of the Starmer line of fluff. Guaranteed to piss of anyone who emails them expecting any sort of stand.

Back
Top Bottom