Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kemi Badenoch discussion

tbf you're cherry-picking a bit there to find someone you like. The general statement made about the specific organisation those colours represent is accurate enough. The WSPU as run by Sylvia's mum and sister was all the things IAF says it was. It specifically did not advocate for universal suffrage, for example. It wanted poor men and women kept off the electoral register.

Also relevant to note that the WSPU was not the mainstream of the women's suffrage movement. Far more people were involved with the self-described 'suffragists' led by Millicent Fawcett. Arguably Fawcett's movement was far more influential in producing change (and she didn't abandon the movement in order to shame young men into sending themselves off to war either).
Yes, I am indeed cherry picking, but that was in response to an over generalisation. Yes, the WSPU was pretty reactionary in many ways, but it had its revolutionary elements.

Yes, I am indeed cherry picking, but that was in response to an over generalisation. Yes, the WSPU was pretty reactionary in many ways, but it had its revolutionary elements.
We're necessarily talking broad strokes here when we refer to the symbolism of flags or colours. If someone displays the colours of the WSPU in their social media, are they demonstrating some kind of affiliation or kinship with (a) a revolutionary movement or (b) a reactionary movement? In this case, the answer clear. It is (b).

We're necessarily talking broad strokes here when we refer to the symbolism of flags or colours. If someone displays the colours of the WSPU in their social media, are they demonstrating some kind of affiliation or kinship with (a) a revolutionary movement or (b) a reactionary movement? In this case, the answer clear. It is (b).
Yes, agreed.

The white feather thing hasn't stopped, given how many Mumsnetters moan about how the younger generation are all cowardly woke snowflakes who wouldn't cope in a war. Makes me wonder why they aren't all eagerly joining the forces if they like war so much.
It's like the boomers moaning about national service , no boomer undertook national service the youngest men to undertake national service under the 1948 act were born in September 1939 , the rump of national service in the period 1957 / 59 to 63 was made up of men born before October 1939 who had applied for and recieved deferments on the basis of being in education or training and wanting to complete that before their service

Last edited:
The white feather thing hasn't stopped, given how many Mumsnetters moan about how the younger generation are all cowardly woke snowflakes who wouldn't cope in a war. Makes me wonder why they aren't all eagerly joining the forces if they like war so much.
Perhaps they see themselves as the vanguard of the culture wars?

(A guess on my part, know little about the site, never been there)

Back
Top Bottom