Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kemi Badenoch discussion

Badenoch is offering us a veritable cornucopia of MAGA political theory:

As succinctly explained by Badenoch herself in an introduction, politics is no longer about class in the old sense but more about belief-based splits that often result in more educated, urban voters aligning with the left.

Seemingly very close to Trump's "I love the poorly educated"

So in the 20th century people apparently had forgotten what up and down where?
TBH proving the adage about a stopped clock
The explanation for the triangles is actually relatively simple, even if the resulting policy prescriptions in the 40-page document are not so much.

The triangles seek to note a key difference between 20th- and 21st-century politics. With the first, the vertical divide stands for the traditional idea of affluent voters, nearer the top of the economic pile, leaning to the right, with poorer ones underneath favouring the left. The second triangle shows a new paradigm, based not on economic tiers but values.

But why, in the second triangle, the one split laterally, are “left” and “right” the wrong way round? A spokesperson for Badenoch was unable to provide an answer.

As succinctly explained by Badenoch herself in an introduction, politics is “no longer about class in the old sense” but more about belief-based splits that often result in more educated, urban voters aligning with the left.

Badenoch is offering us a veritable cornucopia of MAGA political theory:
That analysis goes well beyond MAGA, plenty of liberals made the same argument - see the EU referendum vote being aligned with formal education, break down of white voters into college educated and non-college educatedly pollsters

I see the BBC version of the maternity pay story includes:

According to Lord Michael Ashcroft's biography of Badenoch, she resigned instead of taking maternity leave as head of digital operations at the Spectator.

Do you also see that it does not mention the fact that at the time, in addition to being married to an investment banker, Kylie Badenoch was also a member of the London Assembly with an annual publicly funded salary of £56,269 p.a.?

Criticise her for being a vile hypocritical piece of shit. That's what she is. But you have a problem with her name? What kind of bullshit fucking politics is that? ffs.
I suggested at the start that the naming of this thread was suss and needed clarification. It's morphed into a quasi ".... time's up" thread without any reference to her background, only her gaffs and extremism. I agree on the general principle that starting a thread with her name in full speaks of barely disguised innuendo, though the contents of the thread have moved away from whatever the OP was trying to do.

Cancel it?. Nah question its original intent yes but leave the hall monitor cancel Culture stuff to houby, you're better than that

When people (like you) use bigotry -you get called out on it. I dont have the power to "cancel" anyone, not you, not Badenoch, not the OP - so 0/10 for that.

10/10 for me, though for (what is it you right wingers call it?) living rent free in your head, though.

Meanwhile Jenrick is creeping up.

Perhaps her opinions on maternity leave and Israel arent the winners shed like them to be.

Let's face it, we all knew exactly what they meant. But thread hasn't died, so it needs killing.
I'm not sure we will ever know exactly what urban75's leading drive-by poster meant. But given that they spend a certain amount of their time in the Brixton forum hinting that urban75 / Brixton Buzz is racist by omission, I think the intention might be different from what you suspect.

I'm sure I heard her on Sunday saying how immigrants should agree with British values, or words to that effect. This included toleration/acceptance of gay people. I never realised that was a particularly British value. I well recall growing up in a very British culture that was very intolerant of gay people, where purveyors of British values might just grudgingly not persecute all gay men, but little more than that. She also said how British it was to support the state of Israel. Wtf?

Yes I remember “gay” being a common insult into the early 00s! Weren’t there some Radio 1 presenters who got in trouble for using it? But they weren’t alone. Certainly something that has only changed for the better in the last decade or so.

on Ms Badenoch and trans rights

she has however met with the tufton street anti-trans so-called LGB alliance

she didn't vote on the question of gay marriage and has allegedly mocked the concept.

in relation to the original question, there are examples of tory candidates / MPs coming out with things that would be seen by many as racist if a white candidate said them -

for example.

is it political posturing to try and convince racist voters to vote for them? or something psychological about 'cosying up to the bullies' or trying to get acceptance from the establishment by 'being a good [minority]' not like that other lot (usually muslims) over there? i'm not sure i'm qualified to answer...

Who had 'using black people's full names is racist' on their card? 😅
In and of itself, it's not racist. But we have to look at the context. Using her full name when no other source, not even her own media, uses it; only including a photograph with obscure caption in the OP.

I can imagine the far right and other extremists using her full name to underline how "other" she is.

I'm sure I heard her on Sunday saying how immigrants should agree with British values, or words to that effect. This included toleration/acceptance of gay people. I never realised that was a particularly British value. I well recall growing up in a very British culture that was very intolerant of gay people, where purveyors of British values might just grudgingly not persecute all gay men, but little more than that.

This is generally something that the right suddenly takes an interest in only in the context of the supposed lack of tolerance shown by Muslims isn't it.

In and of itself, it's not racist. But we have to look at the context. Using her full name when no other source, not even her own media, uses it; only including a photograph with obscure caption in the OP.

I can imagine the far right and other extremists using her full name to underline how "other" she is.

I agree 100% that we should look at the context.

When Trump and his supporters refer to ex-President Obama, by his full name as "Barack Hussein Obama", they're clearly using a racist dog whistle, so let's look at the context of this thread.

When the OP referred to Badenoch by her full name, rather than the name she is generally known by, many of us found it suspicious, including me, but the OP chose not to explain why they had used her full name.

But when the OP adds a photo of Badenoch with her (white) husband and a Yoruba proverb which apparently translates as

"A sheep that moves with dogs will eat faeces and a dog that moves with goats will eat yam peelings .[Show me your friends...; we reflect the company we keep.]"

that increases my suspicions that there is a racist motive underneath it, and this is further reinforced now that the OP has begun to refer to her as
Kylie Badenoch

It is of course possible that there is another simple explanation for all of this which has nothing to do with racism, but without any further comment from the OP, the original suspicion of racism seems the most likely explanation.

isn't the OP black? I'd guessed they were suggesting she was a traitor to her black, african heritage.

We'll never know.

It stinks, though. And it's a particular shame, as the poster has - until this thread - been consistent in highlighting racism and hypocrisy. Which is essential and appreciated.

But disappointed that the poster felt this thread was necessary to make a point, without clarification.

Hope I'm wrong about this confusion.

isn't the OP black? I'd guessed they were suggesting she was a traitor to her black, african heritage.
The issue is without much further context or explanation we don't know. Typical liberal response from me, perhaps, to assume the worst, but the OP hasn't offered clarification.

The issue is without much further context or explanation we don't know. Typical liberal response from me, perhaps, to assume the worst, but the OP hasn't offered clarification.
Nor are they likely to. For what it's worth, my guess is Black nationalism with the likes of Badenoch seen as some sort of "race traitor". Of course, I may also be completely wrong.

There are posters, for whatever reasons, who don't or can't engage.

And that's usually fine. But when something like this flares up, it might be seen as helpful to engage, for matters of clarification. If nothing else.

After all, this is a community with many voices and it's especially nice when lurkers or shy persons have something to add and converse about.

Anyway - the thread can go on, whether or not it's liked, am bailing out for now, because it just feels like a waste of time. Partly my fault for circling back to the OP. Apologies.

Back
Top Bottom