Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Storm Eunice, 18th Feb 2022 - news and discussion

274198755_10157955748411307_8802478323288789152_n.jpg

It must be serious as here is our local (Tory :mad:) councillor pointing at things!!

View attachment 310926
Err, move it yourself you lazy wanker. Unless there is a tree attached to the end of the branch out of shot, just move it. (whether you are a Tory councillor or not)
If this is some political point about the lack of tree maintenance, which party has been in government for the last 10 years and have cut council budgets?

Err, move it yourself you lazy wanker. Unless there is a tree attached to the end of the branch out of shot, just move it. (whether you are a Tory councillor or not)
If this is some political point about the lack of tree maintenance, which party has been in government for the last 10 years and have cut council budgets?
It will be used politically but by opposition to the Tories who have just voted to build 2000 houses on the local golf course, which will mean cutting down any number of trees and disturbing the wildlife that live there!

It’s very tempting. But they don’t open until 11 or 12, the one in the village is as powerless as we are and going elsewhere in my current greasy state doesn’t seem as appealing as it was yesterday evening…

Don’t worry, though, kabbes-fans. I have put on the log burner and made a cup of tea by heating a pan on top of it. Low-level particulates be damned.

It must be serious as here is our local (Tory :mad:) councillor pointing at things!!

View attachment 310926
Why is he wearing a vis vest though? Does he think falling trees will be able to see him and swerve to avoid him? Does he think it will endear him to people who have to wear them for work, when his hasn't got a mark on it and has clearly only ever been donned for the odd photo opportunity?

Wanker.

If I’d taken photos during my walk yesterday of all the trees that had fallen over then this thread would be nothing but my photos of fallen trees. So many fallen trees!

Alright, that’s a bit overstating it. But there would be a least eight photos.

[Edited to change to eight trees because in retrospect, ten might be exaggerating.]

If I’d taken photos during my walk yesterday of all the trees that had fallen over then this thread would be nothing but my photos of fallen trees. So many fallen trees!

Alright, that’s a bit overstating it. But there would be a least ten photos.
And once you've seen one fallen tree, you've seen 'em all.

Cambridge was supposedly bypassed by Eunice...but the roof blew off a 2 storey garage block at the end of my street, loosening all the wall ties, so a 30 foot high brick wall just fell down. Several plants became uprooted in my garden and I lost another pane in the greenhouse. Grand-daughter and I stayed home, knitting. Sweetheart has driven to Norfolk to check out the wood.

[Edited to change to eight trees because in retrospect, ten might be exaggerating.]

This winter's storms have already destroyed approx 8million trees [before Dudley & Eunice] so I dread to think what the total is now.

I haven't yet been out to check around my patch & the neighbourhood. But I know Arwen & Barra brought down a lot of trees. Mostly because of the Northerly component.

I'm already planning some planting of replacements - both personally and by donations to the Woodland Trust - and probably the National Trust ... preferably mostly native broadleaves.
I commend the policy to m'learned friends here ...
e2a - In other words, ignore the jubilee planting of fancy imports but do some - a lot - anyway.

Last edited:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it photograph and post it on Twitter, does it make a sound has it really fallen?

Probably a wise idea to exercise caution around trees, roofs, etc over the coming days as more strong winds are expected and yesterday's storm will have weakened a lot of structures that it didn't immediately manage to blow over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom