Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

Brexit has cost Lambeth taxpayers around £200,000

I think that should probably say "Lambeth Council blame Brexit for cost increases" TBH.

Had Brexit really damaged your critical faculties so much that you're reduced to churning out this stuff unthinkingly?

Last edited:
I think that should probably say "Lambeth Council blame Brexit for cost increases" TBH.

Had Brexit really damaged your critical faculties so much that you're reduced to churning out this stuff unthinkingly?
I'm sorry that the news doesn't fit your political narrative, but insulting me won't change that.

“ James Reed, chairman of Reed, one of the UK's biggest recruitment sites, told Radio 4's PM programme that pay for jobs in hospitality and catering had gone up 18% on the jobs advertised on their sites, and 14% for all jobs paying £25,000 or less.
No wonder people have suggested that in a post-Brexit, post-Covid world, worker power is back.”

Tbh it's very likely these measures wouldn't have been needed if different decisions had been made at various times over the past 20 years around Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria abroad and responses to sept 11, 7/7 and so on here. The landscape of cities has changed from promoting a convivial atmosphere in public spaces to landscapes of defence. There was a post recently about a little kid in America who'd been at or near two shootings and said she always expected something to happen. To my mind bollards to prevent vehicle terrorist attacks are at least as sad be they these bollards or the barriers on London bridges or the walls on Whitehall: or the barriers outside parliament which divide MPs from the public they affect to serve. Millions upon millions has been spent on these measures - which only serve to emphasise how much politicians still have to do to make not only their foreign policies but domestic policies ethical. But under neither labour nor Tory parties have they ever really tried. Which is why vast sums are spent one things like this while everyone remains under siege.

Tbh it's very likely these measures wouldn't have been needed if different decisions had been made at various times over the past 20 years around Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria abroad and responses to sept 11, 7/7 and so on here. The landscape of cities has changed from promoting a convivial atmosphere in public spaces to landscapes of defence. There was a post recently about a little kid in America who'd been at or near two shootings and said she always expected something to happen. To my mind bollards to prevent vehicle terrorist attacks are at least as sad be they these bollards or the barriers on London bridges or the walls on Whitehall: or the barriers outside parliament which divide MPs from the public they affect to serve. Millions upon millions has been spent on these measures - which only serve to emphasise how much politicians still have to do to make not only their foreign policies but domestic policies ethical. But under neither labour nor Tory parties have they ever really tried. Which is why vast sums are spent one things like this while everyone remains under siege.
This is all true, but I think the immediate point of the story is supposed to be that the cost of the bollards has gone up. This has been blamed by Lambeth Council on the price going up as a result of Brexit., and this claim has been quoted as fact by editor without examination, presumably because it's "handy" and fits his anti-Brexit position.

It's almost as if projects like this have never been subject to cost rises prior to Brexit, or that those responsible have never looked around for ways to avoid taking any of the blame themselves...

This is all true, but I think the immediate point of the story is supposed to be that the cost of the bollards has gone up, and this has been blamed by Lambeth Council on the price going up as a result of Brexit., and this claim has been quoted as fact by editor without examination, presumably because it's "handy" and fits his anti-Brexit position.

It's almost as if projects like this have never been subject to cost rises prior to Brexit, or that those responsible have never looked around for ways to avoid taking any of the blame themselves...
Oh yeh on those levels you're quite right. But that these bollards were thought necessary in the first place is in large measure down to many many years of government policies

and on the other side no references to issues that were actually caused by Brexit :).
It's true, a few people are doing that.

But from my perspective it seems more common on these threads for Remainers to claim Brexit as the sole cause, and then get upset when asked to justify their claim.

It's true, a few people are doing that.

But from my perspective it seems more common on these threads for Remainers to claim Brexit as the sole cause, and then get upset when asked to justify their claim.
Ah but if you're a brexiter then you'll notice those more and not-notice those on the other side.

Eta and you won't notice other brexiters getting upset because you'll have some sympathy with their view.

I don't dress one side or the other and I have no clue which side is doing it more because that would normally need quite a thorough study of each issue.

This is all true, but I think the immediate point of the story is supposed to be that the cost of the bollards has gone up. This has been blamed by Lambeth Council on the price going up as a result of Brexit., and this claim has been quoted as fact by editor without examination, presumably because it's "handy" and fits his anti-Brexit position.

1. I didn't write the article
2. Lambeth themselves have blamed Brexit for the price rise

It's almost like you're so keen to defend Brexit that you'll try and blame others for bad news.

1. I didn't write the article
2. Lambeth themselves have blamed Brexit for the price rise

It's almost like you're so keen to defend Brexit that you'll try and blame others for bad news.
My whole point is that you appear to have accepted without question Lambeth's claim that Brexit is to blame for the price rise, I suspect because it handily fits your anti-Brexit narrative.

I'm not seeking to blame anyone for this cost increase, some of which may indeed be linked to Brexit, I'm questioning the motives of Lambeth Council in blaming Brexit, and criticising you for simply regurgitating those claims on this thread.

Do you normally accept the pronouncements of Lambeth Council without question, or do you ever attempt to look behind what they're saying and wonder why they're saying it?

My whole point is that you appear to have accepted without question Lambeth's claim that Brexit is to blame for the price rise, I suspect because it handily fits your anti-Brexit narrative.

I'm not seeking to blame anyone for this cost increase, some of which may indeed be linked to Brexit, I'm questioning the motives of Lambeth Council in blaming Brexit, and criticising you for simply regurgitating those claims on this thread.

Do you normally accept the pronouncements of Lambeth Council without question, or do you ever attempt to look behind what they're saying and wonder why they're saying it?
Oh, that sounds mysterious. Please elaborate on Lambeth's subterfuge and be sure to back it up with some proof rather than pro-Brexit bluster.

Meanwhile, here's proof of Brexit causing an increase in steel prices.

However, the future is unclear as the global picture remains fluid, the company added. Brexit and the introduction of the protocol have been challenging, particularly in relation to price rises for materials, demand and navigating customs.

Quotas introduced by both the European Union and the UK has led to an increase in prices over the last six months to the end of June.

Steel mills are experiencing higher raw material costs while demand is high, further pushing prices up.

Anyway I am sirpri
Oh, that sounds mysterious. Please elaborate on Lambeth's subterfuge and be sure to back it up with some proof rather than pro-Brexit bluster.

Meanwhile, here's proof of Brexit causing an increase in steel prices.

Right.so the world wide rise in the price of steel - proved by the link in my last post - is down to brexit. Glad we have that cleared up

Back
Top Bottom