Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Re: Intelligence failure I think it can be reasonably argued that Israeli society up until this point had become seriously divided over the constitutional reforms that Netenyahu and his far-right friends wished to push though. So much so that Netenhahu was heard to accuse members of the military as being compromised by the left. Netenhayu's personal motive for the reform is to protect himself from corruption charges. in any event this may well have led a combination of the leadership being unwilling to listen to the military and the military themselves taking their eye off the ball.

this article provides some useful background:

And this current article agues that Netenyahu is completely unsuitable to be in charge right now:

but we're not talking about the military. shin bet is not military intelligence. and presumably there are hundreds if not thousands of israeli intelligence collectors and analysts in a range of services tasked with monitoring hamas and the wider gaza strip, not to mention mossad looking at iran and lebanon among other places. for my money this was all collected but for a range of reasons - hamas operational security, a hamas deception operation involving a suggestion that this was something to do with the west bank rather than an invasion of israel, a failure to join the dots on collected information or whatever - nothing was done about it. the mail today says the zionists won't comment on the hamas videos until the war is over. but by that time i rather think larger events could crush that out of that news. but it's not just israeli intelligence. surely if mi6 or gchq or the nsa or cia had got wind of it through human sources or signal intelligence they'd have passed it on. as indeed the egyptians appear to have done.

This is what I don't get. Mention of the security fence, but absolutely no curiosity around as to what life might be like for those on the other side of it.
Do you real expect a lower life form like Hodge to care about Palestinians?

Some prime real estate, yesterday.

1697275729501.png

More than 1,300 buildings in the Gaza Strip have been destroyed during Israel's near week-long bombardment, the United Nations says.

The UN's humanitarian agency OCHA said "5,540 housing units" in those buildings were destroyed and nearly 3,750 more homes were so badly damaged they are uninhabitable.

350 Palestinians died in the last 24 hours with over 1000 injured.

Whatever happens next is the acquisition of some prime real beachside real estate which they've been after for generations. I don't know. Doesn't feel right.

So whatever happens, even a war and then IDF withdrawal, or long term military occupation? How does that work then with the beach huts plan? Time share with the Palestinians?

Prime real estate? You think there's some Israeli conspiracy to allow this to happen so they can invade and ethnically cleanse all of Gaza for some 20 miles or so of the beach?

And yes, you don't know.

How do you managed to squeeze so much bollocks into such a short space is pretty impressive!

Just come out and say it was the Jews behind it all again why don't you?

but we're not talking about the military. shin bet is not military intelligence. and presumably there are hundreds if not thousands of israeli intelligence collectors and analysts in a range of services tasked with monitoring hamas and the wider gaza strip, not to mention mossad looking at iran and lebanon among other places. for my money this was all collected but for a range of reasons - hamas operational security, a hamas deception operation involving a suggestion that this was something to do with the west bank rather than an invasion of israel, a failure to join the dots on collected information or whatever - nothing was done about it. the mail today says the zionists won't comment on the hamas videos until the war is over. but by that time i rather think larger events could crush that out of that news. but it's not just israeli intelligence. surely if mi6 or gchq or the nsa or cia had got wind of it through human sources or signal intelligence they'd have passed it on. as indeed the egyptians appear to have done.
I agree. It will likely turn out be a combination of a whole lot of things. I was attempting to describe a couple of aspects that I feel contributed towards this.

Reactions: LDC
99.9 % of the time it;s a cock up. Despite what they would have the world believe (and sadly what many on the left seem to sign up to bizarrely) the Israeli intelligence services or military aren't composed of super heroes. Just normal people who fuck up.

Bit like the CIA or GCHQ or any other organisation composed of people. It's a volume thing isn't it? Unlike in cop or spy programmes on the telly where there are only six characters and two story lines which turn out to intersect in the last episode. In the real world there are always a million moving parts of which 98% are not relevant. The trick is knowing the 2% that is before it's needed not afterwards. Apparently.

99.9 % of the time it;s a cock up. Despite what they would have the world believe (and sadly what many on the left seem to sign up to bizarrely) the Israeli intelligence services or military aren't composed of super heroes. Just normal people who fuck up.

Bit like the CIA or GCHQ or any other organisation composed of people. It's a volume thing isn't it? Unlike in cop or spy programmes on the telly where there are only six characters and two story lines which turn out to intersect in the last episode. In the real world there are always a million moving parts of which 98% are not relevant. The trick is knowing the 2% that is before it's needed not afterwards. Apparently.

Yes, a failure to spot the failure.

Bit like the CIA or GCHQ or any other organisation composed of people. It's a volume thing isn't it? Unlike in cop or spy programmes on the telly where there are only six characters and two story lines which turn out to intersect in the last episode. In the real worls there are always a million moving parts of which 98% are not relevant. The trick is lknowing the 2% that is before it's needed not afterwards. Apparently.
I don't know how hamas planned this obviously but Israel seems to have relied on hi-tech methods. Which are probably pretty easy to beat by going low-tech. Israel can intercept phone calls. So just use old fashioned techniques like writing things down and using dead drops. Speaking in inclosed spaces where you cannot be observed. Keeping information compartmentalised so only a few people how the whole picture of what is planned. I've even seen it suggested they deliberately feed false information on intercepted phone calls.

I'd caution against conspiracy theories, but even this CNN report is along the lines of 'what the fuck?'. At best Israeli intelligence seems significantly less competent than a 35 year old in his mom's basement with a Doge avatar and several bits of fella merch.

Always remembering that this is presumably the same intelligence service that is currently identifying exactly which buildings contain militants, with a few days notice, in the middle of a forced population displacement.

😂

I agree. It will likely turn out be a combination of a whole lot of things. I was attempting to describe a couple of aspects that I feel contributed towards this.
i agree that a lot of people have been talking about and indeed acting against the plans to protect netanyahu. but a) the planning for the hamas action will have started well before that, it's not just going to have been over the past six months; b) people go to work to do their job. someone whose work remit was, say, gaza won't have been suddenly spending all day at work looking at other stuff; c) sure, there will have been people at senior levels who may have been preoccupied with saving netanyahu, or opposing his machinations. but i would have thought that finding out about a planned raid on israel would have been just what the doctor ordered for netanyahu and his circle - suddenly an opportunity to change the narrative and perhaps say 'while you're all opposing me our enemies are working against us - we can't let our guard down, you're doing hamas' dirty work, you're either with me or against me'.

it's more likely that complacency and confidence in the barriers around gaza and the surveillance technologies along with hamas' deception by running the training events as a routine with nothing happening lulled the zionists into a false sense of security

I'd caution against conspiracy theories, but even this CNN report is along the lines of 'what the fuck?'. At best Israeli intelligence seems significantly less competent than a 35 year old in his mom's basement with a Doge avatar and several bits of fella merch.

Always remembering that this is presumably the same intelligence service that is currently identifying exactly which buildings contain militants, with a few days notice, in the middle of a forced population displacement.

IMO intelligence failure is plausible due to complacency and making assumptions, but you're right on point in saying that if their intelligence couldn't predict this how could it predict which buildings have militants in?

at least electricity down, according to multiple sources including isreaeli press.

palestinian prisoners club/society says water to the cells been cut as well:

background on palestinian prisoners from al jazeera:

& link to another support group, addameer 'conscience'

i agree that a lot of people have been talking about and indeed acting against the plans to protect netanyahu. but a) the planning for the hamas action will have started well before that, it's not just going to have been over the past six months; b) people go to work to do their job. someone whose work remit was, say, gaza won't have been suddenly spending all day at work looking at other stuff; c) sure, there will have been people at senior levels who may have been preoccupied with saving netanyahu, or opposing his machinations. but i would have thought that finding out about a planned raid on israel would have been just what the doctor ordered for netanyahu and his circle - suddenly an opportunity to change the narrative and perhaps say 'while you're all opposing me our enemies are working against us - we can't let our guard down, you're doing hamas' dirty work, you're either with me or against me'.

it's more likely that complacency and confidence in the barriers around gaza and the surveillance technologies along with hamas' deception by running the training events as a routine with nothing happening lulled the zionists into a false sense of security

I really do wonder about this - yes, its possible for intelligence to be missed or misinterpreted but it is rarely just one piece of information that comes in and any intelligence, has to be viewed in the context of wider events and the known capabilities of the thing they are concerned about.

In that respect given what they know about Hamas and what they were capable of, and what they knew was happening in the West Bank and Jerusalem, how was that area not on the highest level of alert? This is not as if terrorists came in from Jordan or somewhere quiescent, or landed on an airliner at Ben Gurion and took everyone completely by surprise - they came from the most militarized part of the territories that Israel has occupied and the one that has caused the most trouble for the occupier, a few days after the incident at al-Aqsa and with tensions boiling in the West Bank. Even if they had absolute confidence in the barrier you'd have expected it to be fully manned, with the rear positions on some sort of alert and with reserves nearby to assist.

Also it does worry me profoundly that your point about what the doctor might have ordered for Netanyahu and his circle (in terms of the political benefits of discovering a big raid in plan) seems pretty much to have happened after a big raid actually occurred. How much of Israeli society would have accepted this sort of thing without the attack happening?

Hamas have released a video showing sophisticated training involving paragliders, hog tying hostages, using RPGs on walls etc etc. Even mocked up kibbutzes which they raided. All within hundreds of metres of Israel. And their mighty intelligence services knew nothing about this? Something's not right.
CONSPIRALOON ALERT!
CONSPIRALOON ALERT!

Last edited:
I really do wonder about this - yes, its possible for intelligence to be missed or misinterpreted but it is rarely just one piece of information that comes in and any intelligence, has to be viewed in the context of wider events and the known capabilities of the thing they are concerned about.

In that respect given what they know about Hamas and what they were capable of, and what they knew was happening in the West Bank and Jerusalem, how was that area not on the highest level of alert? This is not as if terrorists came in from Jordan or somewhere quiescent, or landed on an airliner at Ben Gurion and took everyone completely by surprise - they came from the most militarized part of the territories that Israel has occupied and the one that has caused the most trouble for the occupier, a few days after the incident at al-Aqsa and with tensions boiling in the West Bank. Even if they had absolute confidence in the barrier you'd have expected it to be fully manned, with the rear positions on some sort of alert and with reserves nearby to assist....

It's simple - Israel decided that Gaza was going to say quiet, because they wanted Gaza to stay quiet - because they wanted to divert resources to the West Bank, and secondly because Hamas had got the measure or Israeli int gathering and fed it what it wanted to hear.

The first bit was by far the most important: Israel had decided that Hamas didn't want to go to war, so anything it saw in Gaza was not Hamas preparing for war.

For anyone with an interest in history, if you change the words Israel, Gaza, West Bank ,and Hamas to the UK, Falkland Islands, Europe and Argentina, you get an exact replica of what happened in 1980-1982...

Tm
CONSPIRALOON ALERT!
CONSPIRALOON ALERT!

hmm did you mean to link me in your conspiraloon alert post

don't think the idea of the Israeli army turning the north of gaza strip into a buffer zone for security reasons is that out landish

Back
Top Bottom