Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Yes. But you don't gain knowledge of zionist infrastructure and its weaknesses in a short period of time. You don't put together the amount of kit required or the training needed just like that. It's likely something no zionist 'red team' ever wargamed. hamas have proved themselves a far more formidable group than I ever anticipated, and I wonder what they'll do as a follow-up
Makes you wonder who's helping Palestine with intelligence.

We've already seen that article in agricola's 1432
I can't keep up with the thread tbh. How about having a go at all the ppl who are very obviously using phones and can't be bothered to scroll up to see what has been posted perviously eh? They subsequently repost stuff that has been already posted, it happens all the time, i go out to the pub and post this when I come back and because there are more than 1 pages to look through and i can't be arsed to look back it's so fast moving. Have a word with yourself.

I can't keep up with the thread tbh. How about having a go at all the ppl who are very obviously using phones and can't be bothered to scroll up to see what has been posted perviously eh? They subsequently repost stuff that has been already posted, it happens all the time, i go out to the pub and post this when I come back and because there are more than 1 pages to look through and i can't be arsed to look back it' so fast moving. Have a word with yourself.
If you return to a fast-moving thread after a while it's simple good sense to read through the intervening pages to make sure you're not reposting something already considered. So catch yourself on.

I can't keep up with the thread tbh. How about having a go at all the ppl who are very obviously using phones and can't be bothered to scroll up to see what has been posted perviously eh? They subsequently repost stuff that has been already posted, it happens all the time, i go out to the pub and post this when I come back and because there are more than 1 pages to look through and i can't be arsed to look back it's so fast moving. Have a word with yourself.
You’re not obligated too, it’s totally cool. Not everyone can read every single post…

If you return to a fast-moving thread after a while it's simple good sense to read through the intervening pages to make sure you're not reposting something already considered. So catch yourself on.
Nope, you catch yourself on for being completely uncalled-for pedantic when the entire forum is littered with duplicate links because ppl are mostly using phones and can't be bothered to scoll up.

Are the IDF seriously looking to occupy Gaza do you think ? could be a nightmare if they enter the city
i think they will go for a ground assault but going into a built up area which is largely destroyed must present a great difficulty to any invading force, even one as well equipped and trained for urban warfare as we must (e2a assume) the idf are. The subterranean aspect will be very difficult for them as many tunnels won't appear on any maps or in their intelligence. It would have been foolish for hamas not to consider this as a possible response and, likely having learned from the civil war in Syria as well as from freely available books (eg h John poole's phantom soldier not to mention what the Americans have published on subterranean warfare) they may be in for something of a shock - in particular if reservists become embroiled in the battle.

Last edited:
Nope, you catch yourself on for being completely uncalled-for pedantic when the entire forum is littered with duplicate links because ppl are mostly using phones and can't be bothered to scoll up.
I'm not being pedantic for pointing out the article has already been posted. Do you honestly think that's excessive attention to detail? And I'm suggesting you scroll down from where you left the thread, not up. Posting pissed isn't a good look either

Are the IDF seriously looking to occupy Gaza do you think ? could be a nightmare if they enter the city

I doubt they are looking to occupy Gaza in a pre-2005 style. I don't doubt they will make ground incursions into Gaza, probably with the intention of destroying particularly bits of the Hamas infrastructure - and let's be honest - kill lots of Hamas fighters who come out to oppose them, but I don't think the intention would be for that to be permanent. That's about not taking 'forever losses', and not tying down large swathes of the IDF's combat capability indefinitely.

I wouldn't be surprised of the Israeli's occupy some bits of the Gaza strip - possibly the border with Egypt, maybe the coast - in order to attempt to seal it more securely. Whether they'd want to do that for the longer term is tea leaves stuff.

It was interesting to watch BBC news this evening. What was striking to me was the sense of power asymmetry being reported but the opposite asymmetry to the reality. I don't doubt that the BBC were trying to be seen to be neutral but as always (it seems to me) they err on the side of the prevailing state opinion.

Nevertheless it was useful to see the reporting although of course some of it was shocking and upsetting (they warned in advance for explicit scenes).

I was surprised (or perhaps not) that there was no mention of Yousaf's description of his wife's family trapped in Gaza and suggestions of a humanitarian corridor.

i think they will go for a ground assault but going into a built up area which is largely destroyed must present a great difficulty to any invading force, even one as well equipped and trained for urban warfare as we must the idf are. The subterranean aspect will be very difficult for them as many tunnels won't appear on any maps or in their intelligence. It would have been foolish for hamas not to consider this as a possible response and, likely having learned from the civil war in Syria as well as from freely available books (eg h John poole's phantom soldier not to mention what the Americans have published on subterranean warfare) they may be in for something of a shock - in particular if reservists become embroiled in the battle.

Not to disagree, however such a scenario would likely take a long time to resolve, cause immense harm and destruction and destabilise the Isreali state and its government. Is that a reasonable assessment or have I missed something? Not to say it won't happen either. As you say throwing reservists in is risky. Proxy militaries may be waiting for their moment too.

I doubt they are looking to occupy Gaza in a pre-2005 style. I don't doubt they will make ground incursions into Gaza, probably with the intention of destroying particularly bits of the Hamas infrastructure - and let's be honest - kill lots of Hamas fighters who come out to oppose them, but I don't think the intention would be for that to be permanent. That's about not taking 'forever losses', and not tying down large swathes of the IDF's combat capability indefinitely.

I wouldn't be surprised of the Israeli's occupy some bits of the Gaza strip - possibly the border with Egypt, maybe the coast - in order to attempt to seal it more securely. Whether they'd want to do that for the longer term is tea leaves stuff.
The thing is that the zionists are blazing angry and that's never good if you're making important decisions. The zionist government has said all restraints are off. That'll lead to bad decisions being made. Discipline being lost. Putting to one side the way this will play out in Palestinian non-combatants being killed, it'll likely mean it'll be an idf riot. And I'd not be surprised if that means units losing their cohesion, their shape on the ground, and while they'll doubtless kill more hamas fighters than hamas will kill of them I reckon that there's a good chance the idf will sustain greater casualties than they would if cooler heads considered the matter dispassionately before committing forces

Back
Top Bottom