Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Sadly this thread has mostly become an echo chamber for the worst of Urban's non-critical thinkers. It's almost a mirror of the Daily Mail universe.

The U75 boards are interesting, but there is a propensity to this kind of uncritical posturing, normally it is held in balance, and is quite refreshing; but I think the true horror of what happened during the Hamas attacks on Israel and the decades long ongoing tragedy of Gaza and the recent Israeli actions mean that most of the 'grown-ups' on the boards (and that is people with a range of opinions across the issue, most of whom I don't agree with ) have basically given up on this thread over the last few days as it leaves a particularly bad taste in the mouth to engage in the style of debate normal on Urban in the face of such death and human suffering on an immense scale.
I guess this means you think of yourself as a critical thinker?

You have a go at me for not reading your posts properly.

When I put it to you in in yes or no you don't give a clear answer.

I'm asking what you think. Not what I want

I’m very much against violence, so a ceasefire sounds appealing. Edit: and there’s the matter of getting aid through, obv.

“Packing up and going home” isn’t high up on the list of effective strategies for dealing with hostage situations though tbf.

(That’s going back to thinking about feasibilities rather than me personally wanting the violence to stop tbf)

What are Hamas saying at the moment, by the way? I mean on the ceasefire front, not on the “extermination of all Jews” front.

Actually, I’d really be interested in what they are saying generally.

Last edited:
I suppose a point must be fast approaching when the absence of water food and power is going to overtake the vast shower of high explosives as the leading cause of ongoing deaths in Gaza?

Yes and every day the Israeli state wails on about being accused of murdering a few hundred people, they openly murder a few thousand more.

Whether they were involved in the hospital explosion or not it's worked out pretty well for them.

Yes and every day the Israeli state wails on about being accused of murdering a few hundred people, they openly murder a few thousand more.

Whether they were involved in the hospital explosion or not it's worked out pretty well for them.
not so sure that it is working out that well for them.Patients bombed in their hospital beds is a potent image and ,my guess is,not the one the Israeli Ministry of Propaganda want uppermost in the minds of a global public.Particularly when they need slack for a ground invasion likely to make what has happened to the people of Gaza thus far look somewhat like a picnic.

No it's not sus, the AJ live feed correlates with other video of the incident taken from different locations. Anyone who thinks it's all fake must be a conspiraloon.
Don't be silly. If an amazing exclusive video just turns up via a random Twitter account, with no way of checking it's authenticity, then you can't know it's authentic and you can't trust it.

Rolls eyes. I'm sure the residents would love it if were like the "meadows of Oxfordshire" too. Built-up area? One of the most densely populated places on Earth, often described as an open air prison. And who's responsible for that?

1697735694361.png

As previously posted in an interview, obviously the exchange rate isn't high enough for you yet. It's already several times the Israeli death count and on both sides mostly civilians.

What is your preferred exchange rate?

Most of them land in bits in Israel anyway, the Iron Dome system brings a lot of them down, interestingly I was reading an article that reckons Hamas can knock up a rocket for $300-$400 a pop, weld some tubes together and fill it with their home made rocket fuel which they make out of sugar and fertiliser. The missiles that the Iron Dome uses cost at least $20,000 each since they need loads of fancy gubbins like radar and groundlinks.
The clever bit of Iron Dome isn't plinking rockets out of the air. Patriot did that decades ago. The clever bit of Iron Dome is where it calculates the trajectory of everything coming in, works out where they're landing, and makes a decision which ones to intercept based on the likelihood of it hitting a residential building or shopping mall. It ends up ignoring 3/4s of them, because the bits of Israel in rocket range aren't that densely populated. So yes, it costs 100x the cost of a rocket to bring one down but the system is designed to save money as well as lives.

The clever bit of Iron Dome isn't plinking rockets out of the air. Patriot did that decades ago. The clever bit of Iron Dome is where it calculates the trajectory of everything coming in, works out where they're landing, and makes a decision which ones to intercept based on the likelihood of it hitting a residential building or shopping mall. It ends up ignoring 3/4s of them, because the bits of Israel in rocket range aren't that densely populated. So yes, it costs 100x the cost of a rocket to bring one down but the system is designed to save money as well as lives.

Interesting- didn’t know that.
Still quite a serious cost multiplier, but a lot less than it might have been.

How many more thousands of civilians should they kill before you think it might be time to stop?

Hardly fair. He said he wants the shooting to stop. Israel aren’t likely to whilst hostages are still held and no moves or indications, made to release them on the Hamas side.
All the handwringing isn’t going to change that.

How many more thousands of civilians should they kill before you think it might be time to stop?

As previously posted in an interview, obviously the exchange rate isn't high enough for you yet. It's already several times the Israeli death count and on both sides mostly civilians.
That misrepresents 8ball. There's been too much misrepresentation of other people's posts on this thread. Imo he chose not to answer the question quite in the spirit in which the question was intended - nobody here pretends we have any say in the matter. But he isn't advocating more killing.

Back
Top Bottom