Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

In other news -

Hamas says it has enough hostage soldiers to negotate release of all Palestinian prisoners

32 minutes ago

“Hamas has enough Israeli soldiers as hostages to negotiate the release of all Palestinian prisoners in Israel, a top official with the group announced on Thursday.
Former Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal, who heads Hamas' diaspora office, made the remarks during an exclusive interview to Saudi channel Al Arabiya TV.
Meshaal had earlier said that Hamas' Israeli captives included high-ranking officers from theGaza Division.”

Last edited:
Plus Macron is visiting tomorrow no doubt trying to flog some gear they no longer have any use for in the Sahel.
“French citizens killed in Hamas attack rises to 28
7 hours ago
The number of French citizens killed by Hamas attacks on Israeli communities has risen to 28, according to the French foreign ministry.
Seven others remain unaccounted for, the ministry added.”

nitter link for anyone who can't see full context:

https://nitter.net/videospacegames/status/1715083357917253679

alt text below

Instagram 'Sincerely Apologizes' For Inserting 'Terrorist' Into Palestinian Bio Translations

The "see translation" feature for user bios was auto-translating phrases that included "Palestinian" and "alhamdulillah" into "Praise be to god, Palestinian terrorists are fighting for their freedom."

Oct 19 2023 7:11 PM UTC

Original article on 404 media is only partly readable to non-members.

Very lucid and balanced former RAF pilot, now military advisor, on the BBC now who knows the weaponry in use and the lay of the land in Gaza explaining how there's 0% chance this was an Israeli strike. The crater just doesn't fit at all with Israeli weaponry. And the footage speaks for itself as well. I don't think you need to be a a military expert to see that the missile is ascending, not descending moments before the hospital goes up in flames.

Can't believe I'm defending the IDF but that's that.

Clearly it is a strategic decision to support Israel and avoid any criticism of Israeli actions. A foolish one imo, one that can only serve to perpetuate the cycle of violence. It probably has something to do with a Great Game that I don't understand. Or maybe I understand all too well the consequences of such power struggles for ordinary people?
One thing is that somewhere down the line, this is going to increase the chances of terror attacks in the UK or on Brits abroad. That might not be a reason for governments to take or not take difficult decisions, but when deciding to support a murderous assault for the sake of craven positioning...

Very lucid and balanced former RAF pilot, now military advisor, on the BBC now who knows the weaponry in use and the lay of the land in Gaza explaining how there's 0% chance this was an Israeli strike. The crater just doesn't fit at all with Israeli weaponry. And the footage speaks for itself as well. I don't think you need to be a a military expert to see that the missile is ascending, not descending moments before the hospital goes up in flames.

I can believe you're defending them: who are you kidding exactly?

I'll answer your question, which is that I am in favour of an immediate ceasefire.

But let me ask you one in return - do you really think that what any of us posting here say about a ceasefire makes one iota of difference?

Because the unfortunate reality is that Israel, for a whole host of reasons including the support they're getting from many/most world leaders etc, aren't going to call a ceasefire or anything approaching one for the foreseeable future.

I quite agree.

I asked to try to move away from endless posts on the hospital deaths.

Also a ceasefire has been called for by head of UN for humanitarian reasons. Brazil tried to get adopted a resolution for a pause for UN humanitarian aid. Various peace groups are calling for a ceasefire for same reasons. The Arab group in UN have called for a ceasefire. So its been in the news.

Seemed to me something that can be agreed on by people even if they have different views on the conflict. Its not even that radical a proposal.

Given what has been seen over last few days. And today.

Not calling for a ceasefire now is saying imo that one is giving the ok for state of Israel to continue collective punishment of Gaza. Id call it a line in the sand.

At the very least our mainstream politicians could support a ceasefire.

Is this one of those RAF pilots who was out bombing unarmed civilians in Iraq?

Mindset/propaganda watch. Clive Myrie stumbled on the BBC News at Six by saying 'all the world leaders have come, they have expressed their support for Israel' when handing to Jeremy Bowen to give an update.

Not sure if he got shouted at in his ear but when talking to camera as they later moved away from Bowen, he said 'a number of world leaders has, as we've been saying, come to Israel in recent days to pledge their support, and crucially affirm the nations right to defend itself but'(.......blah blah aid for petrified people in Gaza fig leaf etc etc).

I’m very much against violence, so a ceasefire sounds appealing. Edit: and there’s the matter of getting aid through, obv.

“Packing up and going home” isn’t high up on the list of effective strategies for dealing with hostage situations though tbf.

(That’s going back to thinking about feasibilities rather than me personally wanting the violence to stop tbf)

A ceasefire isn't about packing up and going home.

I personally don't think the collective punishment of the civilians of Gaza should be a strategy to get hostages back. Why? Because its a war crime.

Isreal has every right to defend itself as all states do. But in a manner that is proportionate. The bombing of Gaza isn't.

A ceasefire is not the end of this conflict its at best a pause for humanitarian reasons.

Latest from the very good and brave Israeli human rights organisation

Area C of West Bank is the area not under PA but under military. Settlers have intensified harassment and attack on villages and farms. With military standing by.

The climate of fear is forcing whole Palestinian families to leave. With Hamas attack this has got a lot worse. Families leaving have their land taken from them. This is a form of ethnic cleansing.

Its got worse but this has been going on for years. With the present right wing government doing nothing to stop it.

Over the years the international community have sat back and done nothing of substance to stop it.

This unlawful policy constitutes forcible transfer of residents in an occupied territory. Such transfer is prohibited under any circumstance by international law, which Israel is obligated – and has undertaken – to respect. The fact that soldiers are not physically forcing residents out of their homes is irrelevant: creating a coercive environment that leaves residents no choice but to forsake their homes is enough.

These communities have been left to their fate with no one to protect them. Any attempt they make at self-defense is met with violence by soldiers and settlers. Given the circumstances, the international community is obligated to use its leverage to stop the forcible transfer of these residents and put a stop to the violence against them.

Last edited:

you catch a name random former RAF pilot proves its not the IDF

is about as convincing as posting a twitter link

:hmm:

Latest from the very good and brave Israeli human rights organisation

Area C of West Bank is the area not under PA but under military. Settlers have intensified harassment and attack on villages and farms. With military standing by.

The climate of fear is forcing whole Palestinian families to leave. With Hamas attack this has got a lot worse. Families leaving have their land taken from them. This is a form of ethnic cleansing.

Its got worse but this has been going on for years. With the present right wing government doing nothing to stop it.

Over the years the international community have sat back and done nothing of substance to stop it.
Even before the Hamas attack Israeli military commanders have used the word Pogrom to describe some settler's actions.
There are cases where the military has done more than stand by (ETA as discussed in btselem link). There are instances of them allowing settlers to attack Palestinians but when Palestinians have defended themselves tear gassed them.

Israeli journalist on Newsnight saying there is a likelihood that Hamas will release hostages with dual citizenship, after the ground invasion.

why after the invasion? :hmm:

we going to bomb the shite out of the area and attack it with tanks

but blame hamas for any death of hostages

odd that it might happen at 8pm est tonight

why would they not

us has already given them the support and no other country is going to apply any serious force to block it

from pass projections about 5000 dead citizens of gaze and the north of gaza being lost might stop it

after a few dozen western people have been shot reporting on it

Back
Top Bottom