Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK gas/electricity supply shortages this winter

I suspect that ironically in the near future it will be wealthy people with electric cars who may profit by acting as storage on the system ...
At my level of usage, solar is possibly of borderline benefit - let alone battery backup ...

Rising prices is one thing, that's to be expected, although profiteering should still be resisted, as in the "Don't Pay" campaign.

But if some bunch of overpaid pointy-heads take it upon themselves to start dictating how and when I use the energy that I already pay too much money for, well that's when I start becoming more interested in how to circumvent that kind of dystopian bullshit. Doubt I'm the only one. I'm sure that the whey-faced cunts in charge of this kind of nonsense will use all kinds of arm-twisting tricks to get people to comply, but then they've always been like that. Fuck 'em.
I believe it makes complete sense for us to collectively live in a way that spreads demand out, stops it being concentrated into such intense peak periods. And I believe many people will go along with all sorts of things that enable that, they wont see it as dystopian, rather they will see the grid collapsing due to some peoples stubbornness as dystopian.

But then I also believe that it makes sense for all sorts of things to be public, owned collectively, and not operated for profit.

And I also believe it would have been sensible to start the energy treansition much earlier, and to put much more effort into doing more stuff in parallel rather than the timetables being all out of whack. eg we should have been figuring out how to do energy storage at great scale in parallel with the amount of wind generation we were building. But that didnt happen, and now there will be a very long awkward period where storage is lagging very far behind, stopping us from smoothing out the supply side of the picture.

If we had all of those things in our world, rather than just the first one, then it would be easier for people to appreciate a genuine sense of fairness, to take ownership of the never ending story of change and progress. And not to have their sense of reality dominated by suspicions about the agendas of disgusting profiteers, top-down deciders and nerds and experts of planning and implementation.

The BBC managed to find a few people who reckon they will earn £10+ from yesterdays efforts, though they do point out that this depends on your supplier and on normally using rather a lot of electricity during the peak.

Octopus certainly seem to pass more of the money on to their customers than some others, and were offering even more for todays period than they did yesterday.

That article also makes brief mention that people with smart meters whose provider hasnt let them join a scheme, can still do so via Loop:

The interconnector picture was certainly a bit messy this week. I think things were tight on the continent so we didnt get the level of imports we'd been getting for much of this month. On one day the National Grid had to impose emergency constraints on how much we were exporting via interconnectors.

There was also a period where commercial flows through the IFA1 interconnector with France were affected by testing that was taking place as part of finally restoring the full 2GW capacity to that interconnector. It looks like that went well since I believe the full capacity has been restored and officially available since 11PM yesterday. And this evening the UK data does seem to show 1966MW being imported via that interconnector. That will be the first time the full capacity of that interconnector has been available since it was affected by a fire in September 2021. It was down completely for just over a month, then for well over a year 1GW was available. For a period in January 1500MW was available, then back down to 1GW, now fully restored. These amounts dont sound huge in the grand scheme of things but do matter when it comes to balancing things at peak times, especially when the London and the South Easts hefty needs at at stake.

Someone on twitter said that another problem happened this week due to a broken line near Stevenage, but I dont know them or whether that info is publicly available in detail anywhere. This would have been an issue because again the needs of London and the South require a lot of electricity to be transmitted there from Scotland and the North of England, and when bottlenecks get worse due to such transmission network failures things can get a bit tricky.

There was a Demand Flexibility service period again this morning, and they might do one tomorrow evening too. But these are test ones to meet their commitment to offer at least 12 of those over the course of this winter, rather than being down to tight margins.

Here is a Times article I have now found about the incident that required emergency interconnector assistance one day last week:

Britain was forced to ask Europe for emergency assistance to keep the lights on in southeast England yesterday, in the latest scare for the energy system.

Hundreds of thousands of homes could have been at risk of blackouts if National Grid had not secured extra power by making last-minute requests for help over subsea cables to the Continent, analysts said.

Exports to France were reduced early in the afternoon after the first “emergency assistance” requests, and imports from the Netherlands were then increased after subsequent requests, according to analysts interpreting National Grid data. The company indicated that a fault on the network in southern England was to blame for the scare, which passed without incident after the requests were met.

There is indeed another demand flexibility service 'test' period this evening, but only 20MW worth of savings bids have been accepted for it, with the likes of Octopus not taking part in this one.

On paper tomorrow has been looking a bit tight, so they've asked two of the backup coal power statrions to warm up, and might announce a Demand Flexibility Service thing later.

Quite a lot of talk on French radio about how people are (re-?)warming to nuclear as a necessary stepping stone to decarbonisation ...
And I watched a short documentary about Germany's reliance on Russian coal and gas - somehow I'd forgotten that East Germany was once almost part of the Soviet Union. :facepalm:

France is so hugely reliant on nuclear in the first place that they were always going to have to do something about that, even if there were no climate-related energy transition, given that their fleet has now reached an age where its got reliability issues. And its ability to export spare power from its overly large nuclear fleet is an important part of balancing the system in other countries including the UK. But they've left it very late to start the renewal of the sector, and have suffered the same delays with new build reactors of the EPR design as seen elsewhere, so the situation is going to be a bit tricky for years to come.

And one of the things I've learnt from watching UK select committee meetings about new nuclear is that in addition to the other issues, the sector will be in competition with so many other areas for the required civil engineering skills and capacity to build. There are challenges with maintaining sufficient nuclear-specific skills too, so countries like UK and France have to provide certainty about the sectors future in order to get new young people to take that career path.

No matter how much wind etc capacity countries like the UK and France install, to abandon nuclear at this point rather than build another generation of reactors would require two things: progress with energy storage on a very large scale, a mission that should have been started in earnest a long time ago in order for the timing to comfortably work. And there is also a military issue, countries with nuclear submarines tend to require a healthy domestic nuclear power scene to support and effectively subsidise the military nuclear skills and logistics. If there is no honest conversation about that, and no alternative military path offered, then I dont expect those governments to actually abandon nuclear power, though its obviously not going to be presented to the public in that way.

Taking this sort of stuff into account, it seems to me that over many years our governments never set themselves up for the abandonment of nuclear power to be a realistic proposition in this era. They delayed all sorts of difficult decisions for so long that there will be trouble and some timescale problems that might leave large gaps in the system for prolonged periods. But now we are moving into a period where conditions are ripe for them to press on in a slightly more convincing manner, and they have found a bunch of new ways to sell the proposition to the public.

So for countries like UK and France, I dont think there is really much uncertainty about whether nuclear will persist for the next generation. The big uncertainty will remain for some time a question of scale. For example even if our governments commit to a very large nuclear programme that is supposed to provide quite a large chunk of future electricity generation capacity, it will take ages to find out whether that ultimately comes to pass. One scenario is that we will commit to a lot, but the delivery schedule will keep falling behind. And then at some stage if there is great progress with non-nuclear stuff, very much including storage at huge scale, there will be a big reappraisal which will allow them to significantly shrink their nuclear ambitions, give them a realistic pathway to either phase out or at least phase down nuclear, relegating it to a far more minor role. Public opinion is only one part of this equation, and probably wont get to have the casting vote unless the other pieces fall into place, so we'll be treated to plenty of manufacturing of consent in the meantime. Likewise the economic arguments for nuclear have never really been able to stand on their own merits, other factors are propping them up, and this may become even more obvious as we move forwards. If that happens then the national security arguments will still be left standing, at least unless energy security when the wind doesnt blow can be secured by other means, and the military situation changes.

Last edited:
I'd somehow forgotten about the French submarine fleet - even though I have ambitions to live potentially only a few km from where some of them are parked ...

In theory you could still have military uses of nuclear even if nuclear power stations were no longer a thing, but the costs would need to be accounted for more directly. And the entire atomic age has involved plenty of convenient conflation between these two worlds. And the powers that be like it that way, it provides all sorts of cover and 'operational security', obscures exact costs, and the skills, expert personnel and infrastructure overlaps make things more practical. This could be untangled if they had to, but some awkward questions and debates might pop up that they would rather not have if they can help it.

I'm not actually familiar with the detail of how France handles that stuff, I often just fall back on the generalisation that its easier for countries that dont use nuclear militarily to decide to abandon civil nuclear power if they want to.

The new nuclear era, if everything goes according to plan, actually involves some crossover in the other direction. For example some of Rolls Royces small modular reactor plans are a spin-off from their submarine reactor work, and this was mentioned by at least one witness in the select committee meetings. But the actual technical details of this are only available publicly in a vague way, due to the classified nature of much of the prior submarine reactor work. Plenty of stuff was alluded to by select committee witnesses but there were definite limits as to how far they were really going to explore such things in the committee. Some things were taken as an inevitability, and the committee has been mostly concerning itself with various practical considerations rather than genuinely exploring whether it makes sense to keep investing in nuclear power at scale.

Last edited:
There were Demand Flexibility Service test periods on Monday and again this evening.

Meanwhile it looks like a combination of UK nuclear reactors being offline for refuelling, and being offline for other reasons, has led in recent days to a lower amount of nuclear generation than I've ever seen in the numbers before. I havent looked into whats happened yet, it was just the raw overall generation figures per half hour that leapt out at me. wouldnt be surprised if its the lowest number for any period since the 1970's or first years of the 1980's. Though it might not be so easy to find out exactly.

Looks like its down to the refuelling periods of 5 reactors ending up overlapping, and an unplanned event at Hartlepool 1 which they are having to ramp down then switch it off to fix a steam leak.

The BBC did report on the long-planned shutdown for refuelling and maintenance of Sizewell B yesterday:

Last edited:
A bunch of nuclear reactors came back since my last post, so output is no longer at such a low level.

The gas issues which prompted me to start this thread did not end up being a factor this winter, but instead we have seen that even without such problems, we are into an era when things get a bit tight when the wind doesnt blow, especially when its also cold and when there are issues with imports.

Since the weather has gone wintry again and there isnt a huge amount of wind, the system warnings page has stopped being dull and has lit up with stuff they are doing to try to maintain suitable margins. Lack of imports from France may also be contributing to this (strikes there, and a reduction in available nuclear power), and possibly other uk plant failures that I dont keep an eye on.

Recent system warning entries:

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 12.47.53.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 03.57.03.jpg

From System Warnings | BMRS

They decided not to do a live demand flexibility service requirement period tomorrow. And they stood down the system margin notice. But I think they went ahead with firing up 2 coal-fired backup power stations and syncing them to the grid.

They decided not to do a live demand flexibility service requirement period tomorrow. And they stood down the system margin notice. But I think they went ahead with firing up 2 coal-fired backup power stations and syncing them to the grid.
Yeah, West Burton was synced this afternoon and I think Drax[coal] has been put on notice to "warm up" but was "stood down" later.

e2a - gridwatch says that the open cycle gas station is running ...

oh, and it is dammed cold here in SW Northumberlnd !

Last edited:
Not bothering with the latter in the summer it seems:

Yeah the Demand Flexibility Service was setup on that occasion to run for a defined period. They came out with some numbers in May and called it a success, with plans to evolve the scheme for use next winter too. Most of the times they used it last winter were as part of the trial guaranteed minimum number of occasiosn they promised to use it to incentivise supplier to sign up, and only two of the occasions it was used were defined as real live events (though some of the test periods did coincide with genuinely tight periods too). I've not heard talk of using it at other times but if there were persistent issues during other seasons they could always decide to expand it, potentially at fairly short notice.

As for the coal-fired standby plants, it does mildly annoy me that the wording of press reports might create the impression that at other times we arent using any coal for electricity generation at all. In fact I think there are some coal plants which are not part of the standby system that are also used quite often without any press attention these days. So some generation from coal has tended to be almost ever-present in the figures since I started looking at them last year.

Last edited:
Strangely, EDF have at least one coal-fired station - I think it gets used to "balance" demand when the nukes are re-fueling / other excess demand.

In terms of what generation is currently down, I'm only just having a look now.

So far I see 4 of our remaining nuclear power stations are off. One for refuelling, one listed as being a statutory outage, one 'Automatically tripped on generator protection' and one 'Automatically tripped following a grid event'. I'll see if I can learn any more about those.

Strangely, EDF have at least one coal-fired station - I think it gets used to "balance" demand when the nukes are re-fueling / other excess demand.

If it was West Burton A then it closed permanently after being kept on standby last winter.

(EDF head said it couldnt be used as backup again next winter (further delaying its planned retirement) for safety reasons: EDF Says Aging UK Coal Plant Must Retire Before Winter )

Drax also suggested that it wouldnt be viable to have theirs available next winter either: EDF and Drax both reject the idea of extending the use of coal power units - Energy Live News

The Norway interconnector fault has reduced it to half capacity.

But I note that the Norwegian side had already previously decided to reduce operations to below the max capacity because they werent happy with how it had been operating unevenly:

According to Statnett, limitations on the UK side have over time shown that the allocated capacity has been higher from Norway to the UK than from the UK to Norway.

“Exchange of electricity cross-border is important for Norway. That was especially underlined during the pressed situation in the Norwegian power supply during 2022, when hydro reservoirs in Southern Norway were running low,” said Statnett CEO Hilde Tonne.

“To ensure optimal utilization of the interconnectors, a good balance between capacity for import and export is essential. To ensure this, we are now setting the capacity to equal that of our British partners.”

The move comes following a recent letter from the Norwegian Ministry of Oil and Energy that specified that the Government License should be interpreted in a way that capacity should be set with an objective of balanced capacity in both directions over time.

“Cross-border cooperation is essential in the development of a fully renewable energy system. Such cooperation needs to be based on balance and symmetry. Our aim is to ensure maximum capacity on all connections, in order to facilitate optimal utilization of power resources. We are working closely with the UK system operator to make sure that solutions are put in place to facilitate this,” Tonne stated.

I also note that Norway rejected a licence application for a proposed new Norway-Scotland interconnector:

UK has rellied on interconnectors and market-based ideology to try to make the numbers add up. So these sorts of stories might have long term implications.

The whole of Europe needs more interconnectors for the transition to renewables. The problem implementing that is different national grids all managed differently, including the politics of it.

As for the coal-fired standby plants, it does mildly annoy me that the wording of press reports might create the impression that at other times we arent using any coal for electricity generation at all. In fact I think there are some coal plants which are not part of the standby system that are also used quite often without any press attention these days. So some generation from coal has tended to be almost ever-present in the figures since I started looking at them last year.

Correction: Some of the data I was looking at combined coal figures with biofuel figures. So my comment about 'almost ever-present' was true for periods such as most fo the 1st quarter this year, but not the 2nd quarter. There are still odd occasions beyond winter when coal generation is used that dont feature in that sort of press report though.

The whole of Europe needs more interconnectors for the transition to renewables. The problem implementing that is different national grids all managed differently, including the politics of it.

Yes they are an important part of that system and have been in the plans for many years.

The problems are not just to do with different types of management and politics. Problems include the impact of bottlenecks in various locations within countries own internal grids, and all sorts of other stuff I wont go on about now.

In terms of the main theme of this thread and electricity grid resilience and balancing, these interconnectors are reaally useful. There are all sorts of occasions where they do what was intended. The most obvious problematic scenario is when multiple countries all expereince tightness of supply at the same time, and thats when market based stuff, politics, etc really gets tested and tensions can rise. So in certain scenarios the interconnectors cannot be assumed to be able to get a country out of a pickle when it needs them most, while in other scenarios they come to our rescue in a most satisfactory manner, without causing tensions with other nations.

The noises from national grid etc have been more reassuring for this winter compared to last.

What the actually reality will be will depend on all the usual factors, some of which cannot be predicted. If the shit ever hits the fan it will likely be due to combinations of multiple things going wrong at a time of high demand, and there is no way I would try to predict such things far in advance.

The situation with Frances nuclear power this time around is certainly better. They've got about 10GW more nuclear available at this point in November than they had this time last year for a start, with more scheduled to come back in the coming weeks. This can affect the UK picture due to our use of interconnectors.

The situation with UK interconnectors is also a bit better - more capacity between UK and France is available since the one that suffered from a fire returned to full capacity ages ago, and a new one to/from Denmark is also due to be entering the testing & commissioning phase (I havent checked if theyve done any test flows yet but it now shows up as a column in some UK data and official commercial operation could start in January).

We've got a few less coal power stations than we had last winter.

I'm not totally up to date with all events on the generation, interconnector and transmission side of things so its always possible there could be some issues that affect the picture I've painted that I'm not aware of yet.

The Demand Flexibility Service isnt going away. Indeed I just looked for the first time in ages and it seems that the first 'test' DFS period of this season was activated today, between 5pm and 6.30pm.

Last edited:
A national grid ESO article about that Demand Flexibility Service event (I am obviously late posting it):

They've also launched a game people can play that involves balancing the grid. I doubt I'll have time to try it.

Back
Top Bottom