Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thread to note supply shortages in the shops

Yeah, you guys in the UK are gonna have to accept that 50p for a pepper is fantasy land prices.

1pepper is what, between 150 and 250 grams depending on size. So you're looking at anywhere between 4 to 7 peppers for a kg.

That's between £2 and £3.50 per kilo.

Supermarkets here charge £4 as a minimum, and that's within the EU.

So you're probably being sent the shit that's semi rotten, on the turn stuff that has to be sorted through for that price with loads being chucked out on arrival, or the UK is just not profitable to sell to so don't get produce in the first place.

Them prices are fantasy. Especially with where the pound is against the Euro.

Yeah, you guys in the UK are gonna have to accept that 50p for a pepper is fantasy land prices.

1pepper is what, between 150 and 250 grams depending on size. So you're looking at anywhere between 4 to 7 peppers for a kg.

That's between £2 and £3.50 per kilo.

Supermarkets here charge £4 as a minimum, and that's within the EU.

So you're probably being sent the shit that's semi rotten, on the turn stuff that has to be sorted through for that price with loads being chucked out on arrival, or the UK is just not profitable to sell to so don't get produce in the first place.

Them prices are fantasy. Especially with where the pound is against the Euro.

You're up and about talking bollocks again earlier than expected.

Just looking at prices in Germany. Used a supermarket with a delivery service. Berlin location:

Screenshot_2023-03-05-13-08-27-483_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-05-13-08-59-367_com.android.chrome.jpg

I mean, you can all convince yourself it's all bollocks, but we all know how UK supermarkets operate, they really do squeeze suppliers on prices.

Just looking at prices in Germany. Used a supermarket with a delivery service. Berlin location:

View attachment 365562

View attachment 365563

I mean, you can all convince yourself it's all bollocks, but we all know how UK supermarkets operate, they really do squeeze suppliers on prices.
yep. For some reason we’ve got a different and much stupider supermarket buying system than over there. How that came about idk but it needs to change now.
This made sense to me:

yep. For some reason we’ve got a different and much stupider supermarket buying system than over there. How that came about idk but it needs to change now.
This made sense to me:

Thanks for that article bimble. Agree with you that the system is stupid.

It was only after moving away that I realised just how fucked up shopping habits are in the UK, in particular Supermarkets from top (procurement) to bottom (customer attitudes)

Will read the article with interest.

Ok so I read the article.

It's quite funny - the "food tsar" basically saying what I am. I recommend the government employs me as food tsar. I will do it for a quarter of the price.

It does seem like the supermarkets will have to choose between offering cheapness and actually having stock, but having said that I’ve been in the local Waitrose 3 times now hoping to find those posh tomatoes for growing from their seeds and every time they’ve had none at all not the posh ones or any others.

This has been an oncoming problem for the last decade plus and basically anyone who paid attention could see it, problem is it's just not in ministers' interests to encourage food price fluctuations unless or until food shortages get to the sort of active crisis levels that threaten social instability. We are in crisis inasmuch as food prices have risen extremely quickly across a raft of products and vast numbers of people have moved into serious poverty brackets. But that's not in a way that means middle class people are going hungry yet, and the poor don't matter to Westminster. So they'll keep colluding in upstream squeezing wherever possible.

They'd rather that people who don't matter can't eat than be the ones, come election time, who oversaw middle class people having to tighten their belts.

UK Milk has got to be next for the crunch, years of being sold at a loss (or thereabouts - definite hard squeeze) and now with CAP payments disappearing...not the kind of thing that makes any sense importing.

It does seem like the supermarkets will have to choose between offering cheapness and actually having stock, but having said that I’ve been in the local Waitrose 3 times now hoping to find those posh tomatoes for growing from their seeds and every time they’ve had none at all not the posh ones or any others.

Do you want me to send you some seed from Poland? Serious question.

this relentless focus on forcing down the price paid for food tsars will just inevitably lead to shortages of them years down the line
forcing down prices is forcing farmers out of business.

The most recent official figures show that over the past year the cost of a pint of milk has risen by 7p to 49p – a 17% increase. However, the price of milk in shops last year was lower than in 2012, even though production costs have increased.

i see this as a good thing, cows terrible for the environment, milk production basically cow torture, oats grow easily in the UK, oat milk the future

Do you want me to send you some seed from Poland? Serious question.
ah thank you, but i am holding out, its not like there aren't any tomatoes in england at all, I could go to borough market if i was deperate for instance, but i want those particular ones like i grew last year.

Back
Top Bottom