Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK gas/electricity supply shortages this winter

Imports are up to 14.8% of current demand, fingers crossed that that can continue.

For clues about that I do things like look at a nice electricity data website for France that includes a section on the import/export trades that have been done in advance for the day.

So for example when the yellow area of the graph on this page goes below the white 0 line, it indicates that France is going to be exporting to us during those periods rather than the other way around:

I only tried this for France so far, I havent looked for similar trading data with the other countries with which we share interconnectors.

Last edited:
I may as well talk about France a bit more now given I just mentioned the relevant website for this data. I am envious of how easy that particular website makes it to see all sorts of data stretching back over time for France.

And it still blows my mind the extent to which their demand goes up in winter (due to the way their energy, home heating etc system is arranged in France, making very heavy use of electricity). It makes the seasonal changes in the UK seem modest by comparison. Here for example is what demand has looked like in France since the start of November, a giant increase in the number of MW required now compared to early November.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 12.33.52.png

Its quite impressive that they've managed to cope with this given their nuclear power situation. They have been relying quite a lot on imports, and the amount of hydropower they have for dealing with peak demand periods helps quite a bit too. All the same its been quite a challenge and they've gotten away with it so far. Look at any one source of power there and it still seems surprising they've managed it, but combined together they've clearly managed it so far, their new website & app that warns the public of the need to save power to avoid blackouts at particular times hasnt had to issue any warnings yet.

The nuclear restarts they've managed so far have given them more MW added back to the system in December so far than they managed in the whole of November. Since the start of November they've got over 10,000MW of nuclear back (just over 4,000 of which was managed by the end of November), but as you can see from that demand chart, demand has increased by so much more than that over the same period.

And this is what Frances generation mix looks like since the start of November (ignore the numbers below the source labels since they only relate to the period where the green vertical bar can be placed with the mouse ont he live website):

Similar to what I showed with UK graphs yesterday, we can see that when their wind generation falls to crap levels, imports tend to make up the difference. But in terms of proportions, nuclear for them is more like gas for us.

This chart can also further illuminate the solar situation we talked about yesterday that tends to be missing from my uk graphs, all the little solar bumps for France are present on this chart in orange.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 12.50.27.png

Taken from this page (you can click-drag across date ranges in the popup calendar obtained when clicking on the date in order to get a graph like the above one):

And this is what Frances generation mix looks like since the start of November (ignore the numbers below the source labels since they only relate to the period where the green vertical bar can be placed with the mouse ont he live website):

Similar to what I showed with UK graphs yesterday, we can see that when their wind generation falls to crap levels, imports tend to make up the difference. But in terms of proportions, nuclear for them is more like gas for us.

View attachment 355437

Taken from this page (you can click-drag across date ranges in the popup calendar obtained when clicking on the date in order to get a graph like the above one):

Interesting and as you say solar's not doing much now, even in relatively sunnier France.

Interesting and as you say solar's not doing much now, even in relatively sunnier France.

Inside this spoiler tag is the same chart for France but for last July and a chunk of August:

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 13.02.19.png

If I fished out a chart for the likes of Germany instead then solar may look even more impressive due to their huge installed capacity. But then again it might still look more modest when put on charts like these with all other generation sources because Germany makes use of a really huge amount of electricity.

Last edited:
Fucking hell ^^. :mad:

I see across the grid they are now paying £1650 per MWh, that was about £250 when I looked first thing this morning.

Fucking hell ^^. :mad:

I see across the grid they are now paying £1650 per MWh, that was about £250 when I looked first thing this morning.

Yeah. I guess thats the blue line on the price chart that is part of that dashboard I linked to in previous message. I suppose the 'day ahead' price offers clues in advance about when and how high it could go at peak:

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 14.34.08.png

Might get away with it today.

By the way it turns out that both the coal station warming up notices, and the later cancellation of those things, show up on the system warnings page. Thats the same page that also shows things like the Demand Flexibility Service notices, market capacity notices etc so I've been looking at it as part of my routine these days, though its been pretty barren and dull this month right up until yesterday:

High offer accepted - Rye House accepted at £4000/MWh

I see that even higher offers have been accepted from the same plant - one for £4500 and then two for £5000.

Location of the power plant may be a factor in hwo much they are prepared to pay, since its not just a question of having enough power overall, but also being able to get it to where it is needed. For example I think there were a few days during this summers heatwave where things got very tight in parts of the south east. And this plant is about 18 miles north of London.

I see that even higher offers have been accepted from the same plant - one for £4500 and then two for £5000.

Location of the power plant may be a factor in hwo much they are prepared to pay, since its not just a question of having enough power overall, but also being able to get it to where it is needed. For example I think there were a few days during this summers heatwave where things got very tight in parts of the south east. And this plant is about 18 miles north of London.
So does distance from a power plant have a quite significant effect on how much of its energy can be made use of? I've always wondered about this ...

So does distance from a power plant have a quite significant effect on how much of its energy can be made use of? I've always wondered about this ...
Yes. Iirc something like 25% of power generated is lost in the distribution system. :eek: :(

Well I'm not completely sure of how to interpret that question. Please feel free to expand on it or put it another way or give asn example of a scenario you were getting at.

There is much that I have yet to learn about the transmission network. I only have a broad, simplified overview in mind.In that respect what I was referring to yesterday involves the need not just to manage overall supply and demand, but also getting the right amount of power to the locations that need it.

There are issues to do with loss of power over the transmission networks, but I was focussing less on those and more on the overall picture of some very large flows of electricity between certain regions of this country. And that there will be some bottlenecks where the amount of transmission capacity from one particular area to another may not have as much spare capacity wiggle room as they would like. The extent of the bottlenecks also vary over time, eg problems I referred to in the summer heatwave were exasperated by heat affecting how much power could flow through the wires. And it takes plenty of time, effort and money to build the required infrastructure to expand capacity. Certainly the realities of the grid come up in various contexts, eg when I've been watching select committee meetings about the future of nuclear in this country, it is sometimes mentioned that one of the reasons they are locating new nuclear plants in locations that had nuclear int he past is that some existing grid transmission wires are already there, though the capacity they offer may still not perfectly match what the new nuclear power station can deliver, requiring new wires to be added. Likewise when some nuclear companies talk about the future, sometimes they start going on about putting some new plants where old coal plants used to be, because there are left over connections to the grid in those places. And the location of renewable generation compared to the historical location of major power plants does have to be factored into their future planning too.

Perhaps I will be able to provide some very broad examples of regional flows later to illustrate these points at the highest level. But this story can also be told all the way down the transmission chains, capacity considerations are relevant down to every high voltage wire and every major substation. There are even maps available so that companies can get a sense of what spare capacity each primary substation serving a particular area has, but I am in no way able to interpret the data they offer properly.

Here are some quotes from an old 2012 paper I just randomly found when doing a quick search so that I could augment this post with some examples. Note that when it comes to London, the interconnectors with mainland europe were a prominent part of the story even back then. When I brought this topic up in regards the price a particular power station not far from London was able to charge for generation yesterday, I did so with this sort of picture in mind. By the way, I think that plant also got a couple of £6000 per MWh bids accepted after my previous posts yesterday.

The circuits between Scotland and England are already operating at their maximum capability. Under all the generation scenarios considered, the transfers from Scotland to England increase significantly. Reinforcements identified to relieve the boundary restrictions across these circuits result in power transfers on the Upper North network of the England and Wales transmission system exceeding network capability. South of the Upper North boundary the increased power flows south from Scotland and North West of England progressively diminish as they are offset by the closure and displacement of existing conventional generation along the way. Accordingly, while there are transmission overloads in northern England the effects are greatly muted as the flows travel towards the Midlands.

Offshore wind generation connecting in England and Wales, together with the potential connection of new nuclear power stations raises a number of regional connection issues; particularly in North Wales, South West England and along the English East Coast between the Humber and East Anglia. The anticipated increased power transfers across the North to Midlands boundary and/or the increased generation off the East Coast and/or Thames Estuary would also result in severe overloading of the northern transmission circuits securing London.

London is the largest demand centre in the UK and a large proportion of electricity generated nationally flows into the city from the adjacent regions. Regionally the only significant generation is focused in the lower Thames Estuary where there are large coal, oil and gas- fired stations generation support is provided by units further away, such as the nuclear power stations to the East of London. Demand can also be met through the existing interconnectors to France and the Netherlands. Consequently, the demand in London is predominantly met by transmission connections from remote generation sources. The area is particularly sensitive to changes from the existing interconnectors to Europe. The commissioning of the Belgium-England interconnector (NEMO) coupled with the existing interconnectors to mainland Europe could potentially swing flows from 5GW import to 5GW export depending upon market conditions and generation/demand balance in the UK and Europe.

From https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/48275/4264-ensg-summary.pdf

Today I learnt about an additional method for reducing demand that they would try to use to get a little bit of wiggle room under emergency conditions, before having to take the more drastic step of starting to cut customers off.

They have long had a mechanism in place where they can order the electricity distribution companies to reduce the voltage by a few percent. I am under the impression that they ask each distribution company to test at least once a year their ability to activate this. There is some uncertainty about exactly how much power a certain percentage voltage drop should actually achieve, probably because appliances vary in wherther the amount of energy they draw scales linearly to voltage, and how this picture may have changed as the decades have gone by.

I saw the following system message today and established that NGED is National Grid Electricity Distribution, who bought Western Power Distributions UK business and inherited the 4 areas in this country where Western Power had the distribution rights - the South West, West Midlands, East Midlands and South Wales. I am in the midlands so I figured I might be able to see signs of this voltage reduction during the test period. I fished out my my plugin meter used to measure power consumption of appliances and sure enough, the voltage it was showing went as low as 223.6V while I was watching, at around 12.20pm to 12.30pm, compared to the sort of figure it normally shows of well into the 230-something range. I suppose I cannot be too sure of myself in this regard though because I dont have a long history of staring at the voltage readings provided by this meter. I had a look at it a few times while writing this post, now that we are well beyond the voltage reduction test period, but are into the period of peak daily demand, and saw the voltage readings go from as low as 230.0V up to 234.6V. I dont have knowledge about how accurate or inaccurate this meter is.

From: Power System Manager - National Grid Electricity Control Centre NATIONAL GRID NOTIFICATION - DEMAND CONTROL BY VR TEST. There will be a short duration localised voltage control test initiated within NGED DNOs area due to commence at 11:30. It is anticipated demand will reduce by approximately 70 MW and will be fully restored by 13:00. Notification Issued at 11:10 hours on 13/12/2022. Issued by Brendan Lyons National Grid Electricity National Control Centre.

Last edited:
Another example to fit into the regional flows stuff from earlier. Here is a story from July about how nearly £10,000 MWh was paid for a 1 hour period on a particular day so that London could get the electricity it needed from the Belgium interconnector.

Article was published July 25th:

Last week, unbeknown to many outside the power industry, parts of London came remarkably close to a blackout — even as it was recovering from the hottest day in British history. On July 20, surging electricity demand collided with a bottleneck in the grid, leaving the eastern part of the British capital briefly short of power. Only by paying a record high £9,724.54 (about $11,685) per megawatt hour — more than 5,000% higher than the typical price — did the UK avoid homes and businesses going dark. That was the nosebleed cost to persuade Belgium to crank up aging electricity plants to send energy across the English Channel.

And that sort of London angle should hopefully make it clear why I've been focussing on the state of Frances nuclear so much.

I dont fully understand how to consume all of the market data in regards the interconnectors and cross border trading, but apparently things were very tight in France for a time the other day and they were desperate for imports from us. I am not going to pretend I understand all the jargon in these sorts of tweets, I just get the general idea:

Other examples of stuff of interest from that twitter account in recent days:

You can't make an omelette without breaking legs.

Or something like that.

Prior to this cold snap, the UK didn't seem to be using less gas than normal, compared to a 30%+ reduction on the continent:

Yeah, I cant say I've noticed any really obvious decrease in electricity use via data either. Maybe there is something in there somewhere that can be picked up on by people with a better grasp of all the data than me, but if there is a difference it certainly doesnt look large.

Ah in regards electricity there is this in the Drax report which that twitter thread made use of:

Similarly, Britain’s electricity consumption was reported as being 6% lower in 2022 than during the previous five years. Despite sounding like a strong response to the cost-of- living crisis, this actually does not suggest that households and businesses are behaving differently than in previous years. Electricity demand has fallen steadily by 1.5‒1.9% per year since the start of the last decade, and this year is no different (see below).

One possible version of the future is that we and Europe manage to avoid a crisis this winter, but face a much steeper challenge next winter. If that turns out to be the case, something really needs to change in this country over the next year.

And now for some public information films from the past.

By the way that Drax report also covers a bunch of stuff related to our discussion the other day about transmission between different parts of the country. Too much for me to quote in full but here are quite a few chunks of it:
The government is looking at whether to let wholesale electricity prices vary across the country. This is one part of the Review of Electricity Market Arrangements (REMA) that was discussed in last quarter’s Electric Insights. At present there is a single price for electricity across the country in each half-hour trading period, regardless of where it comes from or where it is consumed. Changing this could make the system more efficient, but it would create winners and losers.
With the nationwide wholesale prices we have in Britain, generators don’t have these incentives and National Grid must pay them separately to change their behaviour to keep the transmission system operating within safe limits. This increases the overall cost of the system: balancing actions now add £7.50/MWh to the wholesale cost of electricity, in excess of £2 billion per year (see figure below). As Britain progresses towards net-zero electricity, more renewable generation located far from demand will increase flows on the transmission system, and hence the risk of these costly constraints.

National Grid charges generators for using the transmission system, and varies this cost around the country to reflect how much they would have to spend to upgrade the network in each area. These charges do not capture day-to-day changes in constraints and their impact on costs, so while they might help guide investment to the right places, they don’t help to make operations more efficient.

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 15.21.18.png

While the DNOs are required to have tariffs that don’t discriminate between urban and rural customers, National Grid is obliged to make its charges cost reflective. It estimates how much extra investment would be needed to connect a new generator in each part of the country. With electricity usually flowing from the North of Scotland to the South of England, new power stations in the north would require expensive investment, while those in the south would save money (see figure, below right). The Torness nuclear station near Edinburgh pays about £20/kW per year to use the system, while Sizewell B in Suffolk pays only about £2/kW. On the current tariff, Hinkley Point C in Somerset would be paid about £5/kW, although its arrival on the system is likely to affect the calculations.

The reverse is true for electricity consumers. More demand in the north of Scotland would reduce National Grid’s costs, just as extra demand in London would increase them. Taking transmission and distribution charges together, the average household pays around £200 per year for getting electricity from the generators to their plug sockets, about 5% of current bills. There are plenty of options available for making electricity prices better reflect the different costs faced around the country. There are pros and cons to having more or less variation, but with bills being so high, any reforms which could change how much people pay will be the subject of intense debate.

Demand falls over the Christmas period so there is probably a sense that they have dodged the prospects of an emergency in December.

When the National Grid did their winter forecast, one of their modelled scenarios showed the tightest period happening in December through to part of January, with a period of respite over Christmas, and the timing of low wind meant that so far this has been broadly in tune with what actually happened. But their scenario where all of the wiggle room was eaten up over that time and the shit hit the fan involved greatly restricted imports due to the likes of Frances nuclear woes, and so far we dodged that and imports still happened when we needed them. We can probably thanks things like Frances capacity to have hydro respond during peak times, and the imports France has managed to get from other countries, for that. The other doom scenario they modelled, for a time period we havent had yet, involves gas shortages in January leading to a massive drop in gas generation for a time. If that doesnt happen and there is no combination of other unforseen circumstances leading to a similar result, then we'll probably get away with this winter without any big impact on energy users. Attention will then start to move towards the subsequent winter, where past reporting implied the concerns about how Europe will fare have been far more acute than they were for this current winter. Thats probably because Europe did so well at filling up its gas reserves this time, but there are concerns about its prospects of repeating that feat given loss of gas pipelines imports and the amount of gas left in storage once the current winter ends. If LNG imports coupled with lower consumption can bridge the gap to a meaningful extent, and the weather isnt too unkind, then maybe they could get away with it again next winter too, much too early to tell.

In regards Frances nuclear situation, they havent quite reached a point where I can breathe a full sigh of relief, but they've got much closer to that point recently. The amount of reactor restarts they managed to achieve in the first few weeks of November added to my concern, as did the number of restart dates that werte pushed back, but they've done very much better in the weeks that have followed. When I started looking in early November, on paper they planned to get 18GW of nuclear back over November and December, with about two thirds of that happening in November. That didnt happen, they got well behind, but due to progress in December they've now got about 11GW back. And they may get a few GW more back by the end of December. That will still leave them approximately a month behind what they had on paper, but I dont think they expected that plan to match what would actually happen in the first place. Especially considering the restart plans had already been massively revised downwards a number of times in prior months, long before we even got to November and the version of the plan I looked at in detail. What has actually been achieved hasnt given France as much wiggle room as they would have wanted to cope with Decembers weather, but so far it looks like its been 'just enough', and it did feature successes that had been absent all year prior. When their government announced a system for alerting users when they needed to reduce consumption urgently. much of their focus was on January as being the main phase of danger. In the last couple of weeks confidence has increased there that they will avoid that fate, but like I said, I'd like to see a bit more nuclear wiggle room created before I can reach a state of relative complacency.

Last edited:
Another demand flexibility service test period is taking place on Wednesday between 5.30-6.30pm.

Unlike the last several of these, this one doesnt coincide with a period where the supply-demand balance is expected to be tight. There is plenty of wind power at the moment, which makes a huge difference to the overall picture. They are probably just doing this one because they promised that there would be a certain number of these for people to take advantage of over winter.

I've now settled on a format for the graphs of one set of generation by fuel type data that I look at. We can see that the amount of wind available and the recent reduction in demand, which will be mostly weather related but will soon lead into a period of additional reduced demand due to Christmas holidays, has made rather a large difference to the amount of gas we are having to use for electricity generation in recent days. I'm including a second graph showing gas, coal etc on their own to make the trends shown for those power stations even more obvious.

December so far:

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 18.23.50.png

Last edited:
I think I missed mentioning a further demand flexibility service period in December, soon after the last one I mentioned, which was again done to help meet their commitment to offer a certain number of these this winter, as opposed to needing it for tight supply reasons.

In France a combination of how many nuclear reactors they got back on, very favourable weather conditions and much lower demand over the Christmas-New Year period meant that they actually ended up switching off a bunch of reactors during that period since there was a hefty supply surplus.

Favourable wind picture has continued and has meant there isnt much to report from a UK perspective at this time. The sense of danger this winter has diminished.

Here is what the picture ended up looking like in December, with the latter part of December offering a prolonged opportunity to use much less gas. Although as per a previous discussion about how some of our renewable capacity is 'embedded' within the system in a way that means it doesnt show up in this particular generation data, a report about a new wind record having been broken at the end of December implies that a number of GW of our wind capacity doesnt show up in the data I'm using for this chart.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 16.02.16.png

A BBC report about wind generation in 2022, which also mentions that December record moment:

On a single day in November, more than 70% of electricity was produced by wind, or around 20GW. That's enough power to heat about 1700 homes for a year.

That record was again broken on 30 December when 20.918GW was generated by wind turbines.

For some sense of how much wind is missing from the data I use: On December 30th the maximum amount of wind generation shown for any period that day in the data I use was about 16.9GW, so 4GW was missing from that picture.

Back
Top Bottom