Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japanese attitudes towards immigration vs UK

It's funny to me that apparently for some people, when the subject of "British culture" is mentioned, the hoary old examples of bowler hats, Morris dancing, pie & mash, etc tend to be brought up.
I was joking when I mentioned pie and mash, but it was because burtabraham was keen on saying his culture had been stolen but couldn’t give specifics so I fell back on facetiousness.

I’ve just been looking this up and listening to various versions; I never realised it was so well known; used to sing it with a friend at school ❤️
The Corries, who were never off the telly in Scotland in the early 70s, used to do it. We had theirs and the Luke Kelly version in our house.

The Corries, who were never off the telly in Scotland in the early 70s, used to do it. We had theirs and the Luke Kelly version in our house.
Yeah, I’ve only thought of it as a girls or women’s song rather than a man’s song, funny either way of course. I remember using it as the background song in Miss Julie in something at college, maybe not very well thought out
Lovely to be reminded of it thank you, I’ve been in a bit of a folk music bubble for the last hour

I don't have time to check all the words but interestingly the the alphabet itself is of Roman origin and if you go to Rome you'll see it on some statues that were carved round about 2000 years ago.

Apparently it was an actual different language though called 'Latin' or something, so it seems they didnt use English at all believe it or not! All a bit above my head tbf

To be fair he did say the alphabet not the language.

Although (as you probably know) ours in not strictly the roman one and the Romans don't have ownership on the letter forms which are.... Phoenician I think?

If we were really committed to the premise of cultural preservation we should be writing all this in oghams (though even that will have been a development from something before). Or to really keep it trad brit, not writing at all and just singing to each other through the mist.

Btw saké is nicer than mead. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom