Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japanese attitudes towards immigration vs UK

What us trad british ir Japanese culture? Who represents it or is allowed to partake?
What makes a people indigenous?

What are the benefits if a stagnant culture?
Has there ever been one?
The only one I know of was the Aborigine culture of Australia which must have lasted for thousands of years until the Europeans arrived and fucked it up.

Kiss me quick hats and faded saucy postcards, echoes of the music hall and vaudeville tradition vie with the strains of elvis in his vegas years as teddy boys who have the guts of elvis in his vegas years tap out rothman royals onto the the pub carpet- the threadbare one with the garish patterns that hide a thousand sins. Cigarette machines and belisha beacons, jumpers for goalposts, the shipping forecast. All these things will be lost, like tears in rain etc
You just need some poetic line breaks

Kiss me quick hats and faded saucy postcards,
echoes of the music hall and vaudeville tradition
vie with the strains
of elvis in his vegas years
as teddy boys who have the guts
of elvis in his vegas years
tap out rothman royals onto the the pub carpet
the threadbare one with the garish patterns
that hide a thousand sins.
cigarette machines and belisha beacons,
jumpers for goalposts,
the shipping forecast.

All these things will be lost,
like tears in rain.

Be interesting to transport these bemoaners of lost British culture back to some community anywhere on the island three or four hundred years ago and see what they had in common with them. A hundred years ago would already look very different, and different to that earlier too.

We still use fax machines as well. It's not the end of the world in comparison to other problems in the country (as described on the Wtf, Japan?
thread)
Oh yeah. I think my wife has only just stopped using them. Always seemed insane when it's litteraly a scanned document that is then printed out. I assume there was something official considered about the time and caller number stamps.

Also see money. It was only after covid that I noticed shopping with cards was more widely accepted.

Yes, you're clearly stuck in the '50s.

Do you feel your culture is threatened?

I’m of dual heritage. I have no connection to the one side of my family, and on the British side we’re continually told that it doesn’t exist, or that everything we have was stolen from other cultures.

So yes, I feel my culture is threatened, or more accurately, I feel like I’ve never had one in the first place. And this is the problem I have with the left - it never preserves; it only ever deconstructs.

Oh yeah. I think my wife has only just stopped using them. Always seemed insane when it's litteraly a scanned document that is then printed out. I assume there was something official considered about the time and caller number stamps.

Also see money. It was only after covid that I noticed shopping with cards was more widely accepted.
Explanation I got way back when was that since addresses are so hokey or absent people sent each other maps so they could find their house but that would presumably no longer be necessary now sending images is so easy or even map locations.

Explanation I got way back when was that since addresses are so hokey or absent people sent each other maps so they could find their house but that would presumably no longer be necessary now sending images is so easy or even map locations.
Surely that would not have been needed as soon as email became a thing.

But blow me yes. Japanese addresses. I wish I'd had Google maps (and Google translate) 25 years ago.

I’m of dual heritage. I have no connection to the one side of my family, and on the British side we’re continually told that it doesn’t exist, or that everything we have was stolen from other cultures.

So yes, I feel my culture is threatened, or more accurately, I feel like I’ve never had one in the first place. And this is the problem I have with the left - it never preserves; it only ever deconstructs.

Do you feel you're dying out/being replaced/being genocided?

My sense of self
You're projecting your personal problems onto ghosts and shadows and blaming it onto a mythical "left".

The modern world is complicated from an identity point of view, sure.
Ive been reading about the history of medieval farming. You knew where you were then, and not in a good way. Born into a job on a farm, no chance of leaving the village, work till you die. It was simple though. The modern world is infinitely better on that score, trust me.

Its capitalism that has broken the certainty of all those old cultural binds, not "the left". Marx wrote about it best in the famous "all thats solid melts into air" bit. Its also imperial-capitalism that has accelerated the cultural mix in the world. See the British Empire for one of a million examples.

Overall despite the destruction of veracious capitalism, on that score its a massive silver lining. Cultural life of the past was a prison, with no room for escape. Again in the good old days they literally rounded up "vagrants" and killed them - good luck trying to get out of the circumstances you were born into then.

It's still hanging on for now, but in 50 years time there will be no traditional British culture. Maybe you're right though. Who cares about sentimental things like history, culture, and identity? Fuck the British. Fuck the Japanese. Right?
To be honest I really don't care if British culture withers. Oh shit, no morris dancers, or fucking rank pie and mash. Pretty much everything I like about British culture has been imported from elsewhere.

The only one I know of was the Aborigine culture of Australia which must have lasted for thousands of years until the Europeans arrived and fucked it up.
They do less harm to the planet.
There may or may not be an Amazon tribe or two that still haven't met a white man.

I would question the inherent assumption that isolated and/or less material cultures, such as those of the Amazon or aboriginal Australia, are necessarily stagnant. Just because cultural changes weren't recorded in writing or in architecture doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Oral stories passed down over generations were almost certainly embellished and adapted as they passed through history.

“What even is an aboriginal Australian anyway?”

Actually a fair question, you know. The pre-colonial peoples of Australia weren't some homogenous mass.

I’ve not moved on from anything

Yes, that's the problem. You seem to think that cultures are somehow static and fragile things, rather than enduring and adaptive like the people who create them.

It's still hanging on for now, but in 50 years time there will be no traditional British culture. Maybe you're right though. Who cares about sentimental things like history, culture, and identity? Fuck the British. Fuck the Japanese. Right?
No it won't.

Are you blaming immigrants, Americanisation/globalisation, or both?

Back
Top Bottom