Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thread to note supply shortages in the shops

Yup. Ye old "free range" scam. What is the law, must be allowed access outside for one hour a day or some bollocks? Meanwhile people see the word free range and assume that the hens live solely in a field.
From the RSPCA:
Free-range eggs have come from birds that, during the daytime, enjoy unlimited access to outdoor pastures.

At night, free-range hens are housed in barns which keep them safe. This also allows them to express normal behaviour with perches for roosting and a maximum of nine hens per square meter of usable inside space. For free-range hens, the maximum flock size on an RSPCA Assured farm is 16,000 birds.

Free-range hens must be provided with litter to allow the hens to perform natural behaviours, and which covers at least one-third of the floor surface.

I have a particular fondness for a specific non-mcvities brand of ginger biscuits.

Just managed to stock up again, after a severe drought of my favourites.
[had been reduced to mcvities, which I don't like as much, as the recipe is different]

Shades of the disaster when the Carrs plant in Carlisle was flooded ... it took some six months or more before the ginger biscuit oven was rebuilt ...

I have a particular fondness for a specific non-mcvities brand of ginger biscuits.

[had been reduced to mcvities, which I don't like as much, as the recipe is different]

Shades of the disaster when the Carrs plant in Carlisle was flooded ... it took some six months or more before the ginger biscuit oven was rebuilt ...
I wanted some ASDA ginger biscuits the other day- the stock on the shelves for cheaper biscuits was seriously depleted. Think there were plenty of Borders etc.....

I have no idea what those biscuits are but that usage of the blue badge IS against rhe rules of usage.
e2a: having thought better about it, I was probably wrong above as this seem to be a conversation about supermarket parking where actual blue badge usage rules are not relevant but only observed as a courtesy rule.
apologies for this.

I have no idea what those biscuits are but that usage of the blue badge IS against rhe rules of usage.
e2a: having thought better about it, I was probably wrong above as this seem to be a conversation about supermarket parking where actual blue badge usage rules are not relevant but only observed as a courtesy rule.
apologies for this.
It was the 'fondness for a specific biscuit' that brought this to mind not the blue badge bit but you are right.

Not the orange ones though just the minty ones. :D

Feels like a lot of places don't sell own brand these days. Find it hard to find generic head and shoulders at the various big name pharmacies and my local Tesco has a tiny cereal aisle mostly with brand names only

Feels like a lot of places don't sell own brand these days. Find it hard to find generic head and shoulders at the various big name pharmacies and my local Tesco has a tiny cereal aisle mostly with brand names only
I do wonder if some suppliers bribe retailers not to supply own brand equivalents of their products, whether it forms part of price negotiations. Happened for quite a while with the big old school supermarkets and now the newer discount places like Aldi seem to be playing along (e.g. nowhere does Dairylea knock-offs anymore, used to get tubs of own brand stuff for less than half the cost). Don’t know if that’s a monopoly abuse somehow? All hits you in the pocket.

Think that this, at least partially, depends on how the manufacturer allocates production time.
If the big brands pay more, then they could will get precedence for production.

[and some brand manufacturers make a big song & dance about not doing own-label production]

Was at the big Tescos in Hackney the other day and the only eggs eggs left were the luxury ones. Honestly I didn't think about the slow collapse of food security starting with a situation where I can still merrily buy chocolate and coffee from around the world while being unable to source a boiled egg, but the logic's all there I guess.

Anyone else noticed supermarket meat appears to have become insanely watery? I have started going to my local " high class" butcher on the basis that a non sopping wet hunk of meat is probably better value than a bag of blood and water even if it costs a couple of quid more a kilo..

Was at the big Tescos in Hackney the other day and the only eggs eggs left were the luxury ones. Honestly I didn't think about the slow collapse of food security starting with a situation where I can still merrily buy chocolate and coffee from around the world while being unable to source a boiled egg, but the logic's all there I guess.
That Tesco (assume you mean the one in Morning Lane) is always rubbish. I gave up going there years ago when I lived nearby after the time I went in and they had no onions, no potatoes, no milk and pretty much no bread which was just about my entire shopping list. :rolleyes: And they'd always have about one person on the checkouts and huge, huge queues too.

According to the bloke in the small local electricals shop there's a minor shortage of monoxide and smoke alarms

Back
Top Bottom