Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thread to note supply shortages in the shops

So my last grocery delivery was missing a lot of fresh fruit and veg. even chopped canned tomatoes. I’ve got some sauerkraut in butt should go to the green grocer this week. I know I should do that anyway, but often it’s not convenient if I need loads of other stuff as well. by the way 50p for a pepper is cheap. I’m sure they are normally around 70.

One of the warnings about the consequences of Brexit was the destruction of the UK's agri food industry.

Seems project fear is again turning to project reality.
I gather that before Brexit farmers were being paid less than the cost of production which is why so many are turning to petting farms, campsites b&bs etc. I think the suicide rate amongst farmers is high.

i see this as a good thing, cows terrible for the environment, milk production basically cow torture, oats grow easily in the UK, oat milk the future
One example of many.
Also supermarkets have such exacting standards when it comes to looks, size and shape of fruit n veg.

So my last grocery delivery was missing a lot of fresh fruit and veg. even chopped canned tomatoes. I’ve got some sauerkraut in butt should go to the green grocer this week. I know I should do that anyway, but often it’s not convenient if I need loads of other stuff as well. by the way 50p for a pepper is cheap. I’m sure they are normally around 70.
Plenty of tinned tomatoes in store today, chopped or otherwise.

I gather that before Brexit farmers were being paid less than the cost of production which is why so many are turning to petting farms, campsites b&bs etc. I think the suicide rate amongst farmers is high.
The CAP did subsidise farmers and in some cases helped to protect certain crops/livestock and ways of living, however the British government promised to match the lost EU payments. They haven't and instead are rolling out a new scheme. For many farmers the CAP was the difference between profit and loss.

If they go out of business, those farmers will be gone forever, making the UK even more reliant on imports and further supply shocks which have shown how vulnerable the UK's food logistics are...

For many farmers the CAP was the difference between profit and loss.
If they go out of business, those farmers will be gone forever, making the UK even more reliant on imports and further supply shocks which have shown how vulnerable the UK's food logistics are...
Particularly livestock farmers. Meat will become much more expensive. The world needs to go vegetarian though, so...

The CAP was a disaster in all sorts of ways and the fact we can create a more sensible subsidy scheme is one of the few benefits of Brexit. Obviously the government have fucked that up though, as can be expected. And perhaps reforming farm support schemes without looking at the wider food system / market and the supermarkets' role is a flawed approach.

The failure of farmers in the now doesn't necessarily mean added reliance on imports in the medium-long term (land tends to stay put), but avoiding that becoming the case requires a deep understanding of and strategic thinking about how to rebuild the industry on a more sustainable basis. And for all that the Tory Party is riddled with obnoxious "country squire" wannabes I've rarely if ever seen any emphasis being put on either.

The really dangerous bit is if they scrape along continuing to encourage farmers to fund themselves by selling prime land to speculative developers while also allowing giant agri-businesses to muscle in and finish turning the entire sector into a fertility-stripping cartel setup. Currently that seems to be the plan, voted for by the countryside itself (or more specifically, by knee-jerk generational loyalists alongside the 4x4-toting middle classes who now infest every crevice of the countryside and can't tell the difference between a carrot and a cow).

Given a lot of rural/libertarian euroscepticism was based on annoyance with CAP and MPs like George Eustice went from UKIP to Tory, I had assumed that of all sectors of the economy this would be the one they had a fully formed set of plans. I recall reading one or two back in the day too.

But I now think the government/controlling Brexiter types are actually more interested in just cutting farm support and agricultural regulation. What we end up with is less clear but I suspect more like Antipodean farm sectors. In other words, a lot more concentration where possible.

Given a lot of rural/libertarian euroscepticism was based on annoyance with CAP and MPs like George Eustice went from UKIP to Tory, I had assumed that of all sectors of the economy this would be the one they had a fully formed set of plans. I recall reading one or two back in the day too.

But I now think the government/controlling Brexiter types are actually more interested in just cutting farm support and agricultural regulation. What we end up with is less clear but I suspect more like Antipodean farm sectors. In other words, a lot more concentration where possible.
we already have a lot of megafarms and land in general is owned in very few hands
i really dont know enough about it but im not sure theres a lot of room for extending this. Aristocrats and Corporations between them own the majority arleady.
Its very different to former soviet countries (like ukraine in fact) where there are lots of smallholdings to consolidate by (often US) agribusiness

things can always get worse though

Still no peppers. I’ve been every day to a variety of shops. I really miss peppers.
I could have bought a tiny tray or roasting veg for about 3 quid or a tiny jar of peppers for about 4.

I did not but I did buy some yumnuts which are apparently a yum yum/donut hybrid.
Peppers are not in season. It is normal that you can't have them.

I largely agree with FabricLiveBaby! anyway, the prices the UK supermarkets were trying to charge are fantasy-land, no wonder they can't get stock. I live in an extremely well-supplied area of Italy with locally-produced fruit and veg being easily accessible through multiple different points (real farmers markets, wholesaler markets, discount supermarkets, high end supermarkets, organic-specialty shops) at all different price ranges -- and even here I think finding tomatoes at less than €3.50 a kilo would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, unless you're taking proper discount stuff that is gonna go rotten within 24 hours of purchase.

Cherry tomatoes at the coop cost about €6 a kilo. Anywhere between €3.50 and €5 is now normal for your average tomatoes.

Peppers are not in season. It is normal that you can't have them.

I agree that peppers aren't in season, but it has become "normal" for us to expect them, and other seasonal vegetables, to be available all year round.

People's expectations about availability and price have become unreasonable, as a result of the structural distortions of the food market, largely driven by supermarkets.

You'd be surprised - corporations still only own quite a relatively limited amount of UK land (far less than the fecking aristocrats and nouveau riche), which is often for land banking purposes rather than agriculture-centric. That sort of land is often leased by smaller concerns.

1678119876549.png

Farming specifically is still a fairly mixed bag of owned and rented (source):

1678120090699.png

With 54% being owner-occupied, 14% tenanted and 31% mixed-tenure. It's difficult to find stats on this stuff, particularly on who ultimately owns a given piece of land or is profiting off farming it, but it's not as fully multinational corpo as is sometimes portrayed. Savills reckons there's 194,000 farms in the UK with only 20% of those being 250+ acres and more than half being less than 50, smaller tending to be more likely family-run. Only 1/5th of farms make a profit greater than £75k p/a. Around 6% of farms are signed up with the various co-ops. So somewhere in there seems to be an intimation that there is still a reasonably sizeable independent farming sector, but it's in decline (and old - something like 70% of farm owners are aged 55 or over).

Loads of useful stats here about the industry at large. There's also a really useful survey by the Welsh Government which is obv specific but can probably also be considered indicative. It notes:

The 2019 June Agricultural Survey in Wales estimated a total of 24,807 farms. The majority (14,658, 59%) of these are classed as VS in terms of economic size; a further 6,943 (28%) are classed as S (Figure 2). Together these VS&S farms account for almost 9 out of 10 Welsh farms and thus the overwhelming majority of households operating farms fall into these size classes. This fact makes them of great importance to societal and political issues. However, because these farms are small in economic terms, they account for a relatively minor proportion of the estimated turnover from farming in Wales; VS farms contribute €101 million (5%) and S farms €415 million (22%) to the €1,906 million total.
Which would suggest the bigger landowners (presumably including medium-sized farms and up, as well as outfits like the National Trust) and agri-corps are generating the other 73% of income I guess?

Last edited:
Not a shop but... No thyroxine and it's been 8 working days since I ordered it! I usually manage to forget one or two tablets per month and keep those strips at the back of the cupboard for emergencies when I forget to order some more. God only knows why I thought last month was the perfect time to use them up.

Not a shop but... No thyroxine and it's been 8 working days since I ordered it! I usually manage to forget one or two tablets per month and keep those strips at the back of the cupboard for emergencies when I forget to order some more. God only knows why I thought last month was the perfect time to use them up.
Sorry to hear that. Yes, Mrs lr has been having trouble with thyroxine supplies too. In fact our prescriptions generally have been shaky. We quite often have to trail around pharmacies looking for someone who can fulfil a prescription. Which when like me you have chronic fatigue and chronic pain isn’t ideal.

One of my prescriptions has been having supply issues for months now too. Not an issue previously as my old pharmacist was brilliant and would check with their suppliers to see what alternatives were currently available and then contact the GP for a new prescription, but he's left and the new pharmacist claims to still not be able to access any of their online ordering accounts as well as being rubbish more generally.

In hospital there's been shortages of blood supplies recently (was in the news) and regular shortages of medical equipment like catheters, as well as some drugs.

Went into the large supermarket near me today for first time in 10 days, the fruit and veg aisles were all pretty much empty. Was quite shocking to see.

People's expectations about availability and price have become unreasonable, as a result of the structural distortions of the food market, largely driven by supermarkets.
Totally agree. The modern consumer society where everything was available relatively cheaply, all of the time -- that was built on any extremely precarious and fragile basis (exploitation and capitalism) and the cracks are really beginning to show under the multiple strains of climate breakdown and massive social alienation leading to bureaucratic nightmares like Brexit

Sorry to hear that. Yes, Mrs lr has been having trouble with thyroxine supplies too. In fact our prescriptions generally have been shaky. We quite often have to trail around pharmacies looking for someone who can fulfil a prescription. Which when like me you have chronic fatigue and chronic pain isn’t ideal.

Sounds like I need to order my thyroxine sooner rather than waiting till I’ve 5 days left like I usually do

My local Tesco seems to be constantly running out of eggs lately. Is there a national shortage of hens now? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom