Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Well, nothing to lose. I hope Crawley cracks the first ball to the boundary again and carries on like that. This game feels like such a letdown though. Didn't they used to have 'reserve days'? In which case this series would still be alive.

I turned the radio on. 60-odd for no wicket :thumbs:

Then we immediately lost 2 wickets.

I turned the radio off. I'm a jinx.

Is it sacrilege to point some plaudits in the way of the Aussies this series? They've stood up to Bazball, away from home, and are winning. And their own cricket hasn't been boring either really.

England need a new seamer pronto and a new medic or whoever the fuck is letting Mooen Ali in the side.

Just checked the guardian comments bit. Yeh, overwhelmingly the problem is selection. Bairstow, Moeen and Anderson should not be there. If Foakes had played this would still be a live game. And surely there's a spinner out there in the county game that can last a match? Jimmy - yeh, he had to play. This is his last match. I'll give them that dodgy selection.

Just checked the guardian comments bit. Yeh, overwhelmingly the problem is selection. Bairstow, Moeen and Anderson should not be there. If Foakes had played this would still be a live game. And surely there's a spinner out there in the county game that can last a match? Jimmy - yeh, he had to play. This is his last match. I'll give them that dodgy selection.
I'll be honest, I don't watch cricket enough to know the detail of the choices faced by the selectors on those 3. However, there's a sense in which the Anderson decision should have been the easiest of all - to not pick him. Yeah, of course, it would have been hard, there's always the chance of one last hurrah - but did they really think that would happen? Absolutely shouldn't have been picked this time and almost certainly shouldn't have been the 4th test. 3rd, I dunno. Being a selector should occasionally requires you to be a hard nosed shit.

“As soon as the physio left the pitch he was like: ‘Should I just tee off now?’” said Harry Brook, who top-scored for England with 85. “I said: ‘You should have been doing that from the start.’

^^^ That's Harry Brook at stumps on Moeen. Why the fuck would you promote a no.8 to no.3 if he's going to pretend he's Jonathan Trott.

I'll be honest, I don't watch cricket enough to know the detail of the choices faced by the selectors on those 3. However, there's a sense in which the Anderson decision should have been the easiest of all - to not pick him. Yeah, of course, it would have been hard, there's always the chance of one last hurrah - but did they really think that would happen? Absolutely shouldn't have been picked this time and almost certainly shouldn't have been the 4th test. 3rd, I dunno. Being a selector should occasionally requires you to be a hard nosed shit.

Bairstow was promised the day he injured his ankle while playing golf that as soon as he was fit he'd be back in the side. During his recovery time, Ben Foakes stepped in and England won everything. Bairstow's selection has cost these Ashes in my opinion. The selectors got that gravely wrong.

Bairstow was promised the day he injured his ankle while playing golf that as soon as he was fit he'd be back in the side. During his recovery time, Ben Foakes stepped in and England won everything. Bairstow's selection has cost these Ashes in my opinion. The selectors got that gravely wrong.
Spectacular catch from Root there, but Baiirstow watched it fly past, rather adding to your line.

Spectacular catch from Root there, but Baiirstow watched it fly past, rather adding to your line.

I admire the loyalty of the management to him on a human level. But Foakes must have spent the last couple of months sitting there tearing his hair out.

Back
Top Bottom