Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Snooker 2023 - 24

That was a ridiculous black from Wilson. Tbh I don't particularly hate him or Jones. As long as the gruesome twosome of Murphy and Carter are out. Also, Wilson looks like an Asterix character.

Snooker commentary pisses me off so I watch it with the sound off.

Re the Crucible debate, if anyone has been watching this filler piece, any move that means only one table and one audience for every televised match is fine by me, whether it’s in Sheffield or a parvenu petrostate.

Re the Crucible debate, if anyone has been watching this filler piece, any move that means only one table and one audience for every televised match is fine by me, whether it’s in Sheffield or a parvenu petrostate.
I will need to watch that back on iplayer.

One of the things I like about getting my first round tickets is that if one session finishes early I get to see another match too. Last year I really benefited from the two table situation. They'd need to lower ticket price as far as I am concerned.

I will need to watch that back on iplayer.

One of the things I like about getting my first round tickets is that if one session finishes early I get to see another match too. Last year I really benefited from the two table situation. They'd need to lower ticket price as far as I am concerned.

That makes sense, it’s likely only as a television viewer that noise from the other table is distracting.

Not a classic final, but a good one in the end. Jones came back well but made too many simple errors. I agree with whoever said earlier that Bingham would probably have beaten Wilson (in a totally different, high-scoring final). Not his fault, but Wilson got a bit lucky with the draw, only facing one other seed.

I'd like to see the stats on who has won the final over the years. I suspect that the player who finishes in the afternoon on the Saturday has won it more times than the player who finishes in the evening. Definitely a hangover from the day before for Jones in the first session, and not the first time that has happened.

Re The Crucible, I love the fact that the crowd are right on top of the players with the two tables. Plus wot Me76 said about one session finishing early. And it has the history to it that you can't buy. Bill Werbenuik popping his head around the partition to watch Thorburn's 147, for example.

£50 a ticket. Last year, the table I was booked on finished after three frames. But I got to watch the other match for the other 1.5 session.

I'm not going to pay £50 to only see a couple of frames..

Eta, plus travel costs.
And they arrange it like that on purpose. Where possible you have a match to a finish on one side and a match at an earlier stage on the other.

Do they still do other entertainment if it all finishes early? Back in the day, John Virgo would come out and do his impressions routine.

It's only a game, so...

We enjoyed the final, and the tournament. Nice to see a few unfamiliar faces making the last 8/4/2 for a change.

I see Jak Jones has jumped up from 44th place in the rankings to 14th :eek: after losing yesterday. This'll stand him in good stead for next season I imagine. More tournaments, more sponsorship etc

It's only a game, so...

We enjoyed the final, and the tournament. Nice to see a few unfamiliar faces making the last 8/4/2 for a change.

I see Jak Jones has jumped up from 44th place in the rankings to 14th :eek: after losing yesterday. This'll stand him in good stead for next season I imagine. More tournaments, more sponsorship etc
14th gets you in the Masters :thumbs:

14th gets you in the Masters :thumbs:
Only if he's still there after the UKs in December.

Wilson was probably the most consistent player over the 17 days, but he may well end up in the Parrott-Dott-Murphy-Robertson single win camp.

Hazel said that Kyren was the 23rd winner at the Crucible, so I set myself a little task to recount them all. I got to 22, then remembered that I needed Thorburn and not Mountjoy, but forgot that John Spencer's last win was the first year in Sheffield.

Only if he's still there after the UKs in December.
He doesn't have to do too much to stay there, though. Of his 300,000-odd points, 250,000 of them come from the world champs this year and last year. He basically isn't defending any points of note until the next world champs.

It is amazing really. He's been the definition of a journeyman, just about doing enough to keep his tour card, just about earning enough to get by. And now this. It is a great opportunity to push on.

Do those 300,000-odd points represent £300,000-odd pounds?
Yes. Money won in ranking events over the last two years. It's rolling, so each event kicks out the corresponding event two years ago.

Top 64 keep their tour cards. You need to win approx 40k a year to do that. It's not a lot when you consider expenses, including forking out for flights to China, which the players have to pay for themselves. Snooker's quite a hard graft if you're not in the top 30 or so.

It's not great for inclusion tbh. Both the finalists are good examples of players who've been backed by their families. Without some form of backing, it's pretty much impossible to break into professional snooker. Unless you're a genius like O'Sullivan, most players struggle to earn much in their first few years.

I'm not keen on the promises of much higher prize money. Better would be - as you suggest - to spread it across the sport.

Back
Top Bottom