Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wimbledon 2023

Does Wimbledon usually clash with the Ashes? 🤔
I keep going into pubs trying to catch some tennis, but they are all showing the cricket. Am reduced to sitting in a pub garden listening to Wimbledon coverage on the radio on my headphones.
I'm not sure. I know Wimbledon always used to be in June. Don't know why it's now later.

Does Wimbledon usually clash with the Ashes? 🤔
I keep going into pubs trying to catch some tennis, but they are all showing the cricket. Am reduced to sitting in a pub garden listening to Wimbledon coverage on the radio on my headphones.

Well the Ashes isn't annual and every other one is in Australia in their summer so it's normally only every four years here. When it is on though I think it would be normal to clash with Wimbledon.

Boulter is having an absolute horror show against Rybakina here :( It's such a shame, she's such a great aggressive player but hasn't seemed able to settle down.

Boulter is having an absolute horror show against Rybakina here :( It's such a shame, she's such a great aggressive player but hasn't seemed able to settle down.
I saw this (managed to get tickets for today in the ballot on about our fourth attempt).

Rybakina looks a strong contender to retain her title. Boulter didn't play badly, I thought, but was outclassed.

Also managed to see Alcaraz v Jarry, which was exciting, and Jabeur v Andreescu.

I've not long got in - a long day but wonderful.

Rublev v Bublik getting exciting - about to go to a fifth set.

I thought Rublev had it in the bag.

Rublev v Bublik getting exciting - about to go to a fifth set.

I thought Rublev had it in the bag.
And Bublik should be doing even better score-wise if he uses his head and stops trying to do second serve aces at crucial points :D

Glad Svitolina won but I thought it was out of order that Azarenka was booed off court. She didn't try and initiate a handshake, she just sort of nodded, which seemed like a reasonable thing to do under the circumstances.

Glad Svitolina won but I thought it was out of order that Azarenka was booed off court. She didn't try and initiate a handshake, she just sort of nodded, which seemed like a reasonable thing to do under the circumstances.
Haven’t seen this incident but it’s generally unusual for Wimbledon spectators to boo in an unfair manner. Will try to catch this up in the recap.

This is what Svitolina said in her post match press conference: "I think the tennis organisations have to come out with a statement that there will be no handshake between Russian/Belarusian and Ukrainian players."

That is probably right. She was booed herself recently after not shaking hands with Sabalenka, who is Belarusian.

Currently watching Eubanks produce some serious showboating tennis against a visibly frustrated Medvedev :eek: Very impressive.

As was Ons Jabeur earlier!

Alcaraz keeps upping his game. It’s mind boggling that he’s only 20 and has minimal experience on grass. If he continues to play this well (which of course there’s no guarantee of), I see him going all way Djokovic or not.

Whereas Djoko remains the favourite, and if he plays at his best is all but unbeatable, if he has a slightly off 80% day, the Alcaraz we saw today is more than capable of winning. Not very likely, but not far fetched either.

Barring any crippling injuries, I can’t even imagine what kind of player he might have matured into when he’s in his late twenties. At 20 he already looks the complete player with seemly no aspects of his game in need of improvement, so it’s scary what experience might add to his game :eek:

Whereas Djoko remains the favourite, and if he plays at his best is all but unbeatable, if he has a slightly off 80% day, the Alcaraz we saw today is more than capable of winning. Not very likely, but not far fetched either.

Barring any crippling injuries, I can’t even imagine what kind of player he might have matured into when he’s in his late twenties. At 20 he already looks the complete player with seemly no aspects of his game in need of improvement, so it’s scary what experience might add to his game :eek:
He's phenomenal. I think he'll win on Sunday.

On a different note, has the way in which ATP ranking points are awarded and defended changed? It certainly sounds that way.

It turns out the no. 1 ATP ranking spot is up for grabs on Sunday. But how can that be? Djoko won last year, so if he wins Wimbledon again the gets to keep the points he he’d previously earned; and if he loses, a few hundred points will be deducted come Monday morning for not matching last year’s result.

Meanwhile Alcaraz didn’t get past the fourth round last year, so even if he loses the final he will add extra points to his tally, and he’s already 80 points above Djoko… :confused:

On a different note, has the way in which ATP ranking points are awarded and defended changed? It certainly sounds that way.

It turns out the no. 1 ATP ranking spot is up for grabs on Sunday. But how can that be? Djoko won last year, so if he wins Wimbledon again the gets to keep the points he he’d previously earned; and if he loses, a few hundred points will be deducted come Monday morning for not matching last year’s result.

Meanwhile Alcaraz didn’t get past the fourth round last year, so even if he loses the final he will add extra points to his tally, and he’s already 80 points above Djoko… :confused:
There were no ATP points at Wimbledon last year as they’d banned Russian and Belorussian players. So Djokovic didn’t have any coming off from last year.

Coming into the tournament Djokovic was only 80 points behind Alcarez so the difference in points between the winner and runner up would push Djokovic ahead.

Last edited:
There were no ATP points at Wimbledon last year as they’d banned Russian and Belorussian players. So Djokovic didn’t have any coming off from last year.

Coming into the tournament Djokovic was only 95 points behind Alcarez so the difference in points between the winner and runner up would push Djokovic ahead.
Aaahhh…

Women's final: I really like them both, and am greatly enjoying watching a pair of players who aren't just big hitters battle it out. But I sooooo want Ons Jabeur to win.

She’s not playing well at all. Far too tight. Hopefully she’ll do what she’s done in previous matches and loosen up after losing the first set.

Back
Top Bottom