Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

Went shopping fearing the worst, then had to rush back to catch the end.

Woakes and Broad were fantastic today. Just unplayable. Moeen found a groove from somewhere and bowled beautifully. He really rips it, and when he starts landing it consistently, he's a fine bowler. Really pleased for him that he managed to produce today. And Mark Wood willed an important wicket with a bruised heel.

What a difference taking your catches makes. Stokes's blunder aside, England's catching has been excellent in the last couple of matches. Crawley dropped a very tough one, but that was the only catch he put down all series.

Dead rubber? Not a chance.

Look, I don't even know if I should write this, this is a sports forum, not community. But.

I've had the shittest year. My partner of 28 years died in January. I'm no longer the same person I was. This weekend I spent in London, yesterday on Hampstead Heath in the pissing rain, perhaps appropriately, commemorating Liza. It broke my heart, which is already broken anyway. Today I drove back the 5 hours to home and arrived suicidal. Hence my first post today, earlier, when Aus were lots for 3 and it all seemed lost. Like me.

What happened after that is what sport can do, and what it did for me. Maybe it's ridiculous that a game can have so much effect on a person. But I got lifted from the depths of annihilation and I can't thank England cricket enough. These are surreal times for me. And for cricket.

I'm just glad that right now, unlike 4 hours ago, I no longer want to die. It sounds facile to say that. But it's true. I don't understand life much anymore. But I know I understand cricket, my life long love.

Liza used to laugh at me. Called it 'shitball'. She'd be laughing with me now.

Look, I don't even know if I should write this, this is a sports forum, not community. But.

I've had the shittest year. My partner of 28 years died in January. I'm no longer the same person I was. This weekend I spent in London, yesterday on Hampstead Heath in the pissing rain, perhaps appropriately, commemorating Liza. It broke my heart, which is already broken anyway. Today I drove back the 5 hours to home and arrived suicidal. Hence my first post today, earlier, when Aus were lots for 3 and it all seemed lost. Like me.

What happened after that is what sport can do, and what it did for me. Maybe it's ridiculous that a game can have so much effect on a person. But I got lifted from the depths of annihilation and I can't thank England cricket enough. These are surreal times for me. And for cricket.

I'm just glad that right now, unlike 4 hours ago, I no longer want to die. It sounds facile to say that. But it's true. I don't understand life much anymore. But I know I understand cricket, my life long love.

Liza used to laugh at me. Called it 'shitball'. She'd be laughing with me now.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've also had a fucking shit year and yeh, cricket is a reassuring presence. Turn on the radio and there it is, like it has been all my life.

You should send that post to Ben Stokes who he himself went through the wringer after losing his old man and suffered hugely from mental health issues as a result. I think he'd appreciate it.

I just can't listen to it when England are being dismal - I can live with 90 minutes or 80 minutes of England losing but losing over a period of 5 days just depresses me :(

Today though makes up for all of that :)

I sometimes wonder if being an England cricket fan over the last 40 years or so has possibly damaged me in some ways. I expect them to fuck up. Sometimes I can't watch/listen for a bit for fear that they'll fuck up. Or I can watch/listen until something stupid happens, like today with Stokes's drop. It's utterly absurd and can't be healthy. I wonder if fans of more consistently successful teams are similarly scarred?

I sometimes wonder if being an England cricket fan over the last 40 years or so has possibly damaged me in some ways. I expect them to fuck up. Sometimes I can't watch/listen for a bit for fear that they'll fuck up. Or I can watch/listen until something stupid happens, like today with Stokes's drop. It's utterly absurd and can't be healthy. I wonder if fans of more consistently successful teams are similarly scarred?

Not wishing to turn this into a pity-top-trumps, but I also support Spurs :facepalm:

The thing about Cricket - well, 2 things - I can't actually watch us bat. Like only bad things can come from each delivery, as the good things are fairly attritional. So right there I don't - well, can't - actually like 50% of the game. So you'd think I'd prefer watching us bowling, right? Absolutely not. All teams seem to tear us apart, or we get awful luck or knock legit catches against our thighs to render them not-out.

The other thing, is the overbearing superstition of it all is also a killer. I can admit this now, but every time I tune in, it seems to be the second before the very delivery that breaks up a promising partnership. So I feel like apologising to all the fans around me, as it was clearly my 'fault' (see also, staying in my car outside my house for 20 odd minutes today as we were on a streak - and the nerve wracking period watching inside that caused the streak to stop). Note: Shelling out £280 yesterday to go to the game to watch zero Aus wickets did no wonders for said superstition fears :(

A brutal brutal sport for the fans. Can't wait for the next one :D

Not wishing to turn this into a pity-top-trumps, but I also support Spurs :facepalm:

The thing about Cricket - well, 2 things - I can't actually watch us bat. Like only bad things can come from each delivery, as the good things are fairly attritional. So right there I don't - well, can't - actually like 50% of the game. So you'd think I'd prefer watching us bowling, right? Absolutely not. All teams seem to tear us apart, or we get awful luck or knock legit catches against our thighs to render them not-out.

The other thing, is the overbearing superstition of it all is also a killer. I can admit this now, but every time I tune in, it seems to be the second before the very delivery that breaks up a promising partnership. So I feel like apologising to all the fans around me, as it was clearly my 'fault' (see also, staying in my car outside my house for 20 odd minutes today as we were on a streak - and the nerve wracking period watching inside that caused the streak to stop). Note: Shelling out £280 yesterday to go to the game to watch zero Aus wickets did no wonders for said superstition fears :(

A brutal brutal sport for the fans. Can't wait for the next one :D

Jesus Christ. We're all doing the same things at the same time.

Good article on the Aussie perspective from Geoff Lemon. He's always worth a read.

Australia should feel disappointment keenly having blown Ashes lead | Geoff Lemon

Distinct 'we blew it today' vibe. It is striking how the feel-good factor is firmly with England, but he's spot on with this.

It has been an unprecedented collection of close‑run things. Experiences such as this are the reason that we invest in sport. Here comes the payoff.

I've been lucky to have been to some amazing final days, such as Moeen taking the winning catch right in front of us (by that time very drunk) vs NZ, right after I'd shouted at Cook for putting him there. We have to earn those moments. A low point was being pitied by NZ fans at the Oval after a dismal capitulation in 1999 to lose match and series, which barely left time to get tipsy. Back then, you expected to lose, mind you. Stokes has given us the notion that maybe we should expect to win. The bastard.

Back
Top Bottom