Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2023

I've managed to catch up the whole 3 weeks in the last 5 days.. As I 'what if' I'm wondering how Pogacar and Vingegaard would have fared against a Froome/Skytrain in their prime? :confused:

I wonder if someone, or some team, might try an audacious jump in Paris tomorrow, knowing that Philipsen will almost certainly win otherwise. Vinokourov is the only non-sprinter I can remember winning on the Champs, in my thirty years of watching the Tour.

I wonder if someone, or some team, might try an audacious jump in Paris tomorrow, knowing that Philipsen will almost certainly win otherwise. Vinokourov is the only non-sprinter I can remember winning on the Champs, in my thirty years of watching the Tour.
That would be great. Presumably with so few sprinters left there will be fewer teams trying to chase down any breakaway.

That would be great. Presumably with so few sprinters left there will be fewer teams trying to chase down any breakaway.
I’d love to see Lotto block in Philipsen and somehow see Victor Campenaerts ride to an heroic solo victory but as well as Alpecin there’s at least five other teams (Jayco, DSM, Uni-X, Intermarche and Jumbo who will probably ride for Laporte) who’ll close down a break as winning on the Champs is so prestigious.
Anyone but Philipsen would be a positive result.

It won't happen, but Pinot to win today.
NB. it is a late start and finish today.
returning to amazing, unbelievable; I see the previous bigger win margin was Nibali in 2014 when two of the other favourites, Froome and Contador both crashed out.

I've managed to catch up the whole 3 weeks in the last 5 days.. As I 'what if' I'm wondering how Pogacar and Vingegaard would have fared against a Froome/Skytrain in their prime? :confused:
Every race is different, every stage has it's own strategy so it's pretty hard to compare. Perhaps you could compare the TTs but even then conditions/route are never equal.

Every race is different, every stage has it's own strategy so it's pretty hard to compare. Perhaps you could compare the TTs but even then conditions/route are never equal.

Yeah - I know it's probably a dumb question, but I wonder if they could've done anything different to Nibali or Contador - I figure Pogacar would stand the better chance of disrupting things.. as he did in his first Tour win..

Vinge racing the Vuelta - not sure whether that's good? I think on balance yes, but if he's on dominant form may just be boring. Be kind of weird if Roglic is in. And might give Remco a kick up the arse.

Yeah - I know it's probably a dumb question, but I wonder if they could've done anything different to Nibali or Contador - I figure Pogacar would stand the better chance of disrupting things.. as he did in his first Tour win..

I think Sky is a bit right place, right time, large budget. I suspect a lot of the marginal gains stuff was flat out bollocks... Clothes and rider position, yes, ceramic speed bearings, and lightspeed wheels, no. Proper training programmes, creating an environment in which riders could be 100% race focussed, proper nutrition, after race care etc (the Sky/Ineos bus), links to British Cycling absolutely. The modern peloton anyone competitive is doing similar. Better. Of course there's stuff extra budget will buy you (like having a decent roster), but there aren't the fundamental changes in approach their were in the past.

Probably the best peloton sprint of the whole Tour. I called it for Philipsen from the live head-on shot, but I'm pleased Meeus got it. Groenewegen had his best sprint of the race too, and Bol as the Cav stand-in.

Vino will ride for Rog, won't he? Only Froome's done the Tour-Vuelta double in my memory.

Why would they do that? He's still busy managing Astana and polishing his palmares.

But seriously they'll use Vinge/Ving/Vin/Jonas in whatever role is best for winning. Why would they do anything else? Putting him in the vuelta is not a risk-free proposition, if he's going to be there, they and he need to make the most of it.

Last edited:
I think Sky is a bit right place, right time, large budget. I suspect a lot of the marginal gains stuff was flat out bollocks... Clothes and rider position, yes, ceramic speed bearings, and lightspeed wheels, no. Proper training programmes, creating an environment in which riders could be 100% race focussed, proper nutrition, after race care etc (the Sky/Ineos bus), links to British Cycling absolutely. The modern peloton anyone competitive is doing similar. Better. Of course there's stuff extra budget will buy you (like having a decent roster), but there aren't the fundamental changes in approach their were in the past.

It was flat out bollocks as far as sky were concerned - Wiggens had his injections of corticosteroids, the doctor with the missing laptop etc. It does make me angry how that is all glossed over, if it was a foreign cyclist there’d be mare about it.

It was flat out bollocks as far as sky were concerned - Wiggens had his injections of corticosteroids, the doctor with the missing laptop etc. It does make me angry how that is all glossed over, if it was a foreign cyclist there’d be mare about it.

Yeah, I won't disagree on that lot. Though I'm sure they were genuine about all the marginal gains stuff. I mean doping and belief in woo isn't exactly an unprecedented combination.

Ah I forgot about the Wout Poels stage. That was a classic as well especially as I was following the Sporza live ticker for that and they were getting a bit too superfluous in their praise for Van Aert.

Back
Top Bottom