Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour De France 2024 - chasing yellow

Some folk on twitter appear to be bored with Pogacar winning everything. Weird really.. I don't watch as much cycling as I used to.. but this is vastly more interesting than peak-Froome era..
He didn't win the tour in 22 and 23 (when Vingo was fully fit) and he's not been world champion (yet).

That's impressive though winning 2 GTs and a Monument and a podium in another Monument. He might as well bring his bicycle. some headphones and his favorite podcasts to spin around Spain and add the Vuelta.

Last edited:
According to Wiki he's 8kg heavier than Vingegaard, and almost exactly the same height. Remco's apparently between the two of them, although he looks a lot more squat than either.
Remco has problems getting his weight down as he's the perfect build, if not a little short, for a football midfield general (he played for Belgium up to under-16 level).
I hope he has saved something for the Olympics.

I think the folk on twitter are saying it's boring cause the breakaway aren't getting a chance.

Now much as I rate Thomas De Gendt's 2019 stage 8 victory as one of the greatest moments in cycling history, I'm not sure that's true.

Attachments

• thomas_de_gendt_stage_8_2019_tour_de_france_eurosport.jpg
    thomas_de_gendt_stage_8_2019_tour_de_france_eurosport.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 7
Sadly pogs lead is too great for it to be challenged in tomorrows TT, which I gather is quite technical with a hill or two. It won't be the last gasp finish the organisers hoped for.

Anyone know what the 'feud' between Carapaz and the Visma team is about?
I think someone nicked the solitary KoM point for the peloton from him on the first climb. I can't remember who, but it may have been a Visma rider.

When was the last time someone won more than six stages in a single Tour. I remember Cav getting six one year, and Wiki says the record is eight, last done by Maertens in 1976. I ask because Pog will be on six tomorrow if he wins the TT.

I think someone nicked the solitary KoM point for the peloton from him on the first climb. I can't remember who, but it may have been a Visma rider.

When was the last time someone won more than six stages in a single Tour. I remember Cav getting six one year, and Wiki says the record is eight, last done by Maertens in 1976. I ask because Pog will be on six tomorrow if he wins the TT.
Yes a Visma rider did nick an unneeded Mountain point for no reason but it looks like that was a consequence of something previous rather than the cause.

There’s idiots online saying Pog is “greedy” and should let more breakaways win.

Errrr, no.
To hell with breakaway wins. Bugs me all these people putting more acclaim on a breakaway stage win (eg Van Aert on Ventoux, Pidcock on d'Huez) when the main guys were keeping an eye on each other, than on a one day Monument.

Last edited:
I must've heard it before, but the Slovenian national anthem is a bit of a dirge, isn't it? Shite as it may be, at least God Save the Queen/King is short.

I'm surprised Cav didn't ask not to wear the stupid helmet.

It'd be interesting if he did... from what I read this week they're saying it's physiologically pretty difficult as you train to peak for 1 tour, and if you're doing, say the Giro/Tour double... you use the first half of the Giro to train up, and hope you don't burn out towards the end of the Tour..

til that americans who are neither Lemond nor Armstrong have won both the Vuelta and the Giro , and an irishman who is not Roche has won the Vuelta.

Back
Top Bottom