Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2023

I never realised a spectator caused the pile-up.

The only good that could come from that is that it might highlight the need for spectators more vigilant, which I doubt given the big crash 2 years ago with that tourist and her cardboard sign.

It was the selfie morons this time.

Convincing win by JonasV today but you can never write off Pogacar. UAE Team are strong and JV is a marked man so who knows.

Yeah indeed, Hatch was giving it the ol' "and Vingegaard secures victory for the weekend", which annoys the shit out of me. Two mountain stages left. And a hilly, but that looks relatively controllable, as no doubt the flat will be. When these two crack each other, substantial losses are a possibility... Of course Vinge has secured himself a significant margin, but it's not over until the Champs Elysees.

Yeah indeed, Hatch was giving it the ol' "and Vingegaard secures victory for the weekend", which annoys the shit out of me. Two mountain stages left. And a hilly, but that looks relatively controllable, as no doubt the flat will be. When these two crack each other, substantial losses are a possibility... Of course Vinge has secured himself a significant margin, but it's not over until the Champs Elysees.
Great result today.
I agree 2 big mountain stages to come, but Friday is quite lumpy.
It annoyed me that the commentary on ITV4 say its all over. Vinny can and should take nothing for granted until Saturday night.
Pog post race has just said it's definitely not over, especially if it rains.

Yep. Look at the profile for the Col de la Loze. It’s over 28km (!), with the final 2km having ramps of over 25%, at over 2000m altitude. Have even a slightly bad day there and you could lose several minutes in the blink of an eye. It’s savage.

well it is really, its not over til the night before Paris!

With doping I think you have to a) provide a mechanism that works for the specific effect (why just Vinge, why just one day, what type of doping?), b) explain why it's undetectable and/or unknown (it's not the early 2000s anymore, every gym bro nerd is browsing sci-hub for the latest research).

Not to say that there isn't doping of course... But the best theories I've come across are stuff like trying to set bio passport markers around altitude camps (when natural EPO levels are out anyway, that being the point in altitude), then microdosing. Similar with long term roid etc microdosing. But these don't provide massive on-the-day results, just overall better performance, better recovery etc. And every fucker goes altitude camping.

With doping I think you have to a) provide a mechanism that works for the specific effect (why just Vinge, why just one day, what type of doping?), b) explain why it's undetectable and/or unknown (it's not the early 2000s anymore, every gym bro nerd is browsing sci-hub for the latest research).

Not to say that there isn't doping of course... But the best theories I've come across are stuff like trying to set bio passport markers around altitude camps (when natural EPO levels are out anyway, that being the point in altitude), then microdosing. Similar with long term roid etc microdosing. But these don't provide massive on-the-day results, just overall better performance, better recovery etc. And every fucker goes altitude camping.
Quite. It’s all a bit daft.

You can look at the stats, look at the performance relative to other riders and it’s enough to raise eyebrows.
Traditionally anti doping has been behind, something which will only get worse with all the new designer drugs. Armstrong never tested positive…

6AC4C988-A74A-4D63-A39B-D47FF72D4C12.jpeg

is there a similar comparison with previous years? as a casual viewer, it just does seem an extraordinary difference from 1 to 2 to the pack.

Quite. It’s all a bit daft.
Also all Vinge does is concentrate on the Tour. Everything is geared toward that. The other races he does are just prep for the Tour whereas Pog is more old school and wins Monuments like Flanders - the best tour of them all ;)
Having said that it is rather eye opening as is Van Aert's headless chicken efforts day in day out. That's gone under the radar due to his amazing ability to finish second or third.

Oh dear...coming out of Meribel. A sad day for the tour and racing

Little dramatic. It's a sad day for Pogi, but it has been a fantastic tour and he will be back, with lessons learned. The dude's 24.

It probably also makes some sense of the huge gap between the two of them yesterday. He's just not in quite the right form for the tour...

Back
Top Bottom